Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Anyone have a bmw valve shim kit?

Thread: Anyone have a bmw valve shim kit?

Hybrid View

Anyone have a bmw valve shim kit?

Does anyone here have the BMW Valve Shim Kit (like this) available for me to rent / borrow from them? I'd be happy to leave a deposit for it, but I am about to need to perform a valve adjustment on my E46 M3, and would prefer not to have to buy it if I can avoid it. I will of course replace any used shims with new ones from the dealer.

I'm also wondering if anyone has done this DIY before and would be willing to lend a hand to me, as it will be my first time doing such a task. Experienced hands are always a plus.

Best,
    -Mike
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I don't have one, but I'll be buying one in the not too too distant future (a few months, probably).

Valve adjustment is actually really easy - just tedious. Literally, the hard part when I did it was pulling the valve cover.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

We (Tischer BMW) have 2 in stock. I can sell you the whole set and then refund you for the ones you didn't use once your done witht he job.

Wes
    Last edited by Highflyr777; 09-09-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Wes,

I talked to Evan @ Tischer today and he said there is none in stock but you are expecting some Friday.

I actually ordered a kit online. If there is a possibility of refund (minus used items) I'd like to take advantage of it.
    Mike R.

Update: service performed.

I picked up the valve shim kit and special tool from Tischer on Friday and performed the actual adjustment on Sunday. It was a daunting looking job to me at the start but once you actually get the valve cover off it became clear what I needed to do and how to do it.

I had 5 valve clearances (out of 24) slightly over spec and 1 more right at the top end of spec. I adjusted all of these back to the middle of the specified range with new shims. The engine is running noticeably smoother now, and I didn't think it was that rough at all before.

Special tools needed, other than the shim kit and installation tool, include a micrometer to measure the used shims and a big 32mm wrench to turn the crank by moving the fan nut. Took me 7 hours to do it from hood up to hood down, including a lunch break and lots of double checking.

If any of our club members would like to tackle this DIY themselves, let me know and I can help with the tools.
    Mike R.

WOW, haven't heard of the shim system since my DOHC Fiat days, does the e36 use this too? I've been flogging 1 for 15 years now, thought they were hydraulic?.

No, the E36 fake ///M motor has hydraulic lifters.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thread Information