Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Complete repaint

Thread: Complete repaint

Complete repaint

Has anyone ever priced a quality repaint of the entire car?

They range fron Maaco@$295 and go way up for real good work,i.e. 5/10k$. I've had a couple nice Maaco jobs for $450, but they deteriorate in 3/4 years, probably longer if garage kept.

No, but I'll be interested... My E30 M3 needs a paint job.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Got an estimate for the e39 a few years back for $7000. Bumpers are about $500 each
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

I had a complete body repaint on my 83 euro E24 done by Modern Body Shop in Kensington, MD about 3 years ago. Job cost $3500 and came out far better than I expected. No body work was needed just sanding and prep. All glass and trim was removed. They gave a quote of $3800 for a complete repaint on a friend's Lexus SC400 about a year ago. This car needed minimal body work (just a few small dings).

A couple of things I found out;

most places use industry software to determine cost like repair shops, so estimates came in at about $7k-$9k.

many places don't want to do a complete repaint; not a quick in and out job I suppose.

That said it became a matter of finding a place that was willing to do it, and was capable of doing a good job. I took the car to Master Crafters on the advice of Dave of Autoy who has been dealing with them for 30 plus years. I asked that they do whatever it takes to make it look like factory and not re-paint. They seem to know what they are doing and got the car ripped apart and going down to metal. The car has 10 years worth of dents and rock chips... It's ready for primer now and should be done sometime next week.

I can't wait to see how it looks.

So what is mastercrafters charging you? I had some issues with them matching paint color the last time I used them, but that's pretty irrelevant in a repaint. (And they did take care of it.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

It's hard to tell what it would be for the complete repaint, since they are repairing damage caused by backhoe. The contractors insurance is paying about $4,300 for rear bumper, trunk, cd changer, repaint of rear of car...

My portion is gonna be about $6k for the rest of the car, this includes a new front bumper and window moldings, plus whatever else needs to be replaced.

All parts used in are new OEM parts which adds slightly to the cost. The car looked like $hit so if I didn't do it now...

Thread Information