Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) ChapterFest!!! NCC Autocross Event #7 - September 26 @ Bowie Baysox Stadium - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: (2009) ChapterFest!!! NCC Autocross Event #7 - September 26 @ Bowie Baysox Stadium

Nothing a roll of duct tape won't fix.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by noelleslie View Post
    Ohh.. I didn't mention that the hood was damaged in the middle. I will likely get the dumbass award for the year... After 4.5 hours in evening school, I left. The car seemed beyond reasonable to drive. The front bumper and hood were dented/scratched, but nothing even close to non-drivable. Soo.. I drove it. About thirty minutes later, I am on 695 or somewhere over there going towards I-70West from Baltimore, there is a loud BANG!!! I don't know what the hell happened, but I could no longer see in front of me, with the exception of the lowest 2 inches of the windshield. The freaking hood latch retainer mechanism had been damaged, and the hood flew ALL THE WAY back - not stopped until it hit the windshield, and mostly the top of the windshield.

If you can imagine a lightweight strip of balsa wood in a 60 mph wind, and what type of quick movement it would have... well that's how quickly the hood flew up... I didn't even see it move.

I used my razor sharp autocross skills [not really] to bring the car to a gradual stop at a safe location, and started trying to figure out who was responsible for THIS damage (practical law school application).

It turns out that there are two separate claims, even though one was precipitated by the other. I am responsible for the aft hood, and the lady for all the other junk. We just studied this type of stuff too a few weeks ago, in Torts class.. directly related to another's actions, as an immediate consequence of, etc... I guess I lost on that deal, but my $500 deductible will get half the car repainted.

Quote Originally Posted by ronh21 View Post
    He's welcome to try I think the whole story is just a sorry excuse. I'm gonna need to see pics, or it didn't happen. Noel, you couldn't wait to take "the dented hood/bumper below the roundel emblem" to the shop until after the 'fest?

Of course, I may not be running anyway. I can't seem to get confirmation that I signed up. If I didn't, I can still walk up, right?
    Okay ... I checked and I have your registration

However, for all those T2 competitors that would like to see Ron not in attendance, I can accept bribes to remove registrations ...

Ohh.. I didn't mention that the hood was damaged in the middle. I will likely get the dumbass award for the year... After 4.5 hours in evening school, I left. The car seemed beyond reasonable to drive. The front bumper and hood were dented/scratched, but nothing even close to non-drivable. Soo.. I drove it. About thirty minutes later, I am on 695 or somewhere over there going towards I-70West from Baltimore, there is a loud BANG!!! I don't know what the hell happened, but I could no longer see in front of me, with the exception of the lowest 2 inches of the windshield. The freaking hood latch retainer mechanism had been damaged, and the hood flew ALL THE WAY back - not stopped until it hit the windshield, and mostly the top of the windshield.

I don't mean to be rude, but that's sort of funny. Just like every time it happens at the track. Hope it's only the hood damaged and not the windshield/roofline too much. BTW, the only damage actually visible in that pic is where the hood hit the windshield, not like the bumper's falling off or anything. Just sayin'...

EDIT: Glad nobody was hurt. That could have been a disaster at highway speeds.

Damn...sorry Noel! At least you get to get all the bugs and chips fixed. Are you going to get a clear bra? Hood pins? (sorry)

Ron...it WAS at highway speeds...695 is an interstate!
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Ron,

You should probably come in... I would say, at least third since me and Woody will be out.

Good Luck

Woody.. Next track day, lets leave the staging area in reverse. We'll hit about 50 in reverse, staying to the right of the track. Then I'll pull a Tiff Needel e-brake 180 spin and enter turn one right on line

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Ron...it WAS at highway speeds...695 is an interstate!
    If you squint a little and re-read what I wrote, you'll see that what I meant was "That could have been a disaster at highway speeds that you were traveling."

I can only imagine what it would be like to instantly have the hood in my face at 65-ish, at night. I probably would panic brake and be at the mercy of whoever was behind me. Plus, I know that makes a very loud, scary noise when it happens, like an actual collision. That would have to be unbelievably startling.

If you can imagine a lightweight strip of balsa wood in a 60 mph wind, and what type of quick movement it would have... well that's how quickly the hood flew up... I didn't even see it move.

I used my razor sharp autocross skills [not really] to bring the car to a gradual stop at a safe location, and started trying to figure out who was responsible for THIS damage (practical law school application).

It turns out that there are two separate claims, even though one was precipitated by the other. I am responsible for the aft hood, and the lady for all the other junk. We just studied this type of stuff too a few weeks ago, in Torts class.. directly related to another's actions, as an immediate consequence of, etc... I guess I lost on that deal, but my $500 deductible will get half the car repainted.

Be glad you weren't going to a party in a VW 1303S Beetle with two cases of beer in the trunk when that happened, and maybe slammed on the brakes, possibly spilling 48 bottles of beer on the highway.. Could happen, I think..

Noel, you should definitely bring your car Saturday. DentMasters will be there and they'll fix you right up for 80 bucks. Just be sure to have your car at a distance while talking to them so it looks like a nickle-sized scratch.

Ron,
    Since my father can't make it this Saturday, to keep his spirit alive, I'll be running in his place in T2. ( M Coupe)

Noel,
    Sorry about your beautiful car. I hope it can get fixed like new, or maybe it's time to get a Z4 M Coupe?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    Be glad you weren't going to a party in a VW 1303S Beetle with two cases of beer in the trunk when that happened, and maybe slammed on the brakes, possibly spilling 48 bottles of beer on the highway.. Could happen, I think..

Crazy euros...

Noel, Is that custom flame surfacing on your hood?

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer3 View Post
    Ron,
    Since my father can't make it this Saturday, to keep a point away from you, I'll be running in his place in T2. ( M Coupe)
    fixed See you Saturday.

Thanks, Brian.

I think it was Ron's wife that backed into me.

And NO... this is NOT the preview for the 2011 model's flame surfacing design. Please - that's so 2003. I was working on an early version of the GINA project.

By the way, I'm definitely out for tomorrow, if someone else wants to take my spot.

Hope the weather is good, and that you all have fun!!

What would life be if we didn't have some "would you believe...," or "there I was...," stories to tell around the campfire. Now you have a great one, Noel. Bit of a bummer at the time(x2=s)...but still: heck of a tale. And I've always been led to believe that black is the easiest color to match. You'll be good to go in no time!

I'll be there but without a car Can't get the sucker to idle. See you tomorrow!

Thread Information