Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) NCC Autocross Event #6 - August 29 @ Sykesville, MD - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: (2009) NCC Autocross Event #6 - August 29 @ Sykesville, MD

Jonathan,

What time should we get there for the morning session? Thanks.

If you would like to help set-up tomorrow morning, please arrive at 7:45 am.

Thanks!

Here's the final registration list.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Video Recap

If anyone found a tire sprayer, I left mine there.

Anyway.. the footage:

My Run
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiqzXY1AzoE

James borrowing car for a few runs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cng-I7HSTTc

Thanks for posting Noel. Was that you final run?

I couldn't believe more people in the AM heats didn't try going to the right of the first cone in the first optional slalom. I had to leave before the afternoon heats started, but I'll be interested in knowing if anyone else tried what I think was the fastest way. When I helped Sam Bell set up the course I tried to make that slalom as questionable as possible as to whether it was better to give up speed at the beginning or the end.
    Woody
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    I couldn't believe more people in the AM heats didn't try going to the right of the first cone in the first optional slalom. I had to leave before the afternoon heats started, but I'll be interested in knowing if anyone else tried what I think was the fastest way. When I helped Sam Bell set up the course I tried to make that slalom as questionable as possible as to whether it was better to give up speed at the beginning or the end.
    Woody
    I did that on all four runs and definitely thought it was the much faster way through it for my car. There were very few in the afternoon who tried it that way too.

Sam plopped his camera on my car for one run, so I don't know if he'll be able to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Thanks for posting Noel. Was that you final run?

Woody
    I figured I had so little speed left over after the box that it didn't make too much difference which way I went. I felt a little off balance through that slalom looking back, so maybe I should have tried the right.

Anyway, best course I have ever driven. Nice job sam, woody, and anyone else responsible

I'd always rather give up speed going into a slow section than give it up at the beggining of a fast section. I love having choices though, trickly little course. Great weather. Thanks all.
    FredK

Results are posted.

http://www.nccbmwcca.org/index.php?o...=55&Itemid=168

And again, don't expect this awesome service every time!

Noel,

I put your tire sprayer in the trailer. It will be waiting for you.

Thumbs down

For the previous event as Sykesville, there were 93 participants (372 runs) and 37 runs that went off-course or 9.9%. For today's event, there were 79 participants (316 runs) and 76 runs that went off-course or 24%. I used a simple word count from the results pages to get these numbers, so if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.

I can understand that those of you who have been doing this for years might need the challenge, but for those of us who are just starting out, course layouts like this can be extremely frustrating.

I saw a lot of hands raised in the PM group when Bogdan asked who the first-timers were and I can't help but wonder how may of them will want to do this again.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

Sorry if you found todays course too tight and slow. Bowie will probably be more beginner friendly, So I hope that nobody was so frustrated that they will never try it again.
    I don't mind taking first timers for a ride.

I will post my vids later...
    A good one of Chris sliding thru the back corner.

My first run was to the right of the first cone on the optional slalom. That was 0.1 seconds and +1 cone slower than my last run, so I don't know which way was faster. I really just hated the slalom - too tight, albeit do able.

I think the course was good for getting newer drivers to look well ahead, and break the "straight ahead stare," but agree that it was certainly not a good course for beginners since the navigation demand was fairly high.

I rode along with many people, and the design seemed frequently counter-productive: they were making great increases in the driving aspects, only to be frustrated with a DNF or a near off course leading to big time penalty.

There were areas where instantaneous navigation mistakes could not be pointed out in time.

To people who had trouble with the course: I just offer to you the fact that learning happens in weird plateaus and phases. You may have been frustrated, but learning DID occur. It is usually after my worst days that I have events where I am very impressed with myself... then more frustration to seemingly no end... then all the work pays off and the realization comes that learning was occurring the whole time.

I wonder if it would have been better or worse in the wet...

Quote Originally Posted by noelleslie View Post
    To people who had trouble with the course: I just offer to you the fact that learning happens in weird plateaus and phases. You may have been frustrated, but learning DID occur. It is usually after my worst days that I have events where I am very impressed with myself... then more frustration to seemingly no end... then all the work pays off and the realization comes that learning was occurring the whole time.
    Thanks, Noel, for putting this in the right perspective. Maybe I'm just too upset at myself right now to see things clearly. I think you're exactly right about the plateaus. I had set two goals for myself for this season: stay on course and not hit cones. I thought I had those two things down until today and I was starting to work on looking ahead and figuring out the right line. It's clear that I still need to work on reading the cones and memorizing the layout.

At least I have the Level 2 SCCA Autocross school tomorrow to look forward to.
    Mike, 2005 E46 M3 ZCP SMG, 2005 E46 325xiT

It pains me to do this, but...

1 142 Przyborski, Paul 1996 BMW 318ti Black 49.152+1 54.095 54.629+OFF 54.410 51.152

That must be an error. There's no way I was that fast on my first run. My best time should be the 54.095, putting me in second for the class. Nice times out there Chris, and you'll get me next time Sam.
    Paul P.
    <del>1996 318ti M-tech</del> - Messing around in FSP until the CP Camaro is done.

Help Stop Lung Cancer
    Maryland's Premier Autocross Team

I thought the course was a lot of fun. The best parts were the offset gates. It was a rush keeping it floored through both of them. The worst part was getting a flat on my way home... only time I've been happy with the run flats.

Thread Information