Does anyone have a residential, home garage lift system they have used (or built) and would recommend?

I am debating building a ramp/platform in my garage (seems like the least expensive way and least permanent, other than jack stands). I wonder if I can get comfortable that it would support the car to the degree that when I'm under it I won't be risking life and limb (I'm very conservative by nature, so for a 2,000 lb car I would want a platform that could hold at least 10,000lbs or more).

I saw online some great looking hydraulic home garage lifts, but of course they ranged from 2-5k and up. Too much for me to spend.

Or, should I just go with a good racing jack and 4 of the best, highest jack stands I can find (any recommendations for those)?

All suggestions are much appreciated.

I am thinking for routine work (brakes, suspension work, possible exhaust replacement, the car will eventually (hopefully after next season) need a clutch/rear main oil seal and other replacements. I love the DIY program, but for some things, like a clutch replacement, and the spring swap/sway bar project I recently did, my understanding is that those are too extensive jobs and the club doesn't let us do them at DIY events). Besides, for my Miata, I'm not driving it again until the spring most likely, so I don't mind if she's on a platform and can't be driven for a few months. I tend to do the work over a longer period of time.

I replaced the springs and the front sway bar in my garage using the OEM jack and jack stands, and I don't think my back can take much more of that. I need more height to get under the car!