Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Marque Madness at VIR - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marque Madness at VIR

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    I took 360->95N leaving at 4:30pm and made it home (exit 163) at 8:15pm pulling a car trailer. I did not go more than the standard 5-10 over.

Oh and this was Friday night.
    I made the mistake of taking I95 all the way to 85 then to 58 on Friday, to VIR. I left Baltimore at 1:30PM, got to VIR at 9:00 PM. There was brief stop on Route 58, about 5 miles from the VIR turn, where a local state trooper was kind enough to stop me for a break, and a relief of some of the ballast in my car coming from my wallet. 74 in a 55, I understand that this removed about $160 from my wallet. Thankfully, didn't have to deal with the "reckless" part, which I understand requires a draw on the home equity line to satisfy.

Coming home Sunday night, did the 29 North to 66 Gerry recommended above. 100% the right way to go; no traffic, didn't see a cop the entire way. But, held it to the 5-10 over in any case.

Next time I go to VIR, definitely the 66/29 route; I will steer clear of 95.

When will Virginia join the rest of the country and give us a fighting chance, let us use the radar detectors.

Quote Originally Posted by e30m3sm View Post
    Steven and Woody: I am sorry I missed you guys on Fri. I got in at 5 pm for the MazdaDrivers event and did not see any of my Bimmer bretheren.

The MDA event went well and we were incident free. The Grand East is one of my favorite track.

Gerry Chan
    Sorry I missed you Gerry. JoElla told me it was another good two days.

I'm a 58/360/95 advocate. My record from paddock to driveway in Arlington is 3:45 without going more than 10-over. US29 (almost) always takes longer even though this distance is about the same. When VIR re-opened 10 years ago I counted over 50 traffic lights between VIR and the DC beltway. The Lynchburg bypass eliminated many of those but they're still a killer. The Tarheel event every Fourth of July weekend necessitates expecting jams on 95. I don't use a CB, but bailing out on US 1 if you're near an exit can get you around long stoppages.
    Last edited by woodym3; 06-19-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post
    There was brief stop on Route 58, about 5 miles from the VIR turn, where a local state trooper was kind enough to stop me for a break, and a relief of some of the ballast in my car coming from my wallet. 74 in a 55
    I hear this a lot!

http://forum.nccbmwcca.org/showpost....5&postcount=41
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Quote Originally Posted by woodym3 View Post
    Sorry I millsed you Gerry. JoElla told me it was another good two days.

I'm a 58/360/95 advocate. My record from paddock to driveway in Arlington is 3:45 without going more than 10-over. US29 (almost) always takes longer even though this distance is about the same. When VIR re-opened 10 years ago I counted over 50 traffic lights between VIR and the DC beltway. The Lynchburg bypass eliminated many of those but they're still a killer. The Tarheel event every Fourth of July weekend necessitates expecting jams on 95. I don't use a CB, but bailing out on US 1 if you're near an exit can get you around long stoppages.
    Woody: JoElla helped me with the line on the GE. She is still one of the best.
    I taught Richard John's line through the Bitch in clas and quite a few students told me the really liked it.

My M3 is like driving a new car as the shift points and torque delivery are all different. It is also not dead perfect neutral anymore. Now it is on a very fine balance between under/oversteer and transitions quickly between the 2. I am paying for having 2 extra cylinders cantilever forward of the front axle. Looks like I have lots of suspension development work ahead of me.

I used to take the 95 route down on Fri and the 29/66 back on Sunday but now I just take 29 both ways and enjoy the much better scenery. I just hate sitting at a stillstill on an interstate. I would rather stop for the many lights on 29.
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    Great event! Really had a good time on and off the track!

Here's some vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm6fbxswATg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9jnwr0xN0
    Great videos, you're noticeably smoother than I am.
    This is from red group, day 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=injuVzo_R5w

Woody: JoElla helped me with the line on the GE. She is still one of the best.
    I taught Richard John's line through the Bitch in clas and quite a few students told me the really liked it.

My M3 is like driving a new car as the shift points and torque delivery are all different. It is also not dead perfect neutral anymore. Now it is on a very fine balance between under/oversteer and transitions quickly between the 2. I am paying for having 2 extra cylinders cantilever forward of the front axle. Looks like I have lots of suspension development work ahead of me.

I used to take the 95 route down on Fri and the 29/66 back on Sunday but now I just take 29 both ways and enjoy the much better scenery. I just hate sitting at a stillstill on an interstate. I would rather stop for the many lights on 29.
    I have to echo the comments from everyone, that it was a great weekend. Worked with JoElla, Scott, Glenn, and Gerry on the Bitch and refining the "Virtual" apex method of going through it. Started to get it down by Sunday afternoon. In my class, the Vipers, Vettes, stray Panoz and other high HP cars had me getting my exercise pointing them by on the front and back straights. Vipers still cause me discomfort........

Rode with Gerry to see how it felt in the E30M3 Hybrid compared to the Real M3. The Hybrid maintains more of the feel than I expected and the extra torque is nice at Oak tree. Gerry came out in my session on Sunday afternoon and we were going to play follow the leader through Bitch, but it turned to be more of an off line exercise for Gerry with me somewhat on the School line outside

Fine time was had by all and Joe & Mimmi's was as good as every. While Steven likes Mid Ohio more, I think that the Grand East is still one of the best venues in this part of the US. MDA did themselves proud once again.
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

I regret that I could not go. I have yet to drive VIR in a fully healthy car I felt confident in.
    Bob Hopkins
    M3 1997 Black "Vader"
    911 1986 Red "Baron"

I also had a great time. Great to see Woody and the ncc group. My first trip to VIR and what a blast, very challenging track. Had Nick Pinto of audi club for instructor and he was excellent. Knew the track in and out. Zero traffic in the rungroup, plenty of WOT running.( not hard with an e30 m3). Definately plan to return next year.
    Cheers,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Jenson Button View Post
    I regret that I could not go. I have yet to drive VIR in a fully healthy car I felt confident in.
    Bob: Next year sign up for all 4 days ( 2 with Tri-Marque and 2 with MDA, which runs the Grand East; which was Richard John's favorite configuration down at VIR)

Even a new "Pork Chop" driver can manage the infield course, not to mention Oak Tree and the Climbing Esses.

Gerry
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Here is a ~6-min video of the Grand East:

Fatih

Bob: Next year sign up for all 4 days ( 2 with Tri-Marque and 2 with MDA, which runs the Grand East; which was Richard John's favorite configuration down at VIR)

Even a new "Pork Chop" driver can manage the infield course, not to mention Oak Tree and the Climbing Esses.

Gerry
    Heh, Gerry, remember who you are refering to here, Jenson and his "Pork Chop" would have more fun on T10 if he lifts!!
    Chuck Grafton
    '90 ///M3
    '99 ///M3
    '05 X3
    Springfield VA

Have the pictures been poster yet to the Picasso site?
    ~Phil

Phil, the photo's are posted on the fandsenterprises.com website.

http://www.fandsenterprises.com/vircar.htm

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glindsay View Post
    Phil, the photo's are posted on the fandsenterprises.com website.

http://www.fandsenterprises.com/vircar.htm
    Grr, so I can't even use a small version without the water if I don't buy it? I guess I will look in to purchasing a few.

I thought there was a club member taking photos at Oak tree?
    ~Phillip
    Last edited by M50_328is; 06-19-2009 at 02:20 PM.

I saw Joe Wozney taking pics at Oak Tree. He's a club organizer for Mercedes. Check their forum.

You can right click and save the small pics on F&S's website.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Thread Information