Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
anybody have a Fan clutch wrench for E39 530 to loan out?

Thread: anybody have a Fan clutch wrench for E39 530 to loan out?

anybody have a Fan clutch wrench for E39 530 to loan out?

I was wondering if anyone in the Fairfax/Burke/Centerville, VA area has a 32 mm fan clutch wrench that I could borrow for a day? I need to replace my water pump and thermostat.

thanks,
    Kimo

A friend is borrowing my set right now. he might not need it quite yet, so you might be able to borrow it from him if it's for a short period (Car54 here on the forum). I got a regular 32mm wrench that will also work together with a screwdriver. I'm in DC by the observatory circle if you're interested. The set is down in Lorton, VA.

Thanks Anders. I didn't know a regular 32 mm wrench would fit in there. Can you describe to me how to use that in combo with a screw driver? I might just go this route if it's feasible on my car.

-Kimo

If the 32mm nut does not loosen easily (remember - it is a reverse thread, so righty-loosy) I've taken a long screwdriver and diagonally held it across 2 alternate bolt heads on the front of the fan to keep it from turning. A third hand is nice to smack the wrench with a mallet. Be sure to use some anti-seize on the big nut at reinstall, and just spin the fan on - no need for a wrench to tighten.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Quote Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
    Thanks Anders. I didn't know a regular 32 mm wrench would fit in there. Can you describe to me how to use that in combo with a screw driver? I might just go this route if it's feasible on my car.

-Kimo
    My 1 1/4 open end needed a little grinding to become my fan nut wrench, its a pretty narrow opening.

Thanks for the info Bob!

I completed the job using a regular open box craftsman 32 mm wrench. The clutch fan nut came off really easy. I did forget to put anti-seize on the nut. Will this be a problem or should i put some on later?

Thanks.
    Last edited by kimokk; 12-30-2009 at 05:16 AM.

If the nut released easily, hopefully it will also be easy to remove in another 60K miles!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

I wouldn't worry about anti-seize if you forgot.

Too late. I needed the practice so I took the fan off and applied some anti seize grease.

Thread Information