Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Autocross Events
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (2009) Autocross Events

(2009) Autocross Events

For the people who asked where they can find more autocross practice, there is enough to keep you busier than you might like:

As many have said, "get out and practice!"

There are some schools offered by the SCCA that are really good too. The website mentions them from time to time. While I feel that NONE of the other groups can match the charisma and all around affability of the NCC BMW group, I do know the feeling of being frustrated and wanting to practice and practice. The events below are good for that.

This is only about 75% of what is out there. I personally am doing the BMW, SCCA and AI events with an occasional Porsche event, which makes about two to three events per month. If anyone is going, we can always create an NCC faction at the other clubs so no one is ever a loner... especially at SCCA, which can be huge and daunting.

Codes:

NCC = us (BMW)
    SCCA = sports car club of america = http://www.wdcr-scca.org/
    AI = autocrosser's inc (scca people) = http://www.wdcr-scca.org/
    above(scca / ai) = register at www.dlbracing.com
    PPCA = potomac porsche club of america = http://www.pcapotomac.org/
    CPCA = chesepeake porsche club of america = http://www.pcachs.org/
    CDC = capitol driving club = http://www.capitaldrivingclub.com/
    be weary of the CDC events in Frederick, MD.. VERY SMALL lot.

Other Clubs:

Mercedes-Benz = http://www.gws-mbca.org/index.html
    Mazda Sports Car Club of Washington = www.mscw.com
    NASA = http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross/
    Cumberland Airport = http://www.nationalroadrally.com/info.html

2009 NL SCHEDULE - AUTOCROSS

Mar 21 Autocrossers Inc EVO School
    Mar 22 Autocrossers Inc Event #1
    Mar 28 NCC AX #1 at Summit Skid Pad
    Mar 28 CDC Frederick
    Mar 29 SCCA Practice AX Fedex
    Mar 29 CDC Test&Tune Frederick

April 4 sat CDC Bowie
    April 11 sat Autocrossers Inc
    Apr 18 BMW AX school at MSP
    April 18 sat CDC Summit Point
    April 26 sun SCCA #1 Fedex
    April 26 sun PPCA Bowie #1

May 2 NCC AX #2 Summit Point (PM heat)
    May 3 AI Blue Crab Stadium
    May 9 CDC MSP
    May 16 CPCA #1
    May 24 sun PPCA #2
    May 31 sun SCCA AX #2

June 7 sun Autocrosser’s Inc #4
    Jun 13 sat NCC AX #3 MSP
    June 19/20/21 DC Pro Solo – (register on national site)
    June 21 CPCA #2
    June 27 NCC Car Control Clinic at MSP

Jul 11 sat NCC AX #4 TSP
    Jul 12 sun SCCA AX #3
    July 18 sat CDC MSP, CPCA #3

Aug 2 sun SCCA AX #4
    Aug 8 NCC AX #5 MSP
    Aug 16 (mod) SCCA AX #5 CPCA #4
    Aug 29 NCC AX #6 MSP

Sept 19 CDC MSP, CPCA #5
    Sep 27 (mod) SCCA AX #6
    Sept 26 NCC AX #7 Bowie

Oct 11 (mod) SCCA AX#7
    Oct 9-11 NCC DS at JC
    Oct 17 CDC MSP
    Oct 18 CPCA #6
    Oct 24 NCC AX #8 Bowie

Nov 4 CPCA #7

Finally, if enough people attend an event, we can all compare videos. I use a simple camera mount that cost about $5 total and record all my events and analyze them afterwards. A lot of people do this that are fast: JB and CB and BH and WH to name a few.

My videos are at www.youtube.com/gol737 This also gives you a feel of what each location is like.

Here was yesterday's event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2mBB...e=channel_page
    Last edited by noelleslie; 06-14-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: club additions

The AI series is fantastic and is closer to the feel "friendship". PCA events are also great IMO.

I stay away from the SCCA like the plague now. It seems like nothing but bad attitudes, hostility, and big $$$ competition.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I stay away from the SCCA like the plague now. It seems like nothing but bad attitudes, hostility, and big $$$ competition.
    And great courses on a great lot at FedEx Field (Redskins' stadium).
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Jonathan, your exhaust note alone could handle those attitudes and hostility. I know it scared me yesterday (just a little). BTW , did that 3.73 final drive make a big difference for you? 3.15 stock ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    Jonathan, your exhaust note alone could handle those attitudes and hostility. I know it scared me yesterday (just a little). BTW , did that 3.73 final drive make a big difference for you? 3.15 stock ?
    I'm still on the fence with the final drive 3.73 - a big jump from the stock 3.23. I hit the end of 2nd twice, but didn't want to waste the time to shift into third. It definitely hauls in 2nd to the redline.

I had GOBS of understeer yesterday - a first for the car. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    And great courses on a great lot at FedEx Field (Redskins' stadium).
    Agreed - they do have some awesome courses.

I just want to add in that the Greater Washington Section of the Mercedes Club has monthly events, all at Millbrook high school in Winchester. It's a very friendly group, and usually maxes out around 40-45 cars, half MB. In May we did 4 AM and 4 PM runs, plus fun runs.

http://www.gws-mbca.org/index.html

Great list Noel and good additions guys! I'm one of the people itching for additional fun (or practice, call it what you want) so I look forward to spotting fellow NCC members at some of these events.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Cool. I updated the list to reflect the MB Club.

Thanks for the list!

Cumberland, MD AX series

It's a little further afield, but around 2-hours from the DC and Baltimore beltways. I'm talking about the monthly Cumberland Airport AX series. They run separate events on different courses Saturday and Sunday. You can do either day of both. Cumberland is a beautiful town and has Friday night street parties in the summer. The autocross group has a barbeque or crab feast on Saturday evening. I recommend spending at least one night up there, but it's not necessary.

http://www.nationalroadrally.com/info.html

Here is a video from a Factory Five Cobra at the June event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy2jtvnB8ZE
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Don't forget about NASA events as well, including CircuitCross (Coming up in July) which is a hybrid of autocrossing and time-trials.

Here's their schedule:
    http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross/
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Circuitcross looks like a lot of fun, but that's a long drive to VIR for an overgrown autocross. Yet, why am I tempted to sign up...
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Circuitcross looks like a lot of fun, but that's a long drive to VIR for an overgrown autocross. Yet, why am I tempted to sign up...
    My thoughts exactly. I'm wondering if I can do just Sat HPDE, then the circuitcross stuff all day Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    I've seen events in Hampton Roads area that use the oval's banks then you dive into the infield. 3rd gear is needed.

Hampton Roads isn't as far as VIR from DC area.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Thread Information