Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Engine Builders in the Baltimore area???

Thread: Engine Builders in the Baltimore area???

Engine Builders in the Baltimore area???

I am looking for any recommendations from any members who have used or know a quality engine builder in the Baltimore area.

I cut open my Fram oil filter this week to find a LARGE quantity of very LARGE metal fragments. I decided the consequences of grenade-ing an engine at Summit Point in October would not be in my best interest (and maybe not for those around me either!) and as such have decided to close the 2009 Track season and pull the track toy off the road and prepare for an engine rebuild. I was going to do this before the 2010 season anyway, but now it is just happening sooner.

I have several options:
    One is pull and engine from my parts car and rebuild it (Good)
    Two is pull the engine from my known good track car and rebuild it (Better)

I am interested in a builder that has experience with BMW of course, but I think a good quality builder could also do fine and be a second choice.

So has anyone used an engine builder in the area that they could recommend?
    Does any one have any contacts they could recommend?

The car is a 1987 325is with 239k on the clock. This is a licensed road car, but a dedicated track toy. I want to build as stock (.30/.25 over?) with the idea of getting another season or two of DE’s before going full track and getting comp license.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
    John Rock

follow the E30 track car build . . .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

Buy a junkyard motor and drop it in. Building an M20 is silly. If you have to have more power, do an M/S5x swap.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I think it depends on the class you plan on racing in. Spec e30 would be a rebuild, If you need a hobby than spend your weekends and evenings with a motor and 5 lug swap and then sorting... I don't think it is silly to rebuild an m20. But I like my eta so...

Sorry, but no recommendations on a shop. Call Maximillian parts and ask those guys. They referred me to a good machine shop for my cyl head.

you can try AtSpeed Motorsport in Hanover. the owner Bob Miller builds race cars, although mostly Porsches, but has done e36 M3s and other BMWs.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by SamB325es View Post
    I think it depends on the class you plan on racing in. Spec e30 would be a rebuild, If you need a hobby than spend your weekends and evenings with a motor and 5 lug swap and then sorting... I don't think it is silly to rebuild an m20. But I like my eta so...

Sorry, but no recommendations on a shop. Call Maximillian parts and ask those guys. They referred me to a good machine shop for my cyl head.
    If he's going SE30, he should build the motor then. It doesn't make sense to build a motor year(s) before racing. By the time he gets around to that, it'll be time to do it over again.

Two years of DE requiring a rebuild??? For an m20??? No way!!!

Let me rephrase: In two years of heavy DE driving, the odds of a mis-shift or other mishap are pretty reasonable. Why the hell would you burn money building an engine to use it at DEs when you can buy another one, drop it in and run with it for a few hundred bucks. Building an engine is not cheap, even if you do most of the work yourself. Not to mention that SE30 could very well impose an hp limit anyway in the next two year time.

Thread Information