Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2010) Autocross Tires
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2010) Autocross Tires

(2010) Autocross Tires

I didn't know anything about tires when I started looking to replace the ones I have this so I just thought I'd share my research to help others out.

I've been looking for a decent set of tires for autocross since the tires that came with my E46 M3 ZCP when I bought it don't stick very well -- Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/40ZR19 front and 255/35ZR19 back.

I checked with other autocrossers and the most recommended tires were the following (in alphabetical order):

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
    Dunlop Direzza Sport Z-1 Star Spec
    Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08

I plugged all three tires into my favorite search engine from 1996 (AltaVista), and found the following review from TireRack:

Based on the input I've gotten from other autocrossers and TireRack and since they're a little cheaper, I'm going with the AD08 in 245/35R19 for the front and 275/30R19 for the back. My M3 has these wheels and I believe they should fit. If I'm wrong about the fit, please let me know!

I also thought about getting new wheels but I don't know what I would do with the old set of wheels and tires so I'm sticking with them -- for now.

Thanks to Noel, Nick, Reach and Ron for their input and patience. Comments, suggestions and violent objections welcome!
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

You'll like the AD08's over the SPT's, big improvement even though the SPT's aren't all that bad. I used to have the SPT's on my street wheels a couple years ago. I remember running a CDC weekend, Saturday and Sunday, both days had the same course(Sunday was just T&T). I ran the Bridgestone RE-01R's at the time on Saturday and then the SPT's on Sunday. IIRC, The SPT's were at peak performance on their second run(on a short course), after that they couldn't handle the heat for any improvement. I believe the time difference between those tires was around 1.5seconds. The new tires now are even faster. You'll probably see atleast a 1.5sec improvement all around.

What mod's do you have done to your car?

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

If I were running your car and had unlimited budget, I'd ditch the 19's and staggered setup for 18x10 all around with the widest tires that fit (275/285s) of the three you mentioned. You might need a spacer for that setup, but it has to be lighter and stickier. I am not a fan of staggered setups for 90% of autocross cars, and I think that will slow you down.

I was going to refer you to my tire thread from last year, but I guess it's gone from the forum. Check out bimmerforums to see what the rest of the E46 M3 people are doing... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=e46+m3+stu

Also, fyi... Adam set FTD at one of our events last season in the wet at SPR on your current tires, Kumho SPTs. I'd wait until they're totally trash before upgrading.
    Last edited by Biggins; 05-06-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    If I were running your car and had unlimited budget, I'd ditch the 19's and staggered setup for 18x10 all around with the widest tires that fit (275/285s) of the three you mentioned. You might need a spacer for that setup, but it has to be lighter and stickier. I am not a fan of staggered setups for 90% of autocross cars, and I think that will slow you down.

I was going to refer you to my tire thread from last year, but I guess it's gone from the forum. Check out bimmerforums to see what the rest of the E46 M3 people are doing... http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ght=e46+m3+stu

Also, fyi... Adam set FTD at one of our events last season in the wet at SPR on your current tires, Kumho SPTs. I'd wait until they're totally trash before upgrading.
    Here's your tire thread from last year - it wasn't lost!

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showthrea...29-Tire-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    You'll probably see atleast a 1.5sec improvement all around.
    Getting stickier tires and finally learning to set the right tire pressure should help my psychologically as well. I'll be able to push harder and sooner out of turns since I won't be worried about spinning out.

What mod's do you have done to your car?
    I added a camera mount to the parcel shelf in the back. Nothing really. The previous owner put in a lot of cosmetic stuff like painting the stock calipers red but I haven't put anything in. I'm still at the point where I'm the slowest part of the car. I'd like to focus on being a better driver first. I'm worried that modding the car will mask a lot of driver error. Plus it'll put me in the same class as Bogdan and Reach. I need to beat James LeCompte first. Yes, James, that's a throw-down. That's for every time you've tried to psych me out!

If I were running your car and had unlimited budget, I'd ditch the 19's and staggered setup for 18x10 all around with the widest tires that fit (275/285s) of the three you mentioned. You might need a spacer for that setup, but it has to be lighter and stickier. I am not a fan of staggered setups for 90% of autocross cars, and I think that will slow you down..
    I've been considering getting new wheels and even justified it to myself that the new wheels would pay for themselves over time since the tires would be a little cheaper. Maybe I can find a decent used set on CL or here.

I am disappointed that the events haven't been as wet as last year. My first three events were underwater.

I would consider the Hankook Ventus v12 evo k110 as well. They perform pretty well in the wet and the dry. At ~100 a pop (for 245/40/17, anyway), they are real easy on the wallet. Car and Driver did a comparo with all the big names... might want to check it out. The Sumitomo HTR Z III is said to be about as good as the Hankook, but is not directional (can't flip the tires to get max life).

