Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Battery check

Thread: Battery check

Battery check

Lately after parked for a few days my '01 330Ci started rough and it usually lasted a couple of minutes. Once it has warmed up a little bit it idled fine and if I drive it everyday it always starts up fine. Based on my research it seems that my battery may be bad, something about the battery having only enough power to start the car but not for everything else (i.e. the car injection system etc). It's probably as old as the car (build date 08/00) and time for a replacement. I bought the car used and in the service receipts that I got from the previous owner I don't see any receipt for battery replacement. Is there anyway or any tool to check the condition of my battery? I have a Bentley manual for E46, I haven't checked but hopefully there's nothing special about changing the battery.

On separate occasions I got the P0171 & P0174 (lean error code) but there's no tear in the intake hose and I haven't checked if the MAF is bad. I will at some point take it off to clean it and see if that helps. Once I cleared the error code at Autozone it went away for a while only to come back after a few weeks/months. Does it mean that I have a bad MAF or is it possibly connected to the starting rough after parked for a few days issue I've been having?

Thanks all.

Even if your battery isn't bad, you might as well replace it. Advance Auto & Autozone should both be able to test your battery, though only Autozone lists a replacement (which is actually larger & heavier than needed). That being said, I ended up getting my replacement at Batteries Plus because they carry the same battery as the original. They can test your battery too.

Your P0171 & P0174 are probably due the air adjuster unit (DISA valve) and not the MAF. The gasket in the DISA valve is letting air through. There is a new updated part that has a ridge on the gasket that the older one lacks. You can get a smoke test done if you have any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    Even if your battery isn't bad, you might as well replace it. Advance Auto & Autozone should both be able to test your battery, though only Autozone lists a replacement (which is actually larger & heavier than needed). That being said, I ended up getting my replacement at Batteries Plus because they carry the same battery as the original. They can test your battery too.

Your P0171 & P0174 are probably due the air adjuster unit (DISA valve) and not the MAF. The gasket in the DISA valve is letting air through. There is a new updated part that has a ridge on the gasket that the older one lacks. You can get a smoke test done if you have any doubt.
    AG, did Batteries Plus carry OEM battery and did they install the battery for you or did you have to do it yourself?

As far as the smoke test, where can I get it done? Will local indy shop do this, if so how much do they usually charge for this? Thanks.

I installed the battery myself in their parking lot. It took about 10 minutes, but my trim panel comes out easily. I just checked their website and they now list Rayovac as the brand they carry though I'm not sure who actually makes them now. Their previous brand was "Werker" which was just a relabeled East Penn-Deka. I think East Penn acquired the auto business from Douglas a few years ago (Douglas being the OE manufacturer)

Any good indy should be able to do a smoke test. I would expect them to charge an hour of labor, give or take.

Duralast 49-DL from Autozone seems to be the go-to for the E46 crowd. Check this thread:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=268752

If your battery is the original, these cold temperatures are a true test for it. I was picking up the Michelin Smart jumper cables today at Advance Auto and 3 customers were having batteries changed out.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
    Duralast 49-DL from Autozone seems to be the go-to for the E46 crowd. Check this thread:
    http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=268752

If your battery is the original, these cold temperatures are a true test for it. I was picking up the Michelin Smart jumper cables today at Advance Auto and 3 customers were having batteries changed out.
    Thanks John. Good insight from E46F. I'll check the price on 49DL and 94R but I'll probably go with the 49DL since I am a cheapskate . Hopefully using a spacer between the battery and the bracket won't cause the battery to slide around autocrozz...

Thread Information