Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E36 M3 License Plate Bracket?

Thread: E36 M3 License Plate Bracket?

E36 M3 License Plate Bracket?

Any recommendations on how to get a front license plate bracket for an E36 M3 (or creative ways to mount a plate without one)? It was a NC car and didn't need it, but now in VA so it will have to be put on. Bavarian Autosport sells them for $50, but looking for a cheaper alternative.

Thanks!

There is no bracket.
    Remove the center strip and drill two holes.
    IIRC, you should see two marking on the inside where the holes go.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thanks - will give that a try!

How about for E46?

No to hijack but I also have the same problem with my 2001 330Ci. It's kinda hard to explain but for the rear, there are only two holes on the trunk lid and the holes are not in line with the holes on the license plate. The holes on the license pate are on the four edges of the plate whereas the holes on the trunk lid are kinda in the middle of the license plate, if I put the license plate over the holes on the trunk lid.

Right now I am using the license plate holder that came with the car (presumably from the factory since I bought my car used). The license plate holder screws to the car and I screw the license plate to the license plate holder. I am just wondering if I can buy a license plate frame designed specifically for this. I know it shouldn't be this difficult but I've never seen anything like this before and the regular license plate frame that I bought only works for the front not the back.

Quote Originally Posted by ea-sport View Post
    No to hijack but I also have the same problem with my 2001 330Ci. It's kinda hard to explain but for the rear, there are only two holes on the trunk lid and the holes are not in line with the holes on the license plate. The holes on the license pate are on the four edges of the plate whereas the holes on the trunk lid are kinda in the middle of the license plate, if I put the license plate over the holes on the trunk lid.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=41&fg=60

Is part number 4 in the picture the one you're talking about? Two bolts hold the frame to the car and four screws hold the plate to the frame. I think the hole locations in the plates themselves are standardized. If you do in fact have part #4, I'm not sure where the problem lies.

As far as the front is concerned, on my sedan, the plate holder snaps into place where the black trim is located on the bumper. The plate then screws into the holder. For the coupes, I think there is a similar holder, but I don't know how it is actually attached to the bumper (see link below). IIRC, coupes were never delivered with the holder. I believe dealers actually drilled holes in the front bumper in order to directly attach the plates.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=51&fg=15

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...67&hg=41&fg=60

Is part number 4 in the picture the one you're talking about? Two bolts hold the frame to the car and four screws hold the plate to the frame. I think the hole locations in the plates themselves are standardized. If you do in fact have part #4, I'm not sure where the problem lies.

As far as the front is concerned, on my sedan, the plate holder snaps into place where the black trim is located on the bumper. The plate then screws into the holder. For the coupes, I think there is a similar holder, but I don't know how it is actually attached to the bumper (see link below). IIRC, coupes were never delivered with the holder. I believe dealers actually drilled holes in the front bumper in order to directly attach the plates.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=51&fg=15
    Part #4 is exactly what I was talking about. Because part #4 I can't screw after market plate frame to the car directly. The four holes on part #4 are not deep enough to screw after market plate frame to.

Quote Originally Posted by ea-sport View Post
    Part #4 is exactly what I was talking about. Because part #4 I can't screw after market plate frame to the car directly. The four holes on part #4 are not deep enough to screw after market plate frame to.
    Are you talking about trying to attach one of those decorative license plate frames or are you trying to find a plate frame that also functions as the holder, thereby eliminating the need for part #4? Do you have a link to your aftermarket frame? The last time I had a plate frame on, it snapped around the license plate, however, the plate itself was screwed to the holder using two screws.

Thread Information