Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
"clunker" program makes me sad...

Thread: "clunker" program makes me sad...

"clunker" program makes me sad...

Does anybody else find this story disturbing:
    http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...11937&catid=14

I know that this is being done as a "spark" to the economy, as a step toward a "greener" country, as a step toward reducing our oil dependence, progress, yada-yada.

However, there is something about taking a good, running vehicle, pouring a crushed glass solution into the engine block, and allowing it to run until it dies that just makes me sad. I'm sure most within the general populous would consider the cherished E30's, the beautiful "shark" six series of the mid 80's, or a nice (albeit slightly rusty) 2002 to be a clunker. Similarly, most, if not all, of us would be happy to give that car a home, fix it up, and make it run for another 20+ years.
    Now, because of the "clunker" program, it has been traded in for a Hayundai and reduced to a pile of scrap... it makes me sad
    2000 323i
    1997 M3

it was a beautiful day... the sun beat down
    I had the radio on, I was drivin'...

i think its quite sad, and could have a sever impact on the market for older vehicles, seems like this could get rid of those gems that people have sitting around in good condition but dont drive anymore, but cant get anything for them from a dealer so they sell them locally. now they will just toss them to the dealer for this program.

hell my buddy is thinking about trading his 74 camaro with a damn near brand new 355 in it for a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T. makes me a sad panda

FYI, only cars from MY1984 and newer qualify for the clunker program because the EPA mileage figures that the law references don't go further back than that. Of course, there is nothing stopping dealers from giving you the $4500 anyway (e.g. Chrysler & their latest promo).

Obviously, I hate to see enthusiast and rare cars (BMW or otherwise) getting crushed, but that isn't the thing that irks me about the program.

It gives ZERO reward to "responsible" consumers who have never owned a gas guzzling car. My tax dollars go to bail out failing businesses and for irresponsible people to buy a new car for next-to-nothing.

...and yes, the 1974 Camaro is not eligible as far as I remember when I read the rules last week.

I'm also not sure if I'd participate in the program if I were a car dealer. For each/any violation by a dealer not following the letter of the law, it's a $15k fine on the dealer if there's a mistake somewhere in the process.

Don't worry, guys. The program is dead. They ran out of money sooner than they thought.

Yep, it looks like cash for clunkers is done... awaiting the official announcement.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/30/r...-dead-tonight/

Sadly, I'm sure this won't be the end of it though.

hurm, i havent read into the details, owning a 05 and all, but he was talking about it last week.

well good he wont be getting rid of the camaro anytime soon then.

Post is reporting that congress is going to authorize an additional $2bn for the program, to be loaned from an existing clean enery bill. Those funds would be replenished for the energy initiative by another resolution after they come back from August break.

http://feeds.washingtonpost.com/clic...0ebe58fb1fae6b
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

I have an old Explorer worth maybe 2500 I have toyed with the idea of doing this with, except I don't want to spend the money for a new car when the Explorer is running just fine.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

If the government wants to stimulate the economy, how about giving all of us about $4500 a piece to attend drivers' schools and upgrade our safety gear on our track cars (my wish list includes bigger brakes, stickier track tires, roll bar, and race seats and harnesses). All in the interest of making me a safer driver of course!
    Tom Buchanan
    BMW CCA Instructor
    ============================================
    1999 M3 (Track Rat)
    2002 540i 6-speed (My Car)
    1999 Acura 3.2 TL (Wife's Car)
    2004 GMC Yukon XL Denali (Family Mobile and Tow Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB_540i View Post
    If the government wants to stimulate the economy, how about giving all of us about $4500 a piece to attend drivers' schools and upgrade our safety gear on our track cars (my wish list includes bigger brakes, stickier track tires, roll bar, and race seats and harnesses). All in the interest of making me a safer driver of course!
    AAAhhhmmm!!! I'm running for local office...

Support me darnit! Maybe together we can get this Change enacted! Yes We Can!

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I have an old Explorer worth maybe 2500 I have toyed with the idea of doing this with, except I don't want to spend the money for a new car when the Explorer is running just fine.
    And this is the reason I'm fixing our Jeep.

What traction control?

Thread Information