Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Intake Puts Me In The Tuner Class?

Thread: (2009) Intake Puts Me In The Tuner Class?

(2009) Intake Puts Me In The Tuner Class?

I just put a GruppeM intake on my Z4M Coupe and reading the Classes, it looks that that would put me in the Tuner Class, is that right? It shouldn't be because the intake doesn't give me any real performance increase, just better sound.

If the intake puts me in the tuner class then I'll remove it for the autocross because I know everyone else in the tuner class is running on good tires, catbacks, tuned ECUs, and with me on stock, I wouldn't stand a chance.

Reconsider...

The most important thing is for you to be happy with your car they way you drive it every day. I've heard a GruppeM on an S54 before and it sounds fantastic (their exhaust for the M3 is another story... poop). Just because it bumps you a class in bmw auto-x, so what? If you like it, keep it.

The only 'Tuner' mod I had for many sessions was seat harnesses. That didn't exactly give me the same benefit my new suspension did, but I did enjoy being snug in my seat for auto-x instead of sliding around.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Yes, you would move to Tuner with an intake.

Unless you're running for season championship points (5+ events I think) in Showroom, I personally would not worry about which class I run.

The 2 of the past 3 seasons I have run in what would be called M3, even though I had crappy street tires that put me in showroom based on the treadwear, no diff, no intake, no chip, no throttle body, no camber plates etc... This year I'm in T3 with the same crap tires lol.

It just depends on if you are in contention for a trophy which you may or may not care about.

Yeah, I was also bum'ed about the classes. I just put new tires on and whammo, I'm in the tuner class.

Tires are probably the most important thing there is for Autox. Max performance summer tires deserve to slap you in Tuner. I was bummed about it at first since that's all I have too for this year (correct me if I'm wrong, but last year non-R-compound tires would keep you in stock), but after a single event I could tell how much more grip I had than before.

I agree with you about the tires being the most important part.

My only complaint is that they are a wear item. Why would you replace the stock Conti's with similiar or worse tire? IMHO, replacing wear items should not place you in a class which allows other signficant modifications.

Why should someone be able to stay in stock when they have a performance item that can cut seconds off their time even with worse driving? No money is on the line so it doesn't really matter; the club is set up to provide the most sensible competition and is doing a much better job this year than last year as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with the tires, good sport tires can seriously knock seconds off your time. But an intake or exhaust tips will just make noise and wont do anything to your time unless, maybe, you have the ECU tuned. What I'm getting at is why do noise makers put you in a different class?

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
    I agree with the tires, good sport tires can seriously knock seconds off your time. But an intake or exhaust tips will just make noise and wont do anything to your time unless, maybe, you have the ECU tuned. What I'm getting at is why do noise makers put you in a different class?
    I think that's a good point, good enough to at least discuss over the winter when class changes are being looked at. I understand wanting to keep it simple, but there's a very big jump from S to T in terms of what's allowed, way bigger IMO than the jump from T to M.

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ronh21 View Post
    I think that's a good point, good enough to at least discuss over the winter when class changes are being looked at. I understand wanting to keep it simple, but there's a very big jump from S to T in terms of what's allowed, way bigger IMO than the jump from T to M.
    S to T, I agree there is a big jump... suspension, diff, all seasons to max perf summers... intake, exhaust, chip, etc

T to M, the major jump is race tires, that's huge, even coming from a very sticky street tire (think Direzza Star Specs). Give a good driver race tires and that should beat someone with all the aftermarket goodies above.

Intake gives better throttle response, exhaust will drop weight... it is not just the 'power' gains. Also, we cannot be like oh well if u have an intake or exhaust, you stay in stock but both go to tuner... too many combinations (not to mention those parts respond differently on various cars) to run through and police, it is not practical.

Thread Information