Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Act Fast: Autocross Helmet Group Buy! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: (2009) Act Fast: Autocross Helmet Group Buy!

One HUGE recommendation here, speaking from experience: Try before you buy.

I bought a CL-5 a few months ago (same M2005 rating) for $55 at my local shop, and while the measurements said I needed a Medium, I ended up witrh a Small based on fit and comfort.

I tried on both of these helmets and they fit differently from each other and from my CL-5. Even if you have to go to a shop where you don't intend to buy, og and try these models on before you commit.

Had I ordered based on measurements and sizing charts, I'd have an ill-fitting helmet. As it is, I got fit advice from a professional (not that all shop employees will be knowledgable) and knew that it would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    If you think you might be doing HPDE events in the future, while not required for National Capital Chapter events, I would recommend getting a closed face helmet with a Snell SA rating.
    Following this logic is a definate for experienced guys who know that they will benefit from the additional expenditure associated with buying an SA helmet.

N00bies (on the other hand) may benefit from an open-face helmet that is inexpensive and allows them to run in local events. The open face is a lot easier to adapt to, and at this price, you can have a nice introductory helmet without laying out a ton of cash on a full-face SA helmet. If (when) you get hooked and need a higher-rated helmet, you know more what you want/need out of a helmet and buy (an SA helmet) accordingly.

As I already have my CL-5, I plan to run it in any event where it is permitted and buy a nicer SA helmet in the future for other events. If I do that, I at least have my open-face helmet if I don't want to run a full-face for autoX events.

Can I order a closed face with a tinted mirrored shield instead of clear?

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
    No. However I think that you can buy just a shield for HJC.

To do this deal, what you see is what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
    Only if the shield is tinted blue, you wear an all white driver's suit, and never say a word.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Only if the shield is tinted blue, you wear an all white driver's suit, and never say a word.
    Some say he thinks Star Wars is documentary and that he has a life sized tatoo of his face, on his face...

What's wrong with having more than one helmet?

My next helmet will probably be an M open face for autocross only. I already have my SA full face, but I'd prefer the open face for autocross. This is a steal of a deal for anyone who needs a helmet for autocross.

Is it possible to try on the helmet before we buy? I would really like to make sure it fits me well since I doubt they will let me trade.....

---------------2009 XS 2nd place, 2010 X3 3rd place, 2011 X3 Champion---------------
    --------------------5-speed, Full DE-K Swap, 205 whp 199 wtq SAE----------------------
    -----------------Enkei RPM2-235/45/17 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 & A/S+-----------------

Quote Originally Posted by 95Maxrider View Post
    Is it possible to try on the helmet before we buy? I would really like to make sure it fits me well since I doubt they will let me trade.....
    Sure ... if you find a friend with a HJC helmet.

I have a large HJC Full face if anyone is interested in trying it on. Though with the cutoff being tomorrow I don't know when or how this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyr777 View Post
    I have a large HJC Full face if anyone is interested in trying it on. Though with the cutoff being tomorrow I don't know when or how this will work.
    I have a Large HJC open face in my car. I work in Ashburn, VA if anyone wants to test fit.

They have until Sat to get it postmarked.

Thread Information