Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 03/20/2010 - Autocross Points Event #1 - Page 8
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 03/20/2010 - Autocross Points Event #1

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaSC View Post
    Yeah, I kind of go that way out of habbit, but have tried just about every possibility to get to Henderson Rd. I work at Andrews AFB and carpool into work that way everyday and on the way home when the highways are screwed. My car bottomed out when I hit that bump, but I have taken that ramp many times before. See you at Waldorf.
    I feel your pain. I work at another DoD complex in Suitland a mile or two from Andrews.....

Quote Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
    I feel your pain. I work at another DoD complex in Suitland a mile or two from Andrews.....
    Got to love that Woodrow Wilson Bridge..........

Kudos to all that volunteered to make today happen! Very good event!

I can see that I'm just a little bit rusty after the winter break... time to tighten the loose nut behind the wheel.

+1 to Sam designing a great course. Clearly it was difficult with all the cone calls but that just makes us strive to bring our driving to a more precise level. Again, the only flaw I saw was the stop box. By far the shortest I've ever seen. I didn't realize it walking the course or even in my ride alongs. But, when driving my car coming out after that last box, I was flat out all the way to the finish and probably doing around 40mph. Just isn't enough room to stop in like 20ft.

I'm glad I could help out. I had a blast jumping in a bunch of different cars lol. I'm with Noel, I'm very willing to help out anyone who wants me to, but the ones with little to no experience should take priority. Not just for technical aspects but saftey, navigation and to help them get a better understanding of how things run at events. Also as Noel said, it's highly rewarding even for me. I helped Maria in the red 325i drop I believe about 5 seconds from her first run to her last. I was excited and wasn't even driving lol.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

The stop box was short because we were trying to sqeeze grid into a very short space(esp for 30 cars). If the box was straight it would have dumped you out into the grid lines. It was not ideal, but Bowie is tricky that way. I was able to stop with spent Sumitomos and no ABS so I thought it was ok. Again, not ideal. I am not sure how many cones I hit, But I had fun driving that course. I will post a vid soon.

Please stay tuned as the adventure continues in Waldorf!!!

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    +1 to Sam designing a great course. Clearly it was difficult with all the cone calls but that just makes us strive to bring our driving to a more precise level. Again, the only flaw I saw was the stop box. By far the shortest I've ever seen. I didn't realize it walking the course or even in my ride alongs. But, when driving my car coming out after that last box, I was flat out all the way to the finish and probably doing around 40mph. Just isn't enough room to stop in like 20ft.

I'm glad I could help out. I had a blast jumping in a bunch of different cars lol. I'm with Noel, I'm very willing to help out anyone who wants me to, but the ones with little to no experience should take priority. Not just for technical aspects but saftey, navigation and to help them get a better understanding of how things run at events. Also as Noel said, it's highly rewarding even for me. I helped Maria in the red 325i drop I believe about 5 seconds from her first run to her last. I was excited and wasn't even driving lol.
    You need better brakes son! If the cobra's and I could stop in that box, there's no reason that you couldn't. I can tell you that I for sure was doing more than 40 MPH in the straight to the finish.

kudos

Quote Originally Posted by Claff View Post
    It was a "challenging" course to say the least! I think the course was laid out in such a way that only the finest drivers could get a clean run in, and then only if all the stars aligned. I think I got five or six cones on my first run and only got a clean run in on my last (I hope!). I was happy with the times but not thrilled with the sloppiness. But I was running a car I don't usually autocross and only discovered yesterday while prepping it that my good wheel/tire combo doesn't work on said car. So I ran the wife's Mazdaspeed Miata on its everyday tires and slid the crate around quite a bit. Might not have been fast but it was fun to do and probably fun to watch as I teetered on the ragged edge of disaster in places. With a little more grip I probably would have been dangerous.

I bet you'll see me and the missus play with you guys again next month when you run in Waldorf. Autocrosses ten minutes from the driveway can't be passed up.
    So you're saying I still drive a "chick" car,"Wife's Mazdaspeed"!, I thought I had bought the manly model!, kudos to the course designer for actually getting 2nice sweepers out of that little lot, it has been been my least favorite venue for years, I wish the island straighteners had been maybe 20% less tight, but in retrospect, that may have meant some bent rims for at least 2 cars in the morning heat.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I can tell you that I for sure was doing more than 40 MPH in the straight to the finish.
    There was a straight before the finish?

Although technically not a "stop box" because no stop was required, I agree that it was just a little too tight. If the safety of the cars on grid was an issue, perhaps it could have been moved further out into the lot.
    Last edited by woodym3; 03-21-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    There was a straight before the finish?
    Oh yes ... that little jog didn't squish off much speed.

Quote Originally Posted by noelleslie View Post
    Was I wrong?? Did you NOT kick some major butt? I believe you represented pretty well today. In fact, you can tone it down for next month about a few seconds.. OK?

