Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) NCC Autocross Event #5 - August 8 @ Sykesville, MD - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: (2009) NCC Autocross Event #5 - August 8 @ Sykesville, MD

My M doesn't need any help from the rain. My dry-rotted, just-about-bald, 4 year old pilot sports hate their life right now.

I'm only saying this to ensure this is my last event on them and I force myself to change to new equipment.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Final registration list attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mcoupemindy; 08-07-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Note: NO AM WALK-UP REGISTRATIONS PERMITTED

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    You're right down the road from me! Nice to see another local.

Don't worry about tire pressures just yet. You'll know when your driving improves to the level that you need to start worrying about it. Just run them 6-8 psi above stock and you'll be good.
    I have a stock E46 M3 ZCP. The door says to use 41 psi in the front and 48 psi in the back. The manual says this:

I have the stock 225/40 19 in front and 255/35 19 in the rear. Should I set them to 48/55 or 40/42?

Nice, I'm already #1

Quote Originally Posted by agreatham View Post
    I have a stock E46 M3 ZCP. The door says to use 41 psi in the front and 48 psi in the back. The manual says this:

I have the stock 225/40 19 in front and 255/35 19 in the rear. Should I set them to 48/55 or 40/42?
    That table shows street pressures of 33 front / 35 rear for up to four passengers. You're looking at the max load pressures!

With just a driver, I would say that you should probably start at 37 front / 39 rear.

Looks like it's going to be a great day!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...rom=hrly_graph

Lame.

Wow, on the heavy side for the AM!

We need as much of help as possible for AM setup tomorrow. If you are willing to assist, please show up around 8AM.

I can help in the AM.

Ethan

Boo for the dry conditions!

Newbies

My brother and I have signed up for our first autocross. Two questions:

1. Based on the registration list, I'm assuming the last column is our assigned number and that is what we need to post on the cars. How big does the numbering need to be?

2. Any advice to the noobs?
    Last edited by e30 + e90; 08-07-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by e30 + e90 View Post
    My brother and I have signed up for our first autocross. Two questions:

1. Based on the registration list, I'm assuming the last column is our assigned number and that is what we need to post on the car. How big does the numbering need to be?

2. Any advise to the noobs?
    I am fairly new as well, but some things that I have picked up from watching and attending:

• You have to have everything that is not secured in the car out of your car- loose change, floormats, CDs, sweatshirts, iPod, everything. I take a big rubbermade tote to keep my stuff in.
    • Use blue painters' tape to mark your numbers. Make them big- about 6" high (or larger).
    • Use white shoe polish to mark the sidewalls on your tires to make sure that the pressure is not too low. If it rubs off, you need more air pressure. If it is too high, you will have bad traction (it will be obvious). You may also have to adjust the pressure mid-event. Keep a tire gauge in your pocket, and get a small air tank or portable compressor to add air.
    • The vehicle that I drive (a non-GT Legacy) is pretty slow, and quite heavy. Do what you can to minimize the shortcomings of your car.
    • I found that good tires help a LOT. Getting dedicated autoX tires helps you in that you can push the car harder and know that you still have your street tires to get to work on Monday. I mounted mine on light wheels (17 lb. each) and only run the to, from, and on the track. You don't have to spend a ton- my wheel/tire setup was only $400, used. Worth every penny.
    • Any suspension stiffening is likely to be better than stock, unless you have a factory "performance" car. I have lowered my car and increased the strength of my struts (front only), and still need a stiffer RSB.
    • Having the camera in the car allowed me to critiquie my runs to see where I made bad decisions.
    • I talk to ANYONE at these events who seem to know what they are doing. Tech inspectors (after tech session is over), drivers beside me, old guys who have been doing this for years- anyone. You can pick up tips from anywhere.
    • Taking a few rides with experienced drivers was a HUGE plus. Also, having one ride along and guide me for my first few runs was good as well. They can help guide you through the course, and then can help you focus on areas to improve in subsequent runs. My first event, I did 2 ride-alongs, then I took an instructor for 2 runs, then did 2 runs on my own. It worked for me.
    • Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    • I went and bought my own helmet. The thought of sharing a sweaty helmet skeeves me out, so I dropped $57 on an HJC CL-5 open face Snell 2005 helmet. You will need a Snell- (not just DOT)-rated helmet. An open face helmet is easier to wear, in my experience, but a SNELL open face is a little harder to find than is a full-face. I bought mine at a motorcycle shop.
    • If you get a helmet, be sure to try before you buy. I had my mind set on one model, but this one fit a lot better (and was cheaper, too).
    • For 90% of events, you can make your 1-2 shift and stay in second.

Thanks for the tips. See you out there tomorrow!

Thread Information