Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Why few 135Is at track events
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why few 135Is at track events

Why few 135Is at track events

I have seen very few 135Is at DEs? I have seen a lot of posting about drag racing. Why am I seeing so much more focus on drag racing?
    Alan
    08 135I
    83 911 SC (trackster)
    90 911 (Sally's Carrera)
    04 A4
    04 Blingmobile - tow vehicle

I haven't seen one 135i at a DE yet.
    Then again I don't see anyother 318ti's either.

Registered for the Ofest DE @ Road Atlanta.
    (2) 128i
    (3) 135i
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 07-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Alan, there were at least two 135is at the last autocross at Summit Point.

Quote Originally Posted by white911 View Post
    I have seen very few 135Is at DEs? I have seen a lot of posting about drag racing. Why am I seeing so much more focus on drag racing?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW0299 View Post
    Alan, there were at least two 135is at the last autocross at Summit Point.
    Different type of event.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

We've (www.MVPTrackTime.com) only had two 135 drivers at track events so far this year. Seems like it would be a great/fun track car.

Feff

Probably because people are worried about the engines. They require some accessories to avoid overheating.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

If you spend enough time evaluating the 135i, you'll find it doesn't make the greatest track car. I went so far as to order a 135i (new build) and while I was awaiting delivery, I re-evaluated my decision. I wanted a car that I could turn into a DE / autocross warrior. Between the engine (oil) heat issues, the tuning / reliability questions, and the wheels (you can't get wide wheels in those narrow wells), I had a bit of a change of heart. I ended up not taking delivery and got an E46 M3 instead, for about half the price too.

As the car ages, those questions will be sorted out, its owners will do the hard work of figuring out what good mods work for it, and I bet all this changes. But all that has already been sorted out for the E46, so I went the tried and tested route. Just my thoughts.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Mike's reasons might be right. I believe there was only one 135i at the Tarheel VIR event earlier this month. But I remember for the first few years of the E30 M3, there were very few attending our driver schools. I even commented on that subject in my Competition Corner column. Of course twenty years later, there are tons of these old M3s participating.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Could also be that the 135's purpose was to appeal to people that normally wouldn't buy a BMW...much less risk them at the track.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Could also be that the 135's purpose was to appeal to people that normally wouldn't buy a BMW...much less risk them at the track.
    The whole point of the 135i was to appeal to exactly the sort of people who might do that. It's just that it's not quite right in a few key areas, and if you're serious about it (and don't want to do your own development work), you can buy faster cars for a lot less.

I have a 135i and plan on attending the October drivers school. I was at the last autocross and car control clinic as well. I think the low numbers of 1 Series at track events has more to do with the relative newness of the car rather than any inherent limitations of the vehicles themselves.

Keep in mind, the 1 Series has only been available in the US for about a year and half and has not sold in very large numbers. Consider how many e46s are on the road and it's no surprise which model is more common at track events (or at just about any other event short of a 1 Series meet-up).

Second, most of the cars at track events tend to be at least a couple of years old. How many cars of any model roll right off the showroom floor and onto a track? It feels sort of weird showing up at a track with a car that is barely out of its break-in period.

Finally, regardless of how the 1 Series was marketed (reincarnation of 2002, blah, blah, blah), when I was shopping it was nearly impossible to find a 135i equipped with a manual transmission. I'd guess that the dealers stocked automatics over manuals by about 10 to 1. To each their own regarding transmission choices, but that leaves a very small fraction of an already small number that will appeal to enthusiasts. I actually had to test drive an automatic because the dealer didn't have any manuals when I first started shopping.

Would the discussion in this thread vary significantly for the 335? I am under the belief (please advise if you think its a mistaken belief) that the 335 is mechanically identical, and only slightly different in the body, to the 135.

Down the road I could see tracking my 335, but I also see that some (probably significant) expense would be involved in preparing this vehicle for track. That's part of why I am not tracking the 335 at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post
    Would the discussion in this thread vary significantly for the 335? I am under the belief (please advise if you think its a mistaken belief) that the 335 is mechanically identical, and only slightly different in the body, to the 135.

Down the road I could see tracking my 335, but I also see that some (probably significant) expense would be involved in preparing this vehicle for track. That's part of why I am not tracking the 335 at this time.
    From what I understand, suspension from a 335 can bolt up into a 135.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post

It's the same. With E46 M3s so dirt cheap right now, it's hard to buy a 135/335 if you're serious about track use.

Thread Information