Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 05/15/2010 - Autocross Points Event #3 - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 05/15/2010 - Autocross Points Event #3

Thank you to everyone who came out and made today's event a success.

I've already uploaded the results - you can view them at www.nccautocross.com (bottom left corner).

I was pleasantly surprised with the grip offered by the surface for today's event - much better than my memory of the past. I was able to log ~1.1 g's cornering, ~.8 accelerating, and ~.9 decelerating.

I hope that my drifting antics around the "horseshoe" turn provided some entertainment.

Jonathan Thayer

Holy fast results Batman!

Lost by a tenth! AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

arrrgh! One car away from being the fastest non-BMW. Foiled again! Nice driving, Rookie Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Thank you to everyone who came out and made today's event a success.
    I've already uploaded the results - you can view them at www.nccautocross.com (bottom left corner).
    Thanks for getting the results out so quickly! I needed my times so I could complete the titles on my videos.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised with the grip offered by the surface for today's event - much better than my memory of the past. I was able to log ~1.1 g's cornering, ~.8 accelerating, and ~.9 decelerating.

I hope that my drifting antics around the "horseshoe" turn provided some entertainment.

Jonathan Thayer
    Since someone stuck me at the check-in tent, I was able to take videos around that turn. I'll upload the file tonight (it's 1GB) and post the link tomorrow. I got you, AJ, Reach and James L.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Quote Originally Posted by SamB325es View Post
    Holy fast results Batman!

Lost by a tenth! AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
    Are we sure that M3 is stock?
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Some more footage and antics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB7TLWKw6ak

It was definitely more grippy than in the past. Yaaay!!!

This event was a total blast. I'm happy with a 40.478 as well. The drifting antics from some (including myself in the fun run were great to watch. I still can't believe that 39.1 run in the white stock WRX. Wow...

Who took vids/pics of the fun run? I want to see my smoky 360

I can live with 5th out of 11 in X3. I expected worse.

The Mazdaspeed Miata probably wasn't the proper weapon of choice in Waldorf and it definitely wasn't at SP today. Combine the six-speed tranny, a short final drive, a lower redline than standard Miatas and of course that little turbo helping things go faster, I got to the rev limiter fast, and there were three places where the fast stretches were too long to just ride in 2nd cause that wasn't getting me anywhere. I wound up shifting to 3rd getting onto the straight leading into the horseshoe, then down to 2nd for the couple turns on the other side of the horseshoe, then back to 3rd for the run to the Chicago box. If I hit the box right I could run 3rd to the finish without getting too badly bogged down, otherwise it was pretty frustrating. I'm not really wired to shift during autocross. Going up was OK but the downshift was sometimes clunky. My best timed run was the 3rd run but I never really thought I put a whole good run together till the second fun run, and timing was down so I don't know how well I would have done if I put all the pieces together during 'official' time.

I got lazy yesterday and that cost me too. I was going to pull the stock MSM 17" wheels/General Exclaim UHP and put on my 15x7 Koseis with RE11s, but those were on my '99 and I didn't feel like having to shuffle cars/wheels/tires, even with air tools and stuff that make the job relatively easier. Prep involved washing the car and putting my helmet and numbers in the trunk. Then the hailstorm blew through Waldorf and dinged up the hood and trunk. Didn't have that good a Saturday there.

For me the jury is out on SP. This was the first time I ran it and I found it to be way slicker than I had been led to believe. I'll have to try it again with the better tires before making a real opinion on the place. Gotta like the speed, though, not many autocrosses let me get to 3rd and still have space to keep the right foot on the floor. I didn't like the last turn before the finish, seemed pretty hairy to have to make a big left staring down dirt and grass and a downhill slope if someone messed up. At least it was dry!

Don't know if a return trip to SP in June is in my cards, but July in Waldorf is definitely on my schedule. I might have to switch cars, though. The MSM just runs out of steam on the courses you're putting together so I might have to go B0000ST-free.

2010 Autocrossers Inc. STS champion
    2010 NCCBMWCCA X3 first loser

Claff, if it makes you feel any better, I had the choice of bouncing off the limiter in 2nd in 3 parts of the course (where I got over 57mph!), or going into 3rd and bogging around out of boost in those sections. So I feel your pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    I still can't believe that 39.1 run in the white stock WRX. Wow...
    I can't either....he beat me by 3/10ths and I have some light suspension work and RE01Rs....

