Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Bedding-in procedure question

Thread: Bedding-in procedure question

Bedding-in procedure question

I have an '03 530i with 60k miles. I intend to replace the brake pads/rotors with Cool Carbons and Ate rotors.

I look at the bedding-in procedure for the Ates, and it says to go easy for 400 miles. Looking at the Cool Carbon instructions, I'm told to do a dozen 60 - 20 mph stops to build up friction material on the rotors, let cool down for a few minutes, then do it again.

Since these two things seem somewhat contradictory, does anyone have any real-world guidance? The car is used for mostly highway driving, but I'll be autocrossing it, too.

Thanks,
    Brian

i've always used these instructions, its pretty fun although it kinda sucks trying to find a stretch of road to do it.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Sounds good! I think I'll get up around 5 a.m. on Saturday and get this going. Thanks-

I followed the Zeckhausen recommendations for my Axxis ULTs and slotted rotors. Not that hard to find the open road required, it ends up taking less time/space than one might think.

The purpose is to transfer some of the brake pad to the rotor; that said, I'm not 100% sold that with the driving I do, including HPDE, it makes a difference. Perhaps at the higher levels, or with a racing pad, it becomes more relevant.

I don't see how it can hurt, just make sure that there's no one ahead or behind you (at least too close!) when you do it. After 1-2 60-10s, I came up on someone driving ahead of me at about 50-55, and I would each time get closer to them as I accelerated up to 60, and then hit the brakes (no one behind me, of course!). Eventually they made a turn, so it wasn't an issue when I did some 80-10 at the end to complete the bedding process.

There was some discoloration of the rotor after bedding, which I understand is normal. It went away pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post
    I don't see how it can hurt, just make sure that there's no one ahead or behind you (at least too close!) when you do it. After 1-2 60-10s, I came up on someone driving ahead of me at about 50-55, and I would each time get closer to them as I accelerated up to 60, and then hit the brakes (no one behind me, of course!). Eventually they made a turn, so it wasn't an issue when I did some 80-10 at the end to complete the bedding process.
    i usually try to find a totally empty road so i dont have to worry about anyone being around. no way i want someone around where i cant control what THEY do.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    i usually try to find a totally empty road so i dont have to worry about anyone being around. no way i want someone around where i cant control what THEY do.
    Not so easy to find around us in Columbia!

The guy in front was never uncomfortably close, just got closer each time!

I would have abandoned the process if it got remotely questionable.

He probably was wondering what was going on, though, if he looked in his rear view mirror!

Thread Information