Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Do it yourself windshield repair

Thread: Do it yourself windshield repair

Red face Do it yourself windshield repair

Has anyone tried to repair a chipped windshield with a product called permatex bullseye windshield repair kit, or similar? The shops I've been calling want anywhere from $40 - $60 to repair my chip.
    09 328i, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Comfort Access
    09 535xi, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Sirius/XM

Don't most insurance companies pay for this in full?
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    Don't most insurance companies pay for this in full?
    Yup.

Erie does, but it wasn't worth claiming the $55 bucks it cost me. My agent says although they don't count it against you, they still look at it as being a claim, so I'll save it for a fender bender or full blown accident.
    09 328i, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Comfort Access
    09 535xi, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Sirius/XM

Quote Originally Posted by Swooz View Post
    Erie does, but it wasn't worth claiming the $55 bucks it cost me. My agent says although they don't count it against you, they still look at it as being a claim, so I'll save it for a fender bender or full blown accident.
    In the past all it took was a phone call to my insurance company. Zero out of pocket.

I'm sure they would rather pay $55 than the cost of a broken windshield.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

State Farm doesn't cover it. I had a chip and the repair guy says just about every insurance company covers it but State Farm. Who do you have? Guess who I have?!

$40 - $60 seems fair and to NOT claim it on insurance is a good thing.
    I am with USAA: "Collision means the upset of your covered auto or non-owned auto or thier impact with another vehicle or object. Loss caused by the following is considered other than collision: 10) Breakage of glass *If breakage of glass is caused by collision, you may elect to have it considered a loss by collsion."
    In other words, USAA will replace a broken windshield but not repair a chip.
    Why give the insurance company ANY reason to look @ your, or any covered driver in your household's, driving record. IMHO, I'd spend the cash out of pocket and not claim it even if I had the coverage.
    TomM
    Last edited by tgmeyer; 11-17-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Ken, the owner of Superior Windshield Repair has helped me on numerous occasions over the years. Paying $50-$70 to repair a chip in a $600 windshield is ridiculously cheap if you consider that:

-They come to you, usually in a big van, with a thirsty V8 and loaded down with windshields

-They use a $700 tool that sucks all the air out so when done you can barely tell anything happened

-I am paying them for knowing how to do something that I don't

I did go cheap a couple of times, used a $10 kit and fixed windshields my self, but the results reflected the money spent. Risking premium hike, calling insurance is pointless...

Thread Information