Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 04/17/2010 - Autocross Points Event #2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 04/17/2010 - Autocross Points Event #2

Quote Originally Posted by klyon85 View Post
    Hey guys. I am planning to go to this autocross, but I had some questions. My buddy would like to go but he was injured in iraq and lost both legs. He has hand controls in his 09 328i, and I was wondering if it is still okay for him to come and try. Thanks.
    I've always wondered this.... Even if he is really good with the controls, I can still see some safety issues.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

do we need to bring our own helmets, also what safety issues are you concerned with?

Hey guys. I am planning to go to this autocross, but I had some questions. My buddy would like to go but he was injured in iraq and lost both legs. He has hand controls in his 09 328i, and I was wondering if it is still okay for him to come and try. Thanks.
    I hope whoever makes the decision will let him run. I remember a guy will hand controls racing ( the real wheel-to-wheel thing) a Camaro with NASA a while back.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    I was checking out those $59. closeouts too, but figured my $49. Nittos will do the trick......
    Wasn't it good enough for you that you could beat half the drivers out there with half the tire?
    I would go with something from Dunlop...

do we need to bring our own helmets, also what safety issues are you concerned with?
    Yes, bring a helmet, and clean out your car of any loose items. Check for secure battery, wheel bearings and lug nuts.

I think if the hand control car passes tech it is good to go, but he may want to contact the autocross committee ahead of time.

What is a good place to get helmets? I live in herndon va, anyone know of a place around there to pick one up? Also who can i contact to find out about my buddy? Also I was injured in iraq too and am missing my left leg. I dont need hand controls or anything, but anyone think I will have an issue?

What is a good place to get helmets? I live in herndon va, anyone know of a place around there to pick one up?...
    OG Racing ( http://www.ogracing.com/pages/Home ) is right in your backyard. They'll fit you and get you what you need.

We do have loaner helmets available as well although if you have your own that's a good thing. We only have so many to go around so people often have to share.

~Katie

The loaner helmets are pretty new, but if it is a hot day it might not be to your liking to have to put one on that is still wet with someone else's sweat. Some people wear do-rags to avoid that feeling. OG Racing also rents helmets and I think they will apply the rental fee towards a purchase if you decide to buy.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

What is a good place to get helmets? I live in herndon va, anyone know of a place around there to pick one up? Also who can i contact to find out about my buddy? Also I was injured in iraq too and am missing my left leg. I dont need hand controls or anything, but anyone think I will have an issue?
    You should be fine. Come early to watch and catch a ride with someone else.

The hand controls issue is a great questions. I will bring it up with the full autocross committee and see if there is any reason why he could not attend, and let you know here as soon as we can.

Best regards to you and your friend for your service to our country.
    Last edited by Reach; 03-29-2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I hope they let him run. My hat is off to you and your buddy for your service to this country. This country is indebted to you for your sacrifices. Hope to see you out there.

Hand Controls

Just wondering, are there different versions of the hand controls for his model BMW?

For example, there are http://www.katalavox.com/kempfhandco.htm, http://www.dsusa.org/ChallMagarchive...dArticles.html, and it seems there are others as well.

I think that if you can provide the specific brand, if there are several, we could further research it with respect to its safety history, safety features, ease of operation, and whether it has been used for similar driving events in the past with success. The second link above shows, like Woody was saying, that at least one model has been used seemingly without problem.

While I do not think there is anyone who does not want him to join us -- we are an inclusive group, and he certainly has earned our respect from his U.S. military service -- we still need to be thorough in ensuring that we can achieve our number one goal: safety for all.

Hope to see you both there,

Noel

Kylon85: I am guessing your car is an automatic transmission, in which case i see no issues in you running. In regards to your buddy if we could get some more info on the hand controls, manufacturer/model and some pictures of the setup would be incredibly helpful. I forsee no issues in him running as well we would just like more information on the hand control setup.

His hand controls are made by menox. He has a knob on the steering wheel and a push/ pull for brake and gas. He would really like to try. Also sadly mine is automatic. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone out there. There was a trip that the semper Fi fund paid for so we could go to the performance driving center in south Carolina. They even outfitted some BMW's with hand controls. All of my other buddies did really well driving there. Anyway see you guys bright and early the 17th.

Thread Information