Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Chapter Event 05/22/2010 - Driving School @ Shenandoah - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 05/22/2010 - Driving School @ Shenandoah

The value of my car varies with the amount of fuel in the tank yet I'm not willing to push it off the edge of a cliff.
    I think if anyone is pushing it that hard they aught to have a full cage and be racing.

Quote Originally Posted by flanast View Post
    I will be attending driving school this weekend for the first time. This will be the first time I have been on a track and am curious about Ethan's observation about not taking your car on the track unless you are willing to push it off the edge of a cliff. Can I expect abuse to my car (a 2009) no matter how conservative I drive?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Three things to always remember about an HPDE:

1. Safety
    2. Learn
    3. Have fun

Remember these three things and you will do well and have a very enjoyable weekend.

Chuck
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition and put rainx on. It's going to rain all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    The value of my car varies with the amount of fuel in the tank yet I'm not willing to push it off the edge of a cliff.
    I think if anyone is pushing it that hard they aught to have a full cage and be racing.
    The instructor who said that line (Colin Jevens at Track Daze) was trying to make an impression on the beginners, namely that the activity is inherently dangerous, both to car and driver. For me, that brings home the point that in the event that (god forbid) something goes wrong on the track, either due to a mechanical or driver failure, adding insult to injury, since i lease my '07 335, I would be faced with a bill for the remaining balance on the lease from BMW (in addition to a bill from the race track for damage to the track). My insurance may (or, more likely, may not) cover me. The thought of a $40k + bill, in addition to a wreck at the track, is enough to make me not want to bring that car to the track. True, HPDE insurance is available, but that is a big expense. HPDE is not an inexpensive activity. I chose to buy the Miata since it was, based on my research, the best and most cost effective way to get on the track in a safe and meaningful way. A wreck in my Miata, from a cost point of view, is going to be a lot less expensive than a wreck in my 335. Is it safer in a 335 than a Miata? I don't think so, virtually every modification I have made to my Miata is a safety modification, and with those modifications I am confident that the car is as safe as anything on the track (for purposes of HPDE). I participate in HPDE for fun, improvement as a driver, and mainly to get home safe at the end of the day. My racing is limited to iRacing.com, where I know it's safe!

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
    Make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition and put rainx on. It's going to rain all weekend.
    I don't normally check the weather this far out, but weather.com says 40% chance of showers Saturday and 40% chance of thundershowers Sunday. Where did you get "rain all weekend"?
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Fri May 21 Sat May 22 Sun May 23
    Partly Cloudy Precip 10% Scattered T-Storms 60% Scattered T-Storms 40%

This is the latest from the NWS, rain is predicted to be later in the day both Sat and Sun, gee must be spring in Virginia!
    Not a bad forecast at all.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

05/22/2010 - Driving School @ Shenandoah

If there is a t-storm do they stop driving? I know they run in the rain, but does thunder and lightning change anything?

I wouldn't think so, the flag people are under pavilions. There will undoubtedly be some downpours though and when that happens, I just want the guy breaking behind me to have working wiper blades

Quote Originally Posted by klyon85 View Post
    If there is a t-storm do they stop driving? I know they run in the rain, but does thunder and lightning change anything?
    Its a safety call by the Chief Steward and Chief Instructor.

FWIW - we ran all day Monday in the rain on Summit Main with the NJ chapter.

I'm awaiting some video of Brian hanging a Z4M out to dry. Sounds like you guys had fun in the rain this weekend!
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

It was a fantastic weekend! Variable weather including cloud bursts allowed for lots of changing grip conditions. It is hard to imagine what it would have taken to improve the event. I forgot how much I really like the SC!
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    It was a fantastic weekend! Variable weather including cloud bursts allowed for lots of changing grip conditions. It is hard to imagine what it would have taken to improve the event. I forgot how much I really like the SC!
    Amen Brother.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Some photos from the weekend:

Thread Information