Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Why few 135Is at track events - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why few 135Is at track events

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Mike's reasons might be right. I believe there was only one 135i at the Tarheel VIR event earlier this month. But I remember for the first few years of the E30 M3, there were very few attending our driver schools. I even commented on that subject in my Competition Corner column. Of course twenty years later, there are tons of these old M3s participating.

Good point Woody and Mike,

No matter what the BMW, it is hard to drive it off of the show room floor and unto the track while the new car smell still abounds. Most M3s for example probably never see the track until the warranty is expired, because of the nagging feeling that if BMWNA catches wind of you even driving by VIR or Watkins Glen they will void your warranty. I believe that in 2018 you will be sick of seeing 135is at the track.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

On the other hand I know of at least 5 purchasers of new M3s this spring or summer who have already put their cars on the track one or more times. Some would say, "that's what they are made for".
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

On the other hand I know of at least 5 purchasers of new M3s this spring or summer who have already put their cars on the track one or more times. Some would say, "that's what they are made for".

It probably has alot to do with the price point and stated purpose of each vehicle.

A) Few people track thier ONLY mode of transportation.

B) Few people who own a BMW //M model have only one car.

C) An 135i owner is much more likely to be in the demographic of those with only one vehicle and while they enjoy the sportiness of the One, they are not willing to risk wrecking thier 1 and only One!

D) If you are tracking your $70,000 M3 it is because you can afford not only the car, but any risk associated with tracking it.

In a world where people go broke tracking bone stock E30s, tracking new M3s is impressive indeed. By the way, if any of you now feel guilty about tracking, your M3, I will track it for you. I believe that as time goes by we will see more 135s, M3s, M5s and M6s on the track. It has always been that way and I sense history will not disappoint us now.
    Last edited by ///MARINE; 07-20-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Ultimately I tend to agree with Marine on all points. Still, 4-5 years from now it will be interesting to see if the 135 takes off 4-5 years from now when it hits the used car market at a more 'trackday' friendly cost.

I had every intention on buying a 1 then the housing market took a dive.
    I even had my license plate, FIRST 1. It would have been on the track as soon as the break-in period was over. All that is a moot subject now.

Come to think of it, I bought my 98 ti in Nov 97 and I think I was already doing DEs that next year.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

In 1987 I took European Delivery on a 325is. A few days after it came to the States I did an autocross with 800 miles, and a week or two later I did a DE at Watkins Glen with 1,400 miles. Recommended break-in procedures are overrated.
    Woody

I've seen more latest M5's, M3's, and 335's at track events than 135's come to think of it.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

I'd be perfectly content with a 128i to take out on the track. It's plenty fast enough for me and I always have the feeling of keeping a track car simple (naturally aspirated with minimal options). There seems to be no love from enthusiasts for the lower models which are just as capable.

I'd own a 120/123d 5-door and even another 4-cyl if one ever made it stateside. I'll definitely consider a 128i in a few years, but I've never trusted turbos/superchargers on cars. My friends who've had them seemed to spend more time working on them than driving them.

Then again, I drive a 318... sooooo I could be content with any model

I can't remember who said it now, but some BMW person in the know at the Pittsburgh Vintage GP this weekend said the 128i is the "sleeper" performance car in BMW's lineup.
    Woody

135 is a blast at the track

I took my 135 to Summit Pt (Shanandoah) in May and to Calabogie (Ontario, Canada) earlier this month (July). I am taking it to the Glen in August. I'm still learning to drive the car, but I can tell you it's a blast on the track.

I am using 235/40-17's all around to help the push. It still needs more negative camber at the front, so next winter will see camber plates installed. If you read the forums, braking (overheating) is an issue. I am using Hawk HP+ pads and ATE Superblue fluid and have had no brake problems. Also have had no problem whatever with oil temp.

The power and low RPM grunt of the 135 is amazing. Calabogie has a sharp lert turn and short straight that is up a steep hill. If the M3's caught me on that straight, I had to back completely out of the throttle so they could get wound up and making power.

I believe as these cars age, you will see plenty of them at track events. I bet at some point in time, someone will sell an E46 M3 to buy a 135

I can't remember who said it now, but some BMW person in the know at the Pittsburgh Vintage GP this weekend said the 128i is the "sleeper" performance car in BMW's lineup.
    My 1st modification of a 135i would be a 128i trunk # badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve21M5 View Post
    I took my 135 to Summit Pt (Shanandoah) in May and to Calabogie (Ontario, Canada) earlier this month (July).
    I'd love to hear your impressions of Calabogie. It's on my bucket list. This year friends talked me into the Pittsburgh Vintage GP instead.
    Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Steve21M5 View Post
    I took my 135 to Summit Pt (Shanandoah) in May and to Calabogie (Ontario, Canada) earlier this month (July). I am taking it to the Glen in August. I'm still learning to drive the car, but I can tell you it's a blast on the track.

I am using 235/40-17's all around to help the push. It still needs more negative camber at the front, so next winter will see camber plates installed. If you read the forums, braking (overheating) is an issue. I am using Hawk HP+ pads and ATE Superblue fluid and have had no brake problems. Also have had no problem whatever with oil temp.

The power and low RPM grunt of the 135 is amazing. Calabogie has a sharp lert turn and short straight that is up a steep hill. If the M3's caught me on that straight, I had to back completely out of the throttle so they could get wound up and making power.

I believe as these cars age, you will see plenty of them at track events. I bet at some point in time, someone will sell an E46 M3 to buy a 135
    Oof. Switch pads, please. The HP+ are ****ing awesome right up to the moment when they do nothing. They go off virtually instantaneously when they overheat. Switch back to stock or run real track pads.

The HP+ is the ULTIMATE street/autox pad, but it should NEVER be used on track.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

I'd love to hear your impressions of Calabogie. It's on my bucket list. This year friends talked me into the Pittsburgh Vintage GP instead.
    Calabogie was a great track. I wish it was closer - about 10.5 hours from my homebase in Pittsburgh. The locals called it a long, short-track. Lots of combination turns, lots of blind apexs. Some really long straights - one incredibly fun long right hand sweeper coming off "the ridge". You should definitely give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Oof. Switch pads, please. The HP+ are ****ing awesome right up to the moment when they do nothing. They go off virtually instantaneously when they overheat. Switch back to stock or run real track pads.

The HP+ is the ULTIMATE street/autox pad, but it should NEVER be used on track.
    Do you have personal experience with this? I've run these pads on my E34 M5 at Watkins Glen where there are several really hard braking zones and have never had a problem. Anybody else have any experience (good or bad) with the HP+ pads?

Thread Information