Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../global.php(29) : eval()'d code on line 103

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Service for 1988 BMW M6 in NOVA

Thread: Service for 1988 BMW M6 in NOVA

Service for 1988 BMW M6 in NOVA

Hi...

Just moved my car - a 1988 M6 (27,000 miles...yes, I'm away from home a lot!!) - to Alexandria VA.

Trying to find a good local service shop. The dealer in S.F. actually turned me away a couple years ago, saying they simply had no mechanics experienced working on an E24. Sent me to an indie shop, can you believe.

I called a couple dealers here in VA - and got the "Sure we do" kinda sales-oriented, knee-jerk answer. The best one: "Yeah, we service a lot of those all the time." I asked, "1988's??" Guy said, "You bet." LOL...there weren't a lot of 1988 M6's to start, and there sure aren't a lot of them left period...much less in NoVa.

Anyway....thanks for your help.

Oh, I'm dealing with the new-tire issues. If anyone out there has an '88 and is coming onto the OEM tire problem, Coker Tires will make 'em. $525 per tire. Gulp!

John

Cool

First and foremeost welcome to the area we have a few members in our chapter with E24's our chapter has a list of sponsor's on our main site page as well as something we refer to as Dan's list which gives a little more illumination into some of the local shops in the area. Depending on where in NoVa you reside I would suggest beginning with Martin's Motorsport in Alexandria, VA as well as specking to J&F Motors in Arlington, VA which are both listed on our homepage under the sponsor's link. One of the more capable shops in Convenience Car Care in Manassas, VA but that's a little past the NoVa area. Let me know if there's anything else you need or that we can assist you with as you transition to this area.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

I would also highly recommend you check out J&F and Convenience, both are fantastic shops, well staffed with knowledgeable techs. J&F is going to be significantly closer to you.

Also of note, there are actually more than a handful E28 M6 owners in the chapter and on the boards, I'm sure you'll find each other (small club) and they should have much more specific advice. Good luck!
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I have to agree with Zach on the sponsors he mentioned. I personally had long conversation with Gary Martin about the E30 which is what my wife and I drive. He is very knowledgeable about your and my period of car. My wife and I change the timing belt and water pump on the Inline 6 cyl recently. Not too many dealerships or modern repair shop have the expertise to work on 20 yr old car. Don't forget about our highly acclaimed club DIY which is the best in VA,DC & MD region.

See you at next DIY

I'm kinda partial to RRT . We've got quite a bit of experience on the original M5, M635, E30 M3, etc...
    James Muskopf
    Co-owner Road Race Technologies, Inc
    Please email questions to info@roadracetech.com

When I lived in Springfield, VA I took my car to Fairfax BMW and was moderately impressed. I bought the car from TATE BMW of Annapolis [b/c I lived out there] and have been treated like a king there. I suppose it helps when you buy mutiple cars from the same dealer. I STILL go to TATE even though it's a drive.
    Tom
    "Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
    --Thoreau--
    2005 330 CiC

Welcome to the area and to the club, its great to have another E24 in the family. I own 2. I assume that you're looking at replacing your OEM TRXs with the same product from Coker. A word of advice, Don't! TRXs make great boat anchors but that's about all. There are any number of much, much better tires available at considerably less money that will permit you to really enjoy the handling of your M6. Yes, you will have to replace you wheels, but you can buy a wheel and tire combo for what the replacement TRXs alone will cost. I suggest that you contact the Radial Tire Company in Silver Spring, MD (301-585-2740) to get some suggestions and quotes on wheel/tire combos. They are big supporters of the enthusiast car community especially BMW and offer a discount to club members.

Thread Information