Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
vanos tools

Thread: vanos tools

vanos tools

Anyone have the tools for locking the cams when doing the beisan vanos repair? I can order them, but they are likely to be a one time use thing so I figured I'd check for the ability to rent them from someone who already did the job.

Thanks
    Kevin

Which engine?
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    Anyone have the tools for locking the cams when doing the beisan vanos repair? I can order them, but they are likely to be a one time use thing so I figured I'd check for the ability to rent them from someone who already did the job.

Thanks
    Kevin
    You don't need to lock the cams when doing the beisan vanos repair. You won't even touch the cams because the vanos unit is forward of the cams. I did the job on my E46 at a DIY without any special tools whatsoever unless you're taking about a totally different engine. I did the double vanos job in 7 hours including oil change and valve cover gasket job.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

I ported and polished the head on my my single vanos 325 motor, and didn't need a special tool for reassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    You don't need to lock the cams when doing the beisan vanos repair.
    All depends on the engine. You do need to lock the cams on an S50 M3.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

M50 (E34 525iT)

The beisan instructions say to lock the cams for single vanos, but not for dual vanos.

Kevin, I've got the cam lock tool. You're welcome to borrow it sometime.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Was not an issue for our early production 2000, 328 Ci. The Vanos unit comes off/goes back on without affecting the cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunlap View Post
    Was not an issue for our early production 2000, 328 Ci. The Vanos unit comes off/goes back on without affecting the cams.
    That's a dual VANOS unit. The M52TU and M54 are basically the same engine.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information