Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Complaint about BMW Assist
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Complaint about BMW Assist

Complaint about BMW Assist

My husband Cary blew out the right front tire on his new 535xi a few weeks ago before dawn in the pouring rain on Rt. 97N.

The car handed beautifully and once safely to the shoulder he called BMW Assist for a tow truck. An hour later no one had showed and Cary told this to the BMW rep when they called for an update on his situation. BMW immediately dispatched another tow truck driver who arrived within 35 minutes. The BMW rep said the original driver stated it was 'too dangerous' to get to Cary, but still expected to be paid. Cary was furious and told BMW not to pay the driver who didn't show because he was on the part of Rt. 97N with an extremely wide shoulder and not near an on/off ramp.

Who can we write to and ask that this company be removed from the BMW Assist list of companies??
    09 328i, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Comfort Access
    09 535xi, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Sirius/XM

did you get the name of towing company that didnt come out? i'd complain to BMW Assist since they contract all the towing out to local companies
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

BWM of North America: put spares in the trunk, so next time you don't have to worry about this.

I once waited over 4 hours for a tow truck from BMW Assist on the Washington Beltway (not exactly a back road). After over 12 calls to BMW Assist and two tow trucks dispatched - I gave up and called my own. Nothing but excuses, apologies and "status checks" from BMW Assist. Cost me $140 out of pocket.

In my experience - BMW Assist sucks and is unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    did you get the name of towing company that didnt come out? i'd complain to BMW Assist since they contract all the towing out to local companies
    I complained to BMW. They didn't give a damn. Just a "I assure you sir that isn't what we strive for". Blah, blah, blah.

I don't understand how one could rely on such service. I am sorry. My car came with run flats and the first thing I bought for the dammed thing was a spare wheel and tire. I guess it's just a matter of not wanting to be at someone elses mercy. I see people waiting for a service vehicle on the side of the road all of the time and the first thing that pops into my mind: the time you spend waiting, you could change all four wheels, a clutch and who knows what else...
    Last edited by Uber-Goober; 09-25-2009 at 08:03 PM.

I admit I'm a little disappointed with the replies I've received thus far. Putting 'spares' in our trunk? My husband carries his golf bag in there which leaves little room for a spare. Besides, it was still dark outside, raining hard, and he has a ruptured disc in his lower back so changing the tire was not exactly an option.

We have the name of the tow truck company so I guess we'll just write to BMW North America and ask that this company be removed from their list.

Quote Originally Posted by Swooz View Post
    I admit I'm a little disappointed with the replies I've received thus far. Putting 'spares' in our trunk? My husband carries his golf bag in there which leaves little room for a spare. Besides, it was still dark outside, raining hard, and he has a ruptured disc in his lower back so changing the tire was not exactly an option.

We have the name of the tow truck company so I guess we'll just write to BMW North America and ask that this company be removed from their list.
    Per my tow truck operator that I got when BMW Assist failed to provide:

BMW retains these tow firms based upon low cost. When tow calls come in - the tow company will almost always head for the higher paying job first. Low paying contract assignments are going to get de-prioritized. So when you are sitting there wondering why BMW Assist can't seem to get a truck to you... its because the tow operator is making better money elsewhere.

Maybe I am a bit naive in my thinking, but where I lived in Europe, there is this silly requirement before one can get a driver's license: the ability to change a wheel...The reasoning behind this is that if you are able to get yourself onto a highway, you should be able to get yourself off of it too. Meaning, spare comes first, golf bags second. If you can't lift a wheel, you should not have a license, much like if a person is blind and can't see the road...and considering American licenses are given out like candy I tend to lean the European route here simply based on common sense.

Also...is this really necessary, to attempt to ruin someone's livelihood because they used poor judgment? Why not call the tow company directly and tell the driver's boss about it instead of killing whatever small bread they may have left in these hard times. Or is that too direct?

Even roman ceasars showed mercy to gladiators, so perhaps you can cut this guy a break, after all you have already pronounced a death sentence over a tint shop...didn't you?

I'm with Uber with this- spare first, golf clubs second. Even with your husband's bad back, having a spare and one more capable adult (cop/highway safety patrol/friend/good samaritan) would have made this into a 15 minute ordeal. You should easily and cheaply be able to get a single wheel/tyre on Ebay. I can't imagine driving without one.

You got a truck after an hour and a half? Sounds pretty normal to me. Sure you may get lucky sometimes and have one show up sooner, but I'd consider it a pleasant surprise if they show up in less than 2 hours.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Wow, I'm not feeling the love here guys. I wonder if you were in my husband's shoes (massive rain storm, dark outside, traffic whizzing by and a back back) would you have risked possible further injury or death to change a flat. Come on. I can tell you neither one of us are lazy or inept and under better circumstances are highly capable of changing a flat. I'm sensing too much testosterone here...

While it is not unusual for me to change eight wheels in a weekend, I can understand someone's reluctance to do so on a dark, rainy roadside with a bad back.

I do think a 5-series trunk should be capable of holding a spare wheel AND a golf bag. And I imagine swing a golf club can't be the best therapy for a ruptured disk.

It seems to me an article about bad (and good) experiences with BMW Assist would be a good topic for the Roundel, or at least der Bayerische.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I had a false low oil reading in my 335 a few months ago, and since there is no way to check the oil status without getting under the car and emptying the pan, I had to call the BMW assist number.

They came in about an hour, as they said they would. Flatbedded the car to Tischer.

So, I have no complaints on the 800 number or the tow service.

Of course, the next morning, Tischer tells me that there is no residue on the computer showing the code, the car runs fine, and that when they checked the oil there was 7.2 or so quarts, exactly what there should be.

Whole problem could have been avoided had there been a dipstick!

This topic brings up two of my favorite demons on the new BMWs, the run flats (no jack and no spare) and the lack of a dipstick.

BMW is truly trying to discourage people from buying their products.

Oh, and one of my OEM runflats has developed a bulge in the sidewall, which from a little internet research I find out is a common problem....

While I don't like the run-flats, if BMW gives you a car with run-flats and only 4 wheels & tires, they are pretty much saying that BMW Assist is your spare. They should keep the providers that will come and help you out, and if those providers miss the mark, they should pay a price up to being let go from BMW Assist.

I can't believe that these companies depend on BMW for all of their business, so if they can't do BMW work it doesn't necessarily put them out of a job or take food out of their baby's mouth.

My 2 cents.

Have Fun,
    Rick
    2009 E82 135i - Space Gray/Gray Leather, Steptronic, Premium, Sport, Cold Weather -BMW Performance: Exhaust, Suspension, Front & Rear Rotors, sideskirts, trunk spoiler, kidney grilles - Dinan: Stage 2 ECU, Cold Air Intake, Oil Cooler, Suspension Bushings, Strut Brace - Quaife: LSD - Sirius, BMW hard-wired NUVI Nav - and lovin' every mile of it!

Mr. Swooz didn't think it was safe...

The tow truck driver didn't think it was safe. He might get $30 of whatever his company collects. How many of you would risk your lives for $30.

Mr. Swooz needs a tank.
    BMW needs to provide spares.

Thread Information