Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Olde to the Mechanical Tensioner

Thread: Olde to the Mechanical Tensioner

Cool Olde to the Mechanical Tensioner

Last weekend while coming home on I-95 South I got a battery light, followed my temperature sensor going into the red, followed by a check engine light in my E46 323i. I was approximately 5 miles from home so I decided to limp the poor girl home. I discovered after I arrived home and let the car cool down that the dreaded mechanical tensioner had calapsed into the thermostat belt housing and shreaded the sepentine belt which cause both belts to come off. Secondly the heat from the engine caused the plastic inner pieces inside the expansion tank to melt. I purchased a new expansion tank, upper radiator hose, thermostat belt pulley and hydrolic tensioner. I have successfully installed all of the new parts and the engine is running like a champ. Additionally I had no coolant in my oil which means the engine survived yet another over-heating episode. My only boogle is that I now have a yellow coolant light on my dash that won't go out. I've checked the coolant level and it's full but still the light is permanantly illuminated. I'm thinking that the coolant sensor was damaged when I melted the expansion tank and needs to be replaced. I'll keep you posted. The OEM mechanical belt tensioner in my bimmer lasted 10.5 years and 305,000 miles. I can't even be mad.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

305K miles is no small feet no matter how old the car. Nice to read something possitive about BMW instead of the usual griping.

Is the coolant temp sensor on the block or manifiold?
    TomM
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

good to hear you're back up and running
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
    305K miles is no small feet no matter how old the car. Nice to read something possitive about BMW instead of the usual griping.

Is the coolant temp sensor on the block or manifiold?
    TomM
    The coolant temperature sensor is located in the lower radiator hose, however the coolant level sensor is located at the bottom of the expansion tank which what I suspect still needs to be replaced as I melted all of the internals inside the tank during the melt-down.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Quote Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
    The coolant temperature sensor is located in the lower radiator hose, however the coolant level sensor is located at the bottom of the expansion tank which what I suspect still needs to be replaced as I melted all of the internals inside the tank during the melt-down.
    Oops..missed the part about the coolant LEVEL sensor. Dang, would have thought the sensor would be part of the new expansion tank. Not sure whether that sensor would be 'normally open' or 'normally closed' but either way you find out if that it the bad part. To test the sensor, why not short out the leads to see if that is the problem?
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Thread Information