Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
DIY 15 question

Thread: DIY 15 question

DIY 15 question

Hi all,

I am a new member and this will be my first DIY. I have a couple questions about club tools.

I have a 06 330i and I want to flush the brakes and change the differential fluid. Does the club have a powerflusher for the brakes?

The diff on my car only has a fill plug, no drain plug, does the club have a fluid extraction type tool? If not any suggestions on how to get the fluid out so I can be prepared?

Cool

Are you talking about the event on 15 Aug 2009 at Passport BMW?
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Yes, I am taking about the one on the 15th.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by beef1020 View Post
    Hi all,

I am a new member and this will be my first DIY. I have a couple questions about club tools.

I have a 06 330i and I want to flush the brakes and change the differential fluid. Does the club have a powerflusher for the brakes?

The diff on my car only has a fill plug, no drain plug, does the club have a fluid extraction type tool? If not any suggestions on how to get the fluid out so I can be prepared?
    The answer to your first question is no, I'm pretty sure the club doesn't have a power flusher for brakes. A few folks have the old fashishioned hand operated flush pumps.
    The answer to your second question is also no, however one of the dealership mechanic's has a hobby shop tool to refill the differential fluid.
    My only question for you is are you sure your differential only has one plug. Everyone I've encountered have an upper and a lower plug. One to drain and one to fill. Any-who, I hope this helps. BTW, I'm the coordinator for the 15 Aug DIY event at Passport BMW.
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

I have not actually climbed under there to check, but I am pretty sure for the E90 with 'lifetime' fluids there is no drain plug... We will see on the 15th thought

Does the club have a hand pump brake fluid that I can use? If not would anyone who is going to be at the Aug 15th DIY let me borrow theirs?

I fail to understand our beloved Club Brethrens' compulsion for changing fluids that BMW deems to be lifetime. There are too many things that have to be done, to make work doing the ones that don't have to be done.

My take on it....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dunlap View Post
    I fail to understand our beloved Club Brethrens' compulsion for changing fluids that BMW deems to be lifetime. There are too many things that have to be done, to make work doing the ones that don't have to be done.

My take on it....
    BMW considers the average consumer when saying something is lifetime ... grocery shopping and commuting. However, for individuals who drive it like they stole it (myself included), I'd rather be safe and get some decent, fresh fluid in there.

RAF Digby, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    BMW considers the average consumer when saying something is lifetime ... grocery shopping and commuting. However, for individuals who drive it like they stole it (myself included), I'd rather be safe and get some decent, fresh fluid in there.
    I agree. I'm certainly not the most docile of drivers either, and I wouldn't trust that "lifetime" fluid statement.

Exclamation

My take on it....

BMW changed their strict maintenance policy as soon as BMW started paying for regular maintenance. Almost any modern vehicle can go 100,000 miles on the same differential and manual transmission fluid. It is unlikely however, that they would last very much beyond that. Due to the fact that even with an extended warranty BMW would not be responsible if your transmission or differential failed at say, 110,000 miles; lifetime to BMW AG is 100,000 miles. In actuality, most owners have a much shorter warranty.
    Scientifically speaking, there is no such thing as lifetime fill. Coolant, gear oil, transmission fluid, even gasoline breaks down with time. Many of the people on this forum most notably our President Zach Pullins, who put 300,000 miles on his E46 in under 10 years, didn't get there by adhering to BMWs "new" schedule. Any old BMW mechanic (or owner) will tell you that. The laws of physics certainly did not change the day BMW started paying for maintenance. Neither did the fluids that are used in our cars. The only thing that changed is their marketing strategy.

-Not a sermon, just a thought.
    Last edited by ///MARINE; 08-05-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

My take on it....
    Thanks for the counterpoint on this one. I believe the BMW differential on the E90 is substantially smaller then they use to be. This, combined with the lack of a drain plug leave me to believe that the differential oil may not be worth changing. BMW is basically saying the lifetime of the differential, with or without changes, may not be much beyond 100K miles.

But it's my car and changing it can't hurt right?

Quote Originally Posted by beef1020 View Post
    ...But it's my car and changing it can't hurt right?
    As long as you use an appropriate fluid!
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

Well, c__p...I just timed out and lost my entire message. That really ticks me off. Starting over w/the short version. As to the lifetime and change it often fluids situation, my observation is: Royal Purple and ZMax love you guys and gals. On the other hand, we all know there is something fishy about 15,000 oil changes. I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee 5 speed that has lived in Bolivia at 2 miles+ high, Peru at sea level, and CA where it did the Rubicon Trail. During its lifetime it has had ONE diff and transfer + transmission fluid change and ZERO clutch fluid changes. It's now in VA and doing fine (albeit, relatively lo miles at 95,000). Engine oil/filter has been changed many, many times, BTW.

As for our brethren located in the Solomon's Islands...which as I recall we passed thru on our last Club tour: never forget the difference between "mechanics" (we all know and love them), and "technicians" (computer nerds to which we are all held hostage).

Mechanics do what makes mechanical and logical sense. Technicians do what the lawyer-influenced software programs tell them to do.

Live long and prosper....

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post
    Any old BMW mechanic (or owner) will tell you that. The laws of physics certainly did not change the day BMW started paying for maintenance. Neither did the fluids that are used in our cars.

As for our brethren located in the Solomon's Islands...which as I recall we passed thru on our last Club tour: never forget the difference between "mechanics" (we all know and love them), and "technicians" (computer nerds to which we are all held hostage).

Mechanics do what makes mechanical and logical sense. Technicians do what the lawyer-influenced software programs tell them to do.

Mr. Dunlap and my fellow members,

Perhaps you took my take on “lifetime fill” as a personal attack on your opinion. I hope not. I purposely tried to word my reply in a way that would not come off as such. I was only trying to inform the forum faithful that there are ulterior motives in BMW’s lifetime fill policy. I assure you that I am not the type to get into nasty exchanges on forums or via email. We are a local club; this means that it is very likely that you and I will meet at a social, DIY, tour, or at another club event. I look forward to continuing our conversation in person then.

Now, back to the topic at hand…
    This subject always sparks healthy debates that will likely last forever. I never mentioned technicians, although I am aware of thier existence. As far as the “old mechanics” go; I was referring to guys like Mike Miller (Roundel, Bimmer), Gary Martin (Martin Motorsports), Dan Erwin (Bimmer, Roundel) and our own Lothar Shuettler (BMW Exluservice). I was not talking about a kid at a dealership that was born after my M6 (build date 9/87) was already burning up the Autobahn.
    The fact that you have attained 95,000 miles in a Jeep product while doing little or no maintenance is not an argument against proper maintenance on BMWs. Whether the BMW is a 325i or an M6, it is designed to be driven on the Autobahn and I-95 at ridiculous speeds for hours on end. Throw in an occasional track day, autocross or driving school and the “lifetime” of these components gets shorter without proper maintenance.
    I am not advocating changing these fluids every five minutes. I change them all when I purchase a car and again at reasonable intervals. We all have the choice of doing maintenance or doing repairs. More often than not, repairs end up being expensive and likely could have been avoided with a little comparatively inexpensive maintenance. As I mentioned earlier, I really was trying to help, not get into a battle of wills.

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

Orlando
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Just wanted to post a follow up, the e90 does not have a drain plug for the dif

Thread Information