Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
MazdaDrivers at VIR Grand East following the Marque Madness - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MazdaDrivers at VIR Grand East following the Marque Madness

Ethan: I will be the classroom instructor for all 3 student run groups. I have driven my spec miata for the past 7 yrs on most of the tracks in the Mid-Atlantic and NE.

The GE at VIR is one of my favorite tracks as it was for my friend and mentor, the late Richard John.
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Quote Originally Posted by e30m3sm View Post
    Ethan: I will be the classroom instructor for all 3 student run groups. I have driven my spec miata for the past 7 yrs on most of the tracks in the Mid-Atlantic and NE.

The GE at VIR is one of my favorite tracks as it was for my friend and mentor, the late Richard John.
    I have no basis of comparison, having only participated in one prior HPDE. But, it was a great challenge for me, and I really felt that in the short time on track I managed to imrove significantly.

I did hear from Dave, he said I should speak with him after the event but that he is willing to accomodate my request to get the discounted rate.

Gerry, would you recommend that I run with the top down?

Ethan

Yes, top down but please be aware that VIR will impose the broom stick test on your roll bar. Simply stated to top of your helmeted head needs to be 2" BELOW the height of the bar. Also, you may have instructors who don't want to ride in a convertible, at least w/o arm restraints.

(In the event of a rollover, arms can and often do flail about and are subject to being crushed by the bar and the ground.) A factory fiberglass hardtop in conjunction with a good roll bar is the safer way. A full on cage with hardtop and proper 5/6 pt harness is safer still. If you are not sure about passing the broomstick test then bring your bimmer down.
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

The weather report is getting worse unfortunately, hopefully the rain and thunderstorms are really scattered

I also just installed my G2X data logger and it will be a hoot to map the Grand East
    Fatih

Quote Originally Posted by e30m3sm View Post
    Yes, top down but please be aware that VIR will impose the broom stick test on your roll bar. Simply stated to top of your helmeted head needs to be 2" BELOW the height of the bar. Also, you may have instructors who don't want to ride in a convertible, at least w/o arm restraints.

(In the event of a rollover, arms can and often do flail about and are subject to being crushed by the bar and the ground.) A factory fiberglass hardtop in conjunction with a good roll bar is the safer way. A full on cage with hardtop and proper 5/6 pt harness is safer still. If you are not sure about passing the broomstick test then bring your bimmer down.

I did the broomstick test already, when I remove the padding in the seats (Corbeau Forza, both sides) it was OK. I have 5 point belts both sides, so hopefully instructors will be OK with that. I hope they have the microphone/speaker device, even in my 335 I couldn't have heard my instructor last time without it, I imagine that would be the case for sure in a Miata.

I only have the soft-top, so the hardtop is not an option at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by FT View Post
    The weather report is getting worse unfortunately, hopefully the rain and thunderstorms are really scattered
    Scattered as in Danville and not Milton?
    Last edited by 1996 328ti; 06-09-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Blank View Post
    I did the broomstick test already, when I remove the padding in the seats (Corbeau Forza, both sides) it was OK. I have 5 point belts both sides, so hopefully instructors will be OK with that. I hope they have the microphone/speaker device, even in my 335 I couldn't have heard my instructor last time without it, I imagine that would be the case for sure in a Miata.

I only have the soft-top, so the hardtop is not an option at this time.
    I am glad you are OK on the broomstick test.
    Instructors are required to have an in-helmet communicators so you should be able to hear all the spoken instruction..
    1990 E30 M3 (white)
    2003 E46 M3 (white)
    1991 spec miata (blue)

Thread Information