Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Aftermarket Navi

Thread: Aftermarket Navi

Aftermarket Navi

I am looking to install an aftermarket navi in my 03 M3. Has anyone move the AC controls down to the pop out compartment? If so, did you need any special mounting brackets or wiring harnesses?

You need a different lower trim piece that accepts the HVAC control unit. Its about $70 retail part iirc. Also, make sure you know what you're getting into. I'm not saying you don't, but replacing the stereo with a double-din (like the popular pioneer or alpine models) will require cutting of the ac ducting behind the stereo, fabrication of a re-route, a special 'harness' to hold the double-din, and a new faceplate. Oh yeah, and you'll need at a minimum new crossovers, and a new amp if you want to do it 'right'.

If you haven't already, make sure you search through the tutorials on e46fanatics to get a better idea of the work involved. Its a great project, just more involved than it is on many other cars.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I'm not saying you don't, but replacing the stereo with a double-din (like the popular pioneer or alpine models) will require cutting of the ac ducting behind the stereo, fabrication of a re-route.

That blows. I will check out the site you listed. Thanks for the info.

Here's a cheap solution...
    Buy a good map....

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    Here's a cheap solution...
    Buy a good map....
    Who wants cheap?

Of course, what the heck was I thinking.....?

Map?!? What?
    V '87 535is (FE2O3): (sigh)
    V '86 325e (GRN HLL): 6 quarts of oil in the Patuxent River
    ^ '04 x3 3.0i : Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
    V '76 Austin Mini
    Check out my blog! www.335bmws.blogspot.com

Having used a Garmin off and on for the last year, I've found it best to rely on a map first and the GPS as a fun back up.

A couple of weeks ago while traveling with friends in Utah, one turned on his GPS one morning and it said he was somewhere in Oklahoma.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

I have friends that use these stupid things to find the Blockbuster up the street and sometimes they are taken through a few zip codes to get there (after pressing a bunch of buttons). Maps are the ultimate picture book for guys and they always work.

I have an 08 335i with the BMW Navi and I think it stinks. There are so many better portable, aftermarket Nav systems out there, that you if you get tired of it or better models come out, you won't be out the big investment and rework.

Quote Originally Posted by mdepena View Post
    I have an 08 335i with the BMW Navi and I think it stinks. There are so many better portable, aftermarket Nav systems out there, that you if you get tired of it or better models come out, you won't be out the big investment and rework.
    I am also looking for integrated bluetooth, IPod, and XM which is not offered with the portable units. As for the stock NAVI, most suck. The only stock NAVI I ever liked was in my Acura RL. I found a nice DIY on E46Fanatics which doesnt look to troublesome.

2009 ///M
    BMW CCA #: 420077
    NCC Plate: 0682

Look for a single-din GPS. I believe they're out there.

I wouldn't go for this model, but here's an example: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDN8...ch=in-dash+gps

What traction control?

Quote Originally Posted by gbauer View Post
    Look for a single-din GPS. I believe they're out there.

I wouldn't go for this model, but here's an example: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XDN8...ch=in-dash+gps

I would but I don't like how the screen covers the air vents.

2009 ///M
    BMW CCA #: 420077
    NCC Plate: 0682

I had a single-DIN flip-out navi in my Z4. The screen covering the vents was a non-issue as while I had the vents out I put electrical tape over the center 60% of it so air only came out the sides (around the screen). It had a negligible impact on the HVAC system's ability to operate as normal.

Don't let that consideration stop you. If you're not a fan of the aesthetics, well, that I can't help you with.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Thread Information