If you are still contemplating which tire to get by the next event, I can take you for a ride in my Hankook-equipped car if you'd like.
    Chris
    98.5 ///M3 Coupe

Cosmos Racing | UUC | PBR | Ground Control | Koni | AA | Motion Motorsports | Vorshlag | THR | Prosport

Nitto NT-05 deserves to be on the list as well. They are cheap as hell but they don't come with much meat on the tread, even new.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Nitto NT-05 deserves to be on the list as well. They are cheap as hell but they don't come with much meat on the tread, even new.
    ... But that is a COMP tire not a street tire ...

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    ... But that is a COMP tire not a street tire ...
    Wrong.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Wrong.
    Oops ... I read that as NT-01. I fail.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosporttsi View Post
    I would consider the Hankook Ventus v12 evo k110 as well. They perform pretty well in the wet and the dry. At ~100 a pop (for 245/40/17, anyway), they are real easy on the wallet. Car and Driver did a comparo with all the big names... might want to check it out. The Sumitomo HTR Z III is said to be about as good as the Hankook, but is not directional (can't flip the tires to get max life).

If you are still contemplating which tire to get by the next event, I can take you for a ride in my Hankook-equipped car if you'd like.
    Unless they're the Hankook RS3's, they're not even worth considering for autocross. The Kumho SPT's he has are far better than anything Hankook offers other than the RS2/RS3s.

I love the Dunlops, and they're very cheap for how good they are. You can't go wrong with the three tires you were considering.

The answer to your question depends on if you run SCCA or not. If you run SCCA, and since you've done nothing to your car, you're in a stock category. Everyone else will be on R-Comps, you'll be odd man out. I'd suggest some new wheels (smallest widest racing steelies you can fit) and some V710's or A6's. The wheels are quite cheap, just about everyone uses them if you can fit a 15 or below.

If SCCA is not on your calendar, you cant go very wrong with the RE11's or the Star Specs. A lot of the STS folks swear by the Star Specs and AJ's been doing great things with the RE-11's. Another choice is the Hankook RS3's, as they've been bought up like they're going out of style by a lot of the STS folk and I've not heard bad things from them (the 15's in 225 are on back order last time I checked because everyone is throwing down on them).

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    Getting stickier tires and finally learning to set the right tire pressure should help my psychologically as well. I'll be able to push harder and sooner out of turns since I won't be worried about spinning out.

I added a camera mount to the parcel shelf in the back. Nothing really. The previous owner put in a lot of cosmetic stuff like painting the stock calipers red but I haven't put anything in. I'm still at the point where I'm the slowest part of the car. I'd like to focus on being a better driver first. I'm worried that modding the car will mask a lot of driver error. Plus it'll put me in the same class as Bogdan and Reach. I need to beat James LeCompte first. Yes, James, that's a throw-down. That's for every time you've tried to psych me out!
    You def. have the right idea as far as mods. I wouldn't touch your car for a while until you are real used to the tires and start getting to a point where you can't improve anymore. Running STU is good because there's plenty in there that run consistantly and are competitive. If you start inching closer to them on just tires, then you can start thinking about mods.

Quote Originally Posted by turbosporttsi View Post

Those tires are on the same level as his current SPT's, won't see much improvement, if any with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Although good, they aren't up there with the tires he listed..

Quote Originally Posted by flohtingPoint View Post
    The answer to your question depends on if you run SCCA or not. If you run SCCA, and since you've done nothing to your car, you're in a stock category. Everyone else will be on R-Comps, you'll be odd man out. I'd suggest some new wheels (smallest widest racing steelies you can fit) and some V710's or A6's. The wheels are quite cheap, just about everyone uses them if you can fit a 15 or below.

If SCCA is not on your calendar, you cant go very wrong with the RE11's or the Star Specs. A lot of the STS folks swear by the Star Specs and AJ's been doing great things with the RE-11's. Another choice is the Hankook RS3's, as they've been bought up like they're going out of style by a lot of the STS folk and I've not heard bad things from them (the 15's in 225 are on back order last time I checked because everyone is throwing down on them).
    Stock class requires stock sized wheels. Since he mentioned price, I don't think he wants to go the r-comp route. Especially on a 19" wheel, that'd hurt the wallet lol. The RS3s don't come in 19", neither do the Star Specs I believe.
    Last edited by civicexracer; 05-07-2010 at 09:01 AM.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

Stock class requires stock sized wheels. Since he mentioned price, I don't think he wants to go the r-comp route. Especially on a 19" wheel, that'd hurt the wallet lol. The RS3s don't come in 19", neither do the Star Specs I believe.
    Good points. Yea, R-Comps on a 19 would trash a bank acct, especially with how little runs they're good for before they turn into bricks.

Thread Information