Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
transmission question

Thread: transmission question

Hybrid View

transmission question

not sure this is the place to post this thread...

My syncros have gone out for 2nd gear completly and i have asked BMW of Fairfax how much it all is in parts at there cost without the Bcca membership (that i still havent gotten yet cuz of the lack of $$$ on my part) and it looks to be not too bad of price. well here is the big question at hand, do i spend the money to get the parts to just turn around and go to some other place to have them installed since BMW of Fairfax wont touch it because they dont do that kind of work or do i just look into a tranny replacement instead? and if i go that route what kind of costs am i looking at??

one reason i am in my own mind leaning tword replaceing the entire tranny with either a used or new one is also because the car has over 200K of milage and i have no real way of knowing if the tranny was ever replaced in the past as well.

so any input or advice would be a huge help on this subject.

thanks in advance
    Eddie R.

At that mileage, the best idea would be to get a nice lower mileage trans from a part car. If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find sub 100k trans for $800 or less.

right on thanks.

You might want to try an transmission fluid change. This might silence the synchros. Use Redline RTMTL or RLD4ATF depending what the sticker on your transmission states. Some manual transmission M3s (my '95 included) call for automatic transmission fluid. Redline fluids are $9.95 per quart (the job takes 1.3 quarts). I have been able to purchase these fluids at Advance Auto Parts, as well as online from www.bavauto.com.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post
    You might want to try an transmission fluid change. This might silence the synchros. Use Redline RTMTL or RLD4ATF depending what the sticker on your transmission states. Some manual transmission M3s (my '95 included) call for automatic transmission fluid. Redline fluids are $9.95 per quart (the job takes 1.3 quarts). I have been able to purchase these fluids at Advance Auto Parts, as well as online from www.bavauto.com.
    once i replace the syncros i will but trust me when i say they are completely gone on 2nd gear.

Quote Originally Posted by ///MARINE View Post
    **** no, don't use Redline. Redline has enhanced and/or caused synchro issues in every single car I've used it in.

Use Royal Purple if you have to try something aftermarket, otherwise use BMW MTF-LT2. It's a kick ass fluid (unlike the previous OEM ones).
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

[QUOTE=Nick325xiT 5spd;30410]**** no, don't use Redline. Redline has enhanced and/or caused synchro issues in every single car I've used it in.

Nick325xiT,

I don't claim to be an expert, but please explain how many and what kind of BMWs you had these synchro issues in? I don't doubt your claim, nor am I here to defend the honor of a company I don't have a stake in. What I do know, is that I have driven the 5 BMWs currently in my driveway hundreds of thousands of miles with Redline in the transmisions and the differentials. Absolutely none of them have had a problem. If I am endangering my vehicles, I would really like to know how. Again, this is just my personal experience with the product.

In my experience, the ZF 5 and the Getrag 6 are awful with Redline. It's either caused or worsened 2nd gear grinding/crunching issues in these transmissions for me. Generally, Redline fluids feel great for a period of 1-4 weeks and then go to shit.

Additionally, Redline fluids are TERRIBLE in the cold. I've used MTL, MT-90, and D4-ATF and they all exhibit the same characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    In my experience, the ZF 5 and the Getrag 6 are awful with Redline. It's either caused or worsened 2nd gear grinding/crunching issues in these transmissions for me. Generally, Redline fluids feel great for a period of 1-4 weeks and then go to shit.

Additionally, Redline fluids are TERRIBLE in the cold. I've used MTL, MT-90, and D4-ATF and they all exhibit the same characteristics.
    It is not exactly tropical here in Southern Maryland either, but I've had none of the problems you describe in any of my cars. I do take it easy on the transmissions in the winter while they are warming up. I consider that standard procedure. I guess it is like everything else: "Results may vary."

car-part.com. I just recently picked up a 100k mile ZF trans for $200. From the LKQ in Frederick. This one came from an E46 328, so it probably wasn't abused too badly, either.

Thread Information