Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
S54 Leaking oil

Thread: S54 Leaking oil

S54 Leaking oil

Hey guys, I have a 2001 S54 motor with 45,000 miles on it dropping oil on the driveway after warmed up. It doesn't seem to be coming from the oil pan gasket but a little higher up and near/behind the A/C compressor (can't yet say weather or not the fan is blowing the oil up in there. I haven't yet started taking anything off to verify origin, I thought I would jump on to see if anyone has an immediate clue. Any suggestions/history lessons would be appreciated.

I don't know how different these are from a M52/S52 but I had a leaky oil filter housing.
    Oil leaks from the plugs in the housing. I think on some housings you can replace the plugs. Check around the VANOS oil hose too.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Judging by your description, my personal experience seeing it (not on my car thankfully) and numerous reports of it on M3Forum... I'm going to guess a seal failure at your constant pressure valve. This relief valve is on the passenger side of your block, basically just under the rear header and is pretty hard to get to unless you've got your car on a lift. Even then its no trick.

It is #10 on this diagram and your likely culprit. The valve itself is fine but it has an integrated rubber o-ring which is known to deform and allow a slow oil leak. The fix is to replace the part as a separate seal is unavailable.

Here is an example thread on it: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=217320

And here are some pics for location and visual reference on an S54 outside of a chassis.

Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Thanks for the tips, Thursday morning I'll be out there looking deeper. I hope it's not the pressure valve, actually I hope it's just a bad dream and it's chocolate syrup on the drive and little angels are dancing and laughing. Gotta stop eating those wacky mushrooms.
    I'll post what I see, thanks again.

You want it to be the CPV. It's accessible without any significant disassembly for low cost if you DIY.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Well, you won't believe what the problem was. I didn't get to start looking in depth until this evening. It took me a while to figure this out because I cleaned the car up and took it for a drive to see fresh oil. After it cooled a bit I noticed loose oil pan bolts. Four to be exact. Two were very loose and two where half of that. I was very happy, in a way, that was all. One little setback though, I sheared one of the bolts in half. Oops, a bit more than 10nm I think. Friday I'm off to fix my next issue.
    Any tips on that......?!?!

Drill it out with an EZout.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Thanks for the help. I've got the bolt out and replaced. No more oil on the ground, yippie !!

Congrats on a successful diagnosis and fix!
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Thread Information