Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
E46 330 or m3 convertible

Thread: E46 330 or m3 convertible

E46 330 or m3 convertible

Hello all,

I am on the fence about which E46 to buy. I plan on hanging on to the car for a long time, so I was wondering what your opinions are as to which car will be more reliable in the long run, an automatic 330 or an SMG M3. Also, how new do I need to go to get the ipod interface? Is it 2003, or 2004?

On a separate note, anyone looking for an E36 328 convertible? 1998 with 134K miles.

Thanks,

Kevin

In my opinion, unless you are seeking the extra power for track driving, get the 330. The 330 has more than enough power and handling for any sane public road situation. And it would be more economical in many ways - cost, gas, maintainence, tires, taxes.

There are two M3 convertibles in my neighborhood. I think their principal use is going to the Safeway.
    Last edited by woodym3; 10-23-2009 at 09:29 AM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I suggest your options be M3 in manual, or 330i in automatic. I had an SMG, and loathed it for around-town traffic. An automatic is much better suited to the task. Now I've got a manual, and I'm much happier.

As far as the grocery-getting M3 thing... if you can do it, why not? I put 25k miles a year on my cars, and whether I'm driving to Safeway or Vermont I enjoy it each trip. The M3 does cost a heck of a lot more in maintenance, so I would suggest researching that first and making sure it is in-line with your overall 'auto budget'.
    Last edited by Reach; 10-23-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I do not understand the point of any M convertible. They make it handle as good as possible, then they take a sawzall and cut off the roof...and then they sell it to guys who listen to Boy George...most puzzling.

Thanks for the advice. As much as I lust for an M3, the practical thing to do is go for the 330. Perhaps I can get lucky and find a ZHP. Wish I could do a manual, but "wife can't drive it". Gee anyone heard that one before???

Cheers,

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by gmufiji12 View Post
    Wish I could do a manual, but "wife can't drive it". Gee anyone heard that one before???

Cheers,

Kev
    I say too bad for her. She'll either learn to drive it or deal with it. Get the car with the "fun" transmission.

If your wife has her own car, why can't you get what you really want? In a car she will hardly drive if ever...

If you don't get exactly what you want, you will always lust after it, so get out there and get that M3 with Comp package...

PS: I have spent less on my car than my wife has on hers, which is an e46 330, at least in terms of maintenance...

Thread Information