Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
NASA's New Spec M3 Race Class

Thread: NASA's New Spec M3 Race Class

NASA's New Spec M3 Race Class

Grassroots Motorsports reports NASA has announced a new "Spec" class for the BMW E36 M3. Unlike their SpecE30 (for E30 325s) and Spec3 (for E36 325s), the new class for the ever-popular E36 M3 does not require specific brands of suspension pieces or tires. This is also contrary to the BMWCCA's Spec E36 Club Race class (for E36 325).

Other than the rollcage and other normal safety equipment such as a window net, electric cutoff switch, and fire extinguisher, the rules fit the M3s we commonly see at autocrosses and driver schools. The requirement that catalytic converters be retained means there's no reason a SpecM3 can't remain street legal. Until there are enough entries for their own class, these M3s will fit NASA's GTS-2 class as well as the SCCA's ITE and BMWCCA's IP.

Some rules highlights:
    Stock body
    Maximum 9" wide wheels of any diameter
    Any R-compound tires with maximum width of 245mm (255mm allowed if treadwear rating is above 100)
    Stock brake calipers and stock-type rotors. Pads are free.
    Suspension dampers from normal suppliers, single or double adjustable (Koni, Bilstein, H&R, KW, AST 410s)
    Coil springs, sway bars, and camber plates are free
    Engine modifications are limited to cold air intakes, ECU chips/software, oil pan baffles, water pump, oil cooler, and exhaust aft of the cats.
    US -spec E36 cars only. Minimum weight for '95 3.0-liter cars is 3,100 lbs. Minimum weight for the '96+ 3.2-liter cars is 3,250 lbs.
    Stock transmissions
    Choice of two differential ratios: 3.15:1 or 3.23:1
    OE flywheel, OE or OE-type clutch

More details can be found at specm3.com
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Grassroots Motorsports reports NASA has announced a new "Spec" class for the BMW E36 M3. Unlike their SpecE30 (for E30 325s) and Spec3 (for E36 325s), the new class for the ever-popular E36 M3 does not require specific brands of suspension pieces or tires. This is also contrary to the BMWCCA's Spec E36 Club Race class (for E36 325).

Other than the rollcage and other normal safety equipment such as a window net, electric cutoff switch, and fire extinguisher, the rules fit the M3s we commonly see at autocrosses and driver schools. The requirement that catalytic converters be retained means there's no reason a SpecM3 can't remain street legal. Until there are enough entries for their own class, these M3s will fit NASA's GTS-2 class as well as the SCCA's ITE and BMWCCA's IP.

Some rules highlights:
    Stock body
    Maximum 9" wide wheels of any diameter
    Any R-compound tires with maximum width of 245mm (255mm allowed if treadwear rating is above 100)
    Stock brake calipers and stock-type rotors. Pads are free.
    Suspension dampers from normal suppliers, single or double adjustable (Koni, Bilstein, H&R, KW, AST 410s)
    Coil springs, sway bars, and camber plates are free
    Engine modifications are limited to cold air intakes, ECU chips/software, oil pan baffles, water pump, oil cooler, and exhaust aft of the cats.
    US -spec E36 cars only. Minimum weight for '95 3.0-liter cars is 3,100 lbs. Minimum weight for the '96+ 3.2-liter cars is 3,250 lbs.
    Stock transmissions
    Choice of two differential ratios: 3.15:1 or 3.23:1
    OE flywheel, OE or OE-type clutch

More details can be found at specm3.com
    That really sounds like a fun racing class. Hopefully it catches on!

It was conceived as a way to keep all the ex-SCCA T2 M3s racing. The rules are silly, and I would strongly discourage anyone from building a car for the class. There's absolutely no reason to run the risk when you can go Spec3 for less money and have a much better expectation of competition.

(And yes, I had a long series of arguments with Bob Tunnel back when he started floating the concept.)
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

And how many M3s raced in SCCA T2 around the country? Maybe a dozen? I agree that Spec3 is both cheaper and closer to the concept of a true "spec" class, but I'll bet there are a lot more track-prepared M3s out there than there are 325 owners who want to go racing. With the liberal rules, I just don't see many people building a car for this class and keeping it street legal.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Bob Tunnel probably has a T2 car sitting around. The rules are modeled on T2, which is, IMHO, not a winning formula for a spec class. And I really don't expect this class to take off (and clearly NASA, BMW, and the SCCA don't either, as they have refused to give it its own classification).
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I agree. I'd be more willing to do the Spec Boxster series I saw than this idea, but I think there are already too many "spec" series as it is now.

Thread Information