Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Marque Madness at VIR
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Marque Madness at VIR

Marque Madness at VIR

Marque Madness was a great event except maybe the bottom line on the financial statement. There were four student groups of approximately 16 cars each, and that meant a lot of open track they were spread out along the 3.27 mile full course. Except for a Thursday morning thunderstorm that wiped out several sessions, the weather was very cooperative both days. And the track dried way too fast for my liking after that storm. With two students each, and a break between each one, no instructors were overworked.

Naturally, BMWs outnumbered the other makes, but Mercedes and Audi were well represented. There was a Ferrari 430 Scuderia in the Red (advanced) group, and several very fast Porsche Turbos, including a GT2, in the instructor group. The most interesting (and expensive) car in the instructor group was a Mercedes McLaren SLR 722 that was purpose-built for the Speed World Challenge series. This $1-million car was driven by Rolex Grand-Am racer Spencer Pumpelly and supported by a 5-man crew. It should make its competitve debut at the next World Challenge event July 25-26 at Autobahn Country Club. The Racers Group (TRG) prepared and the car at their Mooresville, NC facility.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Jealous!
    RRT Racing Crew Member

Great event, thanks to everyone who put it together.

It was a nice event.
    With the threat of rain I packed up before my last session.
    I hate packing up in the rain.

I hope MM will return next year.
    I'm going to save up for all 4 days assuming MazdaDrivers will be back next year.

Thanks, Woody and Raf.

Now to fix my throttle cable.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Great event! Really had a good time on and off the track!

Here's some vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm6fbxswATg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK9jnwr0xN0
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Thanks guys! Had a great time, learned a bit more as usual and enjoyed everyone's company. I thoroughly enjoyed talking with the owner of and watching the 430 circle the track, what a beautiful piece of machinery. Spencer was very friendly and down to earth, having the SLR there was truly an experience. It was also excellent to see the Sullivan's ( i believe that is correct) in their pair of 911's. Thursday's dinner was delicious and the BBQ was excellent as always! I had a blast and look forward to next year.
    Thanks again everyone!
    ~Phillip

It was a really good event. The rain wasn't too bad, gave us a chance to relax a little. The Mazda event during the weekend was well attended, the paddock was full and there were, I think ~30 cars per run group, 4 groups + instructors. The weekend weather was near perfect, not a drop of rain, but Saturday was very humid.

The down side of this VIR event was the return home. I skipped the last session on Sunday and hit the road at 3:30, I made it home at 9 I95 was stop-and-go for about 35 miles, which was not pleasent at all and frustrating.

Other than that Tom Hart and Glenn were very helpful in teaching me few lines and increasing my smoothness, and I came out with some really valuable lessons. Looking at the data logger info at the end of each day was very revealing as well, I would highly recommend it to all.

I also need to add that it was truly a pleasure to see some of the old buddies that I hadn't seen in a long time; Rafael, Steven, Neil and others... great to see you guys once again.

Cheers,
    Last edited by FT; 06-15-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    Fatih

350Z Glenn or M3 Glen?
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

M3 Glenn.
    Fatih

I was checking the weather for you over the weekend.
    It looked to be the same as Thurs/Fri. Glad it worked out.

I left Friday early decided to take a new way south to 85.
    I got good and lost until I broke out the GPS on my phone.
    Pouring rain then popped out where it was clear the rest of the way home.

Hope to do all 4 days next year.

FT- Good seeing you!
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by FT View Post
    It was a really good event. The rain wasn't too bad, gave us a chance to relax a little. The Mazda event during the weekend was well attended, the paddock was full and there were, I think ~30 cars per run group, 4 groups + instructors. The weekend weather was near perfect, not a drop of rain, but Saturday was very humid.

The down side of this VIR event was the return home. I skipped the last session on Sunday and hit the road at 3:30, I made it home at 9 I95 was stop-and-go for about 35 miles, which was not pleasent at all and frustrating.

Cheers,
    Next time take 29 North, to 66 to 495 to 270 back.
    I-95 comes to a standstill at Fredericksburg on Sunday nights. If you avoid speeding around the small burghs you will have a pleasant ride back
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Steven and Woody: I am sorry I missed you guys on Fri. I got in at 5 pm for the MazdaDrivers event and did not see any of my Bimmer bretheren.

The MDA event went well and we were incident free. The Grand East is one of my favorite track.

Gerry Chan
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by e30m3sm View Post
    The Grand East is one of my favorite track
    The Grand East is a workout.

My favorite is still Mid-Ohio.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

Quote Originally Posted by e30m3sm View Post
    Next time take 29 North, to 66 to 495 to 270 back.
    I-95 comes to a standstill at Fredericksburg on Sunday nights. If you avoid speeding around the small burghs you will have a pleasant ride back
    I took 360->95N leaving at 4:30pm and made it home (exit 163) at 8:15pm pulling a car trailer. I did not go more than the standard 5-10 over.

Oh and this was Friday night.
    Car54 ...well, now Car52

Craig Brickner

Gerry,

Your instruction was excellent, it really enhanced my experience. Your suggestions, from having an instructor drive my car, to how to avoid nauseau from the passenger seat, to the telephone pole at the top of the hill going to the blind turn on the Patriot course, and on and on, were all excellent!

This was an amazing event, and I can't wait until the next time I get on track.

I felt like I learned and improved a great deal, and of course have lots of improvements to look forward to.

The Miata is excellent for that purpose; I recall how I felt pretty good about the Oak Tree turns in my 335 last year, but my instructor had some concerns and suggestions. I don't think I really understood what I wasn't doing right. This time, in the Miata, I finally understood what my instructor was saying last year, and the Oak Tree turns (and the similar turn coming out of the Bitch at the bottom of the hill), gave me the most trouble on the course. Hopefully I will make some progress at Summit Point Main, where I understand that there is a similar turn.

Thanks again, an absolutely amazing and perfect weekend!

Thread Information