He was only on his 2nd event ever, too! That's a quick learner...because he was a ways behind me at Waldorf, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    Claff, if it makes you feel any better, I had the choice of bouncing off the limiter in 2nd in 3 parts of the course (where I got over 57mph!), or going into 3rd and bogging around out of boost in those sections. So I feel your pain!
    Same here. Even with a 7200 RPM redline in the '09 NC2 Miata I was bouncing off the limiter heading into the long sweeper. Unfortunately in the fun run I finally figured out that shifting into 3rd even if for two seconds was the right answer.

I wish I messed with pressures too. My tire pressures were way too high for the sealed surface. I know I would have dipped into the 30s with proper pressures.

Next time, Briskie...next time.

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    I can't either....he beat me by 3/10ths and I have some light suspension work and RE01Rs....

He was only on his 2nd event ever, too! That's a quick learner...because he was a ways behind me at Waldorf, as I recall.
    Waldorf was not great for him or me, for whatever reason. But you're right, he did learn quickly. I wish his car was more fun to watch, it's all no-drama and low-pitch boxer rumble!

Thanks for getting the results posted. I was surprised to see that I finished first in the X3 class

I too had to shift into 3rd on that back part going into the horseshoe. I remember glancing down and seeing 66 before I got on the brakes. Wasn't in 3rd really long (2nd red lines at 57), but definitely needed to do it.
    Jim
    2005 Honda S2000

Last edited by Uber-Goober; 05-15-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Claffie,

Don't fret brother. I had to shift to 3rd too. The MX5 is always a perfect tool - the car is that great. I have a 94 M edition as a daily driver, and compete against James Dunham, who shares some of your gripes about gearing - it is understandable.

With respect to Summit Point: believe it or not, it is less slippery than it was in the past. I too was ready to throw in the towel on the venue --especially because it was also always wet. Talk about slippery!!

The good things are the following: (1) you will certainly see third on many of the SCCA courses, and it is undoubtedly better to practice that here than there; (2) most seasoned drivers have experienced the "out of placeness" of the 3rd shift and subsequent downshift because it is less common in autocross. The cool thing is that when you get it, it is one of the coolest feelings ever; (3) you are a very good driver, and should not succumb to the transient frustrations that we all encounter when at the different plateaus of development. This year has been a 3rd gear year. 3rd gear at SCCA, 3rd gear at Cumberland, 3rd gear at Summit Point. Just practice when you are out driving around on a back road going from 3rd to 2nd while saying the ABC's backwards or something to distract yourself. You are the type of proficient and safe driver that we want to at our events, so just because you are developing as a driver, and Summit Point is a challenge, should not restrict you from coming next month. It really is a great place to learn a lot of things that cannot be learned at conventional venues.

Overall, I understand your frustration, but I also bet that if you bring the same Miata back next time, after rehearsing the shifts, that you will feel more rewarded for your hard work.

Below is just one of many Summit Point videos that I have that sucked, but were the suffering that contributed to relatively good days like today. Perhaps today was one of those days for you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYz_KlTaSI

The video below was taken on one of the first days I can remember where I hit 3rd gear at SCCA, and if it is not in the video, then it was not uploaded, but I completely botched the downshift that day twice because I was so happy just to get into 3rd. I was like "yeaaah!!" going into 3rd.... then like "ohhh shii...." when I forgot all the other stuff like.. say.. turning, and what to do about the gearing. Meanwhile, seasoned guys like Woody were easily heel-toeing and staying on line. After many events like that, I nailed all my downshifts today with the exception of one. I am saying this because I think you should just keep working at it, even if it sucks at first and seems like the other Miata's gearing would prevent the need. Sooner or later, you will need to shift to 3rd in any Miata, so you might as well get you shift on now. I found it. It is at the 3:00 mark on the SCCA video. I even said "damnit" and you can see my turn is all jacked up in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNPQ6zs35L8
    Last edited by noelleslie; 05-15-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uber-Goober View Post
    Link doesn't work for me...

Thread Information