Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) NCC Autocross Event #6 - August 29 @ Sykesville, MD - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: (2009) NCC Autocross Event #6 - August 29 @ Sykesville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    ...Some organizations do use a baseball line marker (a small wheeled contraption) that dumps a line of lime (flour is more environmental friendly these days) around one side of the course. Is that helpful to beginners? I've always contended that your eyes are not looking far enough ahead if you are trying to follow this chaulked line. Other opinions?
    A Porsche event I did (my 2nd ever) had these lines on both sides connecting each gate. They do seem pretty comforting. They made the course walk easier and I went into it a little more confident. After a run or two they didn't need to be there at all. I think they could actually be a little distracting for more experienced drivers. Maybe we could experiment with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ronh21 View Post
    For me, today's course broke down into three easy-ish to remember sections. Around the edge ending with a u-turn towards the middle, the hard left, then a big "S" starting and ending with slaloms. That would keep me heading the right direction. Of course there were other details, but that was it in a nutshell. Ron
    I think this is a great technique that I've used for years. Try to put a general description of the course into a few short sentences.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I'm one for simplicity, hundreds of cones isn't necessary to guide drivers through a course. Any type of auto race has a practice time for the specific course (or should). Ours happens to be walking the course. I saw Sam Bell, and others, out there answering any course questions. For me,this course was tight with a couple turns requiring hard steering from one direction to another. Part of that was due to my inability to stay off the gas. Looking at the times, the normal spread between the best and worst is consistent with other events. There aren't any complaints from me about the course, well maybe one. My opinion is there were too many hands in the development of the course and it lost, or never had, a flowing nature. But again, it was fine with me.

Professional Amateur
    James

For what it's worth, I thought yesterday's course was fantastic. Sure, it might not have flowed exactly perfect, however it presented some very unique challenges in which I REALLY enjoyed. It's always fun to have a course that sweeps gently, etc. but the technical sections are what frustrate me to become a better driver.

There's a fine line between a novice course (easy for beginners; boring for old timers) and an expert course (hard for beginners; a challenge for the more experienced). I think that yesterday's course pushed closer to the "expert" course - and I'm excited to see that only one participant ended the day with a DNF.

Jonathan, I especially like the fact you were only 1.1 seconds better than me this time. So keep this type of course and the setup your car had, and I may have a chance to have a better time than you. haaa

PA
    James

My 3rd ever autocross and I came in 1st in my class! I'm pretty excited about that. I wonder if I would have done any better if I had put air in my tires. I think they're filled with 29-30psi at the moment.

For those that had problems, I use this simple rule; Walk the course at least twice noting specific cones you want to look at and apexes you need to hit. Then imagine driving through the entire course. If you can't picture the entire course in your head then you need to walk it again. I walked the course 3 times and drove through it a few times in my head while waiting on the grid. I never went off or hit a cone. I thought the course was fun and I liked that it was longer and challenging.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    Jonathan, I especially like the fact you were only 1.1 seconds better than me this time. So keep this type of course and the setup your car had, and I may have a chance to have a better time than you. haaa

PA
    James
    He wasn't on race tires....

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber View Post
    My 3rd ever autocross and I came in 1st in my class! I'm pretty excited about that. I wonder if I would have done any better if I had put air in my tires. I think they're filled with 29-30psi at the moment.

For those that had problems, I use this simple rule; Walk the course at least twice noting specific cones you want to look at and apexes you need to hit. Then imagine driving through the entire course. If you can't picture the entire course in your head then you need to walk it again. I walked the course 3 times and drove through it a few times in my head while waiting on the grid. I never went off or hit a cone. I thought the course was fun and I liked that it was longer and challenging.

-John
    Yea those pressures are probably too low. They vary from car to car, type of tire and on driving style, but people typically run 35+ psi. You can use pressures, as you probably know, to adjust how the car handles (favors understeer or oversteer). Great job and glad you had a good time!

-- Adam

Actually, while the percentage of off course runs there were there were three other events that had more people with a final DNF. Event #2 and #3 each had two people with a DNF and Event #4 had three people. This one only had one person.

On another note we're trying to download pics now so hopefully they'll be up by Wednesday-ish.

~Katie

Biggins was on fire!
    The huge slide thru the off-set gates and the corner box is just great stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMVOhqqfYt0

JimmeyZcruizer muggin' for the camera.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMsS-Os9mPo

Good times...

Holy crap Sam, I felt ok with my driving until I saw this video. I think I should get one of those cameras for research and development. I couldn't keep up with all the mistakes I made. Thanks for the vid.
    BTW, Braxton Hicks has left the building, on to the real thing now !!!

Quote Originally Posted by forrealb50 View Post
    Also... I would love to see some pictures from the last few events? Is there some link that I don't know about?
    The past event isn't up yet but I do have the ones before that loaded here. The ones from Saturday might be up by Wednesday - it depends on how slow the computer is. I took just under 1500 this time around so we'll see.

~Katie

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    Well, you get a +1 for honesty. Per your request, I'll mark that run off course.
    That doesn't seem fair. The guy comes forth with the truth and you slap a +1 on him. Let him keep his clean run.

Quote Originally Posted by bradmw View Post
    that doesn't seem fair. The guy comes forth with the truth and you slap a +1 on him. Let him keep his clean run.
    lol!
    Paul P.
    <del>1996 318ti M-tech</del> - Messing around in FSP until the CP Camaro is done.

Help Stop Lung Cancer
    Maryland's Premier Autocross Team

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    , but for those of us who are just starting out, course layouts like this can be extremely frustrating.
    One of the things we have gotten away from using is a detailed course map. All it takes is a large poster paper and ink marker. The map would have to be drawn AFTER the course is firmly established, and preferably BEFORE the course walk. It could then be posted near the Timing and Scoring canopy.

A pre-printed hand-out map would only work if the course is finalized the day before the event.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thread Information