This is me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3shuV6dGiU

I coned every run with the range running from 46 to 48 seconds and 1-3 cones. This was the first heat of the day.

With respect to the course, I think it was well designed and Sam deserves praise. It was tight, but I think it served the purposes of keeping people safe, and was designed in an intuitive and understandable manner that really helped drivers focus on driving - and not navigating.

To those who had difficulty on the course, I think some of the common errors were (1) carrying too much speed through the sweeper and going way wide - a little brake followed by a turn and back on the throttle seemed to keep a straighter line (2) braking and turning into the boxes like the one just after the sweeper and about 10 seconds before the end. On that, I drove with many people who attempted to dive into the box very fast, and then brake hard and turn hard. The car understeered and either took out cones or ended up very far off line. The remedy was to brake straighter and then, at the appropriate speed, make the turn. A good line also helped to reduce the amount of turning required.

I'm just commenting - I coned every run, but just wanted to point out what I observed, and commented to people most frequently to the people I drove with.

By the way... I'm supposed to be the novice coordinator, and actually enjoy that position, but I really only approach people who are obviously new, or have that "new" look. I don't really bother others since you all know what you are doing, but if anyone wants to get some insight as to what other people are seemingly doing wrong or right, or want commentary, or anything that I can help with... let me know. I felt happy with helping one of our intermediate drivers shave off a few seconds when he felt that he did not know where he could get faster today, and it felt rewarding.

In the time being, I will be looking at AJ and some others to continue my own progress.

Cheers
    Thanks so much Noel. I am was still well behind you as far as raw time goes (something like 1.5 seconds) and in my mind that is the true time. I believe my best time was a 47.9. I was definitely taking the last part of the course (after the chicane) wrong and didn't realize it until you pointed it out to me. I really appreciate the advice and I will take it with me to the coming events. My wife took some video of me on the last part of the course and it's pretty clear I was doing it wrong ahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    So you're saying I still drive a "chick" car,"Wife's Mazdaspeed"!, I thought I had bought the manly model!, kudos to the course designer for actually getting 2nice sweepers out of that little lot, it has been been my least favorite venue for years, I wish the island straighteners had been maybe 20% less tight, but in retrospect, that may have meant some bent rims for at least 2 cars in the morning heat.
    +1 on the reasoning for the course layout. Sam I thought you did an outstanding job on the course and it was a great first course for my buddy in his Trans Am because it was easy to navigate. I look forward to the next course design.

Quote Originally Posted by m3chaser View Post
    Thanks so much Noel. I am was still well behind you as far as raw time goes (something like 1.5 seconds) and in my mind that is the true time. I believe my best time was a 47.9. I was definitely taking the last part of the course (after the chicane) wrong and didn't realize it until you pointed it out to me. I really appreciate the advice and I will take it with me to the coming events. My wife took some video of me on the last part of the course and it's pretty clear I was doing it wrong ahaha.

+1 on the reasoning for the course layout. Sam I thought you did an outstanding job on the course and it was a great first course for my buddy in his Trans Am because it was easy to navigate. I look forward to the next course design.
    I looked at your times after the event. Your best was a 48.xxx.

Quote Originally Posted by civicexracer View Post
    You should start your own autocross school, AJ. You could book a parking lot for half a day and have half-hour one-on-one sessions, about 10 laps per person. I know there's at least two of us who would sign up!
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    You need better brakes son! If the cobra's and I could stop in that box, there's no reason that you couldn't. I can tell you that I for sure was doing more than 40 MPH in the straight to the finish.
    Well the cobras, and you(?) are on r-compounds which I'm sure helped. I was also on the gas until I crossed the finish lights. After my first run plowing thru the finish I had to lift off before crossing the line so I could stop in time. I can't really do any more with brakes. I have good pads, ss lines, slotted rotors, heavy springs(probably heavier than the cobras and my car dosen't weight much), and one of the best set of street tires available. I had no problems locking the brakes up, at that point it was a matter of grip to save me. Unfortuneatly, I cannot get a bigger brake kit in my class for scca and abs probably would have helped in this case.

As woodym3 said, maybe just pull the last part of the course into the lot a little more and allow for a little longer stop box.

But w/e, all said and done it was fun. Hopefully next time it can be made a bit more
    open.

wagaboutdogs.com karcepts.com ssc-tint.com

Do we have an ETA on the results? That empty "2010 Results" box is such a c-tease!
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Had a great time guys! Honestly I did not know what my Beemer could do until yesterday...first run was 59...last run 54.6 still a lot of room for improvement! Can't wait till April

Here is a couple of pics...Gatta Love the Metallic Blue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3373..jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	1126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3332..jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	1127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3377..jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	1128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3379..jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	1129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3372..jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	1130  

Last edited by Petrovich; 03-21-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Thread Information