Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) NCC Autocross Event #6 - August 29 @ Sykesville, MD - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: (2009) NCC Autocross Event #6 - August 29 @ Sykesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by satyrdog View Post
    I'm not sure if this the best place to post this, so let me know if I should move this elsewhere. I did search these questions a bit, so if I'm duplicating just point me to the right post.

Thanks in advance!

Question one: Why are there so few 335is at these autocross events?
    Question two: Event #5 was my first autocross, what gear do most people take their run in? Mostly second? Mostly first? Do people downshift into first? (Is this a big no no? What if you throttle match?)
    Should I completely disable traction control?

Question three: Does the time of day for the runs make any difference? Why do people generally like the first AM session the most? Just because it leaves the rest of the day open, or temperature, something else?

Question four: How does one figure out how close to a cone you can go without hitting it? Just practice? Are there any exercises I could do at home to improve my spatial perception?
    1.) Consider the average 335 driver - it's a grocery getter (very fast no less). The average consumer has no intention of participating in motorsports. This is just my thought.

2.) Launch in first, shift to second, stay in second.

3.) Time of day has nothing to do with it. It's just preference.

4.) If you're not hitting cones, you'll never find where you need to be. I don't suggest trying to hit every cone, however, don't be afraid to hit them.

Question four: How does one figure out how close to a cone you can go without hitting it? Just practice? Are there any exercises I could do at home to improve my spatial perception?
    A good rule of thumb is to find the most light-pole-laden parking lot available and have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    We need the following volunteers to make Saturday run smoothly:

4 Waiver Tent Workers (2 for the AM / 2 for the PM)
    2 Grid Workers (Both PM)

I will post Friday morning with arrival times for morning setup. Thanks!
    I am running in the 4th session and am available to work grid in the 3rd session.
    John Rock

follow the E30 track car build . . .
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2681791

Question two: Event #5 was my first autocross, what gear do most people take their run in? Mostly second? Mostly first? Do people downshift into first? (Is this a big no no? What if you throttle match?)
    Should I completely disable traction control?

Question three: Does the time of day for the runs make any difference? Why do people generally like the first AM session the most? Just because it leaves the rest of the day open, or temperature, something else?

Question five: What's a good beginner time in a 335i? I had 49. something last time.
    I think Jonathan answered pretty well, but I'll add a few things since I have an e92 and know many others who have the same car. IMO many of them are first time BMW owners and are too afraid to autox/track since its their only car. The reason most tell me is they rather wait till AFTER the warranty is over. Obviously, this is ridiculous since I'd rather have something fail while under warranty so I don't have to pay for it. Its also a great way to get to understand how to handle your car, especially one with a ton of HP and torque.

As far as traction control, I turn mine OFF since you won't be able to accelerate out of a turn if you lose some traction. I never get out of 2nd gear either since the car has enough hp and torque to get you around the course without further downshifting/upshifting.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Question five: What's a good beginner time in a 335i? I had 49. something last time.
    1. In addition to Jonathan's answer, on paper the 335i is not a good autocross car due to its weight and lack of a limited slip differential. Good driving can overcome a lot though.

3. Traditionally the third (of four) heats fills up first with most organizations. Probably the foremost reason is by then the pavement on the normal line has been swept clean of any loose gravel. I've always considered the greater chance of a thunderstorm late in the afternoon, but that has worked against me many times, particularily this season.

4. Find a suitable empty parking lot. If you don't have access to pylons, get some large cups and add a little sand to keep them from blowing away. PRACTICE. You don't have to go so fast you attract unwanted attention. It's good training for newly licensed drivers too.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

1. As people have mentioned, it's a new car which eliminates a huge population of people who just won't do anything other than hard park or daily drive their car. It is extremely heavy (like all modern BMWs) and not competitive without a healthy chunk of change (like all modern BMWs) . It's perfectly fine to learn and to play with it either way.

2. For a 335, shift into second and drive.

3. Early afternoon or late morning session is what I prefer, but it depends on my schedule. I like to watch the morning session and some rubber is usually laid down by afternoon. Many will tell you it makes no difference.

4. Do as many autocross events and schools as possible.

5. No way to gauge. Pick a driver who finished ahead of you (any car) and compare their times with yours over the next few events. If you close the gap over the next few events, you know you're progressing.

335i & something about Newbies

Allow me to opine, expert as I am since I had an 07 335i for a year, autocrossed it several times and did a couple of driver schools. Nicest car I've ever owned. That said, for flinging around on the parking lot or track...too big; too heavy. I preferred the family 2000 E46 and to back that preference up, bought an 05 ZCP M3. I'm happy.

But as for the 335i: not to worry if it is your only car. BMWs are amazingly capable and you should feel free to drive and enjoy it. You WILL enjoy autocrossing this car. This includes not just autocross, but other events as well. Don't worry about who is getting FTD. Just do the best that YOU can do. As for cones: raise your seat. Honestly, I mean it. Raising your seat so you are higher and can see the car corners...higher than you would feel comfy on the road...will help you to see the corners of your car, and thereafter cut the angles on the cones and hit them less, if at all.

Keep the questions coming. May I observe that at many of our autocrosses there are obviously many newbies but we don't sufficiently encourage to ask questions. Jonathan or Woody, can we get some vests or Tshirts or hats that identify a cadre of "wise persons" amenable to being quizzed? Every autocross, I note the number of "1st time" hands being raised. Ideally we would record their names, email addresses, or whatever...and reach out to them personally. Idea being to increase the likelihood of repeat appearances. Just a thought....

I'm willing to help.

Another way to see how close you really get to the cones/apex/curb/squirrel etc. is to mount a camera on the side of the car viewing the front tire. I got to borrow George's suction mount one time and the video was quite interesting to watch

Thanks for all the replies!
    Looking forward to tomorrow. Am bringing two of my friends for their first times too!

Are there still spots left? If so, should I do this with a bent rear lower control arm?

2009 ///M
    BMW CCA #: 420077
    NCC Plate: 0682

Quote Originally Posted by slick230 View Post
    Are there still spots left? If so, should I do this with a bent rear lower control arm?
    Plenty of spots left. Please register online.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    1. As people have mentioned, it's a new car which eliminates a huge population of people who just won't do anything other than hard park or daily drive their car. It is extremely heavy (like all modern BMWs) and not competitive without a healthy chunk of change (like all modern BMWs) . It's perfectly fine to learn and to play with it either way.

2. For a 335, shift into second and drive.

3. Early afternoon or late morning session is what I prefer, but it depends on my schedule. I like to watch the morning session and some rubber is usually laid down by afternoon. Many will tell you it makes no difference.

4. Do as many autocross events and schools as possible.

5. No way to gauge. Pick a driver who finished ahead of you (any car) and compare their times with yours over the next few events. If you close the gap over the next few events, you know you're progressing.
    I need clarification, What exactly is a "hard park", a sideways slide into a barely large enough spot comes to mind. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I need clarification, What exactly is a "hard park", a sideways slide into a barely large enough spot comes to mind. Bob
    Here's a decent definition:

Coined by at least by the Honda-Tech mob describing cars that have all the "race"/track mods known to man and beast only to be parked up or never raced.

Benen tow hooks, lowered some much you scrape EVERYTHING, therefore things that are race used but all the car does is "hard parking"

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Plenty of spots left. Please register online.

I tried and I get the following error...

ERROR - Failed Spammer Checks - Err#101 !!

I'm not a spammer! I am trying to register from a computer lab in College Park.
    Last edited by slick230; 08-28-2009 at 11:34 AM.

2009 ///M

Never mind, I was able to register.

2009 ///M

Thread Information