Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) How-To: Make An In-Car Camera Mount For Under $10
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2009) How-To: Make An In-Car Camera Mount For Under $10

(2009) How-To: Make An In-Car Camera Mount For Under $10

(Mods- Feel free to move to DIY, if desired. The subheading for that section indicated it was to ask questions, not to post unsolicited write-ups...plus, this seems fairly Auto-X-centric.)

I thought that I would do a quick write-up of my DIY in-car camera mount. I wanted something to take in-car video for several reasons:

• I wanted to show my wife what autoX was like, from my perspective
    • I wanted to be able to look over my runs to see whether time differences were due to the lines that I chose, under/over-steer, mistakes (mis-reading the cones), etc.
    • It is a cool way to brag to my non-car buddies about what I did over the weekend while they were mowing the grass.

That said, I wanted to go cheap for this attempt, in case I end up hating autoX or something (not likely). I read a few google results and decided that rather than spend ~$50, I could do it myself for under $10 (plus the cost of the camera).

Supplies:
    Square tubing (Mine is actually “C” channel that is about 1.5” square, and is perforated) that is long enough to span the distance between the inner headrest posts on your vehicle.
    Free, from a scrap pile at work. Similar square stock is $8-12 at Lowes
    Tripod head or other camera mount. Mine was $6 at WalMart
    Camera. I use a Canon S3 IS digital camera and a 4 GB SD card.
    Miscellaneous washers, bolts, and nuts (I bought 2 fender washers, 2 lock washers, 4 nylon-insert nuts, and 2 bolts. $2.56 at Lowes. In the end, I re-used the parts from the tripod base.

Pictures of what I used:

Tools needed:
    Drill and drill bits
    Philips screwdriver
    Hack saw

Optional:
    Dremel, file, or tape (or all of the above)

Process:

Determine the proper length of the main tube. I measured the distance between my headrest posts to be 22” center-to-center, so I allowed an inch or so at either end and made my cut with the hack saw.

Determine the proper hole size to allow the headrest post to go into/through the main tube. For me, it was 5/16” IIRC. Mark the center, drill a pilot hole, and then drill the larger hole. Do this through both sides of the tube.

Disassemble the tripod. Note: You may have already done this to determine the proper screw thread and length, if you need longer screws or bolts. For the tripod that I used, the proper thread was an M4. (Insert Bevis and Butthead voice) If you spread the legs, there is a screw in there.

Now measure to the center of the bar and drill a hole just large enough to get the screw into. If you are using a longer screw, you will need to do this on both the top and bottom sides of the tube.

For my application, I wanted to be able to tighten the screw through the bottom, and since it was C-channel and not square stock, I could easily manipulate the screw into the head of the tripod. If this was square stock, I would have used a longer screw or bolt and tightened from the bottom, so the picture below may not apply to everyone. I drilled a ¼” hole in the bottom to allow access to the screw head with a #2 Philips screwdriver.

After this, I reclined the seats, put the headrest posts through the drilled holes, and reinstalled the headrests. The hardest part was to incline the seats at the same rate so as to not scratch the headrest posts. I am sure that there was a better way to do that part, but it worked fine for me. Removal was the opposite.

Installed pictures:

Video, as shot from the mount:

Lesson learned: Secure the lens cap!

nice
    BMW ZHP

Better to secure it to one seat. There's no reason to use both. Rubber grommets can be used to protect the headrest posts.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    Better to secure it to one seat. There's no reason to use both. Rubber grommets can be used to protect the headrest posts.
    Is that for safety reasons? I rather like the center-cockpit feel to the video.

To the OP,

Nice 3 and good writeup!

Hey! THAT'S NOT A BMW!!!

(sticks out tongue in jest)

It kept the camera a lot more steady than I expected. Well done!

For those that wonder where I got my mount(s): www.panaviseonline.com

That 3-cup suction mount I have was about $40. Works well for outside camera mounting.

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by RedMS3 View Post
    Is that for safety reasons? I rather like the center-cockpit feel to the video.

To the OP,

Nice 3 and good writeup!
    You can get to the center perfectly adequately while mounting it to one seat.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

turned out nice pat...

here's one of my ghetto-fab rigs from the old ride. Lol, it was pretty funny looking but actually worked decently. The out-the window mount was pure money

Hmm, good call.

Agreed. I just wanted to be sure that it stayed steady and did not droop at all while driving.

For the next event, I intend to drill another set of holes to allow it to be mounted to just one seat and relocate the camera, similar to how Josh (Irish44j) has his mounted.

If it stays as steady, then I will stick with the single-seat mount for easy of use/installation.
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 07-14-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    Hey! THAT'S NOT A BMW!!!

(sticks out tongue in jest)
    Yeah, but it beat yours!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    It kept the camera a lot more steady than I expected. Well done!

For those that wonder where I got my mount(s): www.panaviseonline.com

That 3-cup suction mount I have was about $40. Works well for outside camera mounting.
    For a camera as heavy and large as mine, I don't trust that type of mount. Not that the camera is really THAT expensive, but it is more than I want to have to replace (or explain to my wife) if it gets damaged by a fall or the elements in an outside-of-the-cockpit mounting.

To the OP,

Nice 3 and good writeup!
    Thanks.

What do you mean by "Nice 3?"

Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    Thanks.

What do you mean by "Nice 3?"
    nvm, misread the logo on the steering wheel

nvm, misread the logo on the steering wheel
    Subarrrrrr powarrrrrr

Rubber gromets, rubber tubing, or even regular blue tape.

Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    Subarrrrrr powarrrrrr
    Yeah, after addressing Irish by his real name, I then thought you might be the Legacy driver

Thread Information