Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Brake Fluid Flush/Bleed question

Thread: Brake Fluid Flush/Bleed question

Brake Fluid Flush/Bleed question

I am planning to flush my brake fluid at the upcoming DIY event. My question is, currently I use BMW brake fluid but I am planning to switch to ATE Super Blue. Since there may be some old brake fluid left inside the ABS module, is it safe to mix the BMW brake fluid (left over in the ABS module) with ATE Super Blue? Is there anyway to trick the ABS so that I can also flush the brake fluid inside the ABS or should I just stick with BMW brake fluid? Thanks all.

The two you mentioned can mix. Dealers can force your ABS to pump but you only can by driving in grass, braking, and using ABS. I wouldn't worry about it. I would however bleed the clutch line too, since it shares fluid with the brake system.
    Last edited by Car54; 06-16-2009 at 09:18 PM.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

The tool to open the ABS valves is a BMW GT1 computer. They cost about $3-5000, but are not uncommon in shops that service a lot of BMWs.

You might seriously consider calling the shop this week and asking if they have one, and if it can be used during the DIY for a brake flush. Then you know it will have been done right.

Mixing BMW fluid and ATE is no problem- they are both DOT4 spec fluids. ATE Blue will dye your brake system blue, and you will never get the dye out of plastic parts like your brake reservoir. Not a big deal, but you should know. When you flush again with ATE Gold, the blue dye often dyes the gold and makes it hard to tell when you're getting clean fluid out of the bleeder valve.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

Thread Information