Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Window tinting didn't go so well...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Window tinting didn't go so well...

Angry Window tinting didn't go so well...

I trucked out to Driven Dynamics in Rockville a few weeks ago and got my windows tinted. The tech had me inspect my car in bright sunlight so I neglected to notice that the passenger's side rear window had three bubbles, and the tint film stopped just shy of the window frame. I e-mailed Art (one of the owners) and have yet to get a response. Will call them tomorrow.

No doubt they will take care of my issues, but the fact that I have to drive from Crofton to Rockville yet again doesn't thrill me. Driving on the beltway is a scary scene these days and I had to wait 1.5 hours the first trip to get the tinting applied. Now I'll probably have to spend another 1/2 day taking care of something that should have been done right the first time. After all this isn't rocket science...or is it?
    09 328i, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Comfort Access
    09 535xi, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Sirius/XM

I have only used one shop for tinting. Unfortunately, they are in NC. Lifetime warranty, they'll do whatever %'s you want, 3M tint. I'm totally happy with all three cars I've had done. In fact, I might have to drive down there and get my other two cars done...
    V '87 535is (FE2O3): (sigh)
    V '86 325e (GRN HLL): 6 quarts of oil in the Patuxent River
    ^ '04 x3 3.0i : Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
    V '76 Austin Mini
    Check out my blog! www.335bmws.blogspot.com

I've had two cars done at LA tint in Manassas and I'm happy with both jobs. Sometimes they have coupons on their website for $20 bucks off.

Question

You "neglected to notice", why are you crying about going back?

I have always used Performance Window Tinting in Columbia, MD.

6470 Dobbin Center Way
    Columbia, MD 21045

1-866-827-8468

http://www.performancewindowtinting.com/
    Last edited by slick230; 06-04-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Added URL

I've always used D&L Tinting. 3M film every time.

Quote Originally Posted by slick230 View Post
    I have always used Performance Window Tinting in Columbia, MD.

6470 Dobbin Center Way
    Columbia, MD 21045

1-866-827-8468

http://www.performancewindowtinting.com/
    I assume you are happy with their work since you posted their info. I askbecause I have my tint done in Glen Burnie MD and it is the worst tint job I have ever had. When I lived northeast of Baltimore, I always used D&L and loved their work.

My current tint job was computer cut, but that means it runs up on the dot matrix around the edges, and it just doesn't stick there. I would rather have a slight untinted gap like I have seen on some other Bimmers, but these guys claim that they can't do that. They trust the computer 100%, and as such, IMHO their work stinks. So bad so, I am thinking of paying to have that tint removed, and have it completely retinted by a reliable shop. I'm not even sure I want to give their name, but they are right on Ritchie Highway, very near the Bank of America. Oh yeah, I have been back about bubbles and such. All they do is make excuses and a half-hearted effort.

its not rocket science but it is difficult enough to get right. bubbles dont have to show up right away so if you missed it at first its not your fault... are they dirt bubbles or air? computer cut is for sissies.why even do it if you are goin' to have a border of light!? mystery to me! if you need a contact lemme know. 3M is not always 3M film. besides that does not mean its 'good stuff'. theres very little control so dont be mislead.

Quote Originally Posted by J0kER View Post
    its not rocket science but it is difficult enough to get right. bubbles dont have to show up right away so if you missed it at first its not your fault... are they dirt bubbles or air? computer cut is for sissies.why even do it if you are goin' to have a border of light!? mystery to me! if you need a contact lemme know. 3M is not always 3M film. besides that does not mean its 'good stuff'. theres very little control so dont be mislead.
    Funny you say that about the computer cuts. I've always brought up to D&L how the matrix bubbles are a problem for me. For my other car I've even had them re-cut it so that the dots aren't touched. It works fine and there is no border of light that bothers me.

Why can't this be done right? I've seen many BMWs that have tint with no issues with the dot matrix borders.

its not rocket science on how to eliminate a bad tint b/c of the dot matrix. there is NO way to successfully tint OVER the dots. you need to tint UP TO the dots and put a black vinyl overlay to cover the dots. although it took a few tries to get mine right, Driven Dynamics in Rockville finally did a good job.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

After reading all the posts on this topic it appears that getting a great tint job the first time is never a guarantee. I've already made an appointment with Driven Dynamics next weekend to have them retint my rear passenger window. It doesn't matter that much to me that the tint doesn't extend into the dot matrix, but it DOES matter that I can see where they didn't tint to the window trim next to the door post. It bugs me even more that I have to drive all the way back there and they won't take any money off the price I paid. We are not going to use them for tinting our new 535xi, but will probably go to Performance Window Tinting in Columbia and cross our fingers they get it right.

It isn't rocket science, especially when the other three windows were done correctly. I think it's just laziness and lack of pride in what these guys do for a living.
    Last edited by Swooz; 06-11-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typo
    09 328i, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Comfort Access
    09 535xi, Nav, Cold Weather & Prem., Sirius/XM

Quote Originally Posted by J0kER View Post
    I think they are dirt bubbles because they are tiny. They asked me if the car had ever reen in an accident and had welding work done on the inside because they thought it was welding arc piting. First time I ever heard that one. If you saw my car, it is either unlikely that there was welding work to damaged bodywork, or they did the best job EVER. My general opinion is that whoever at that shop did my tint, was just plain lazy. You would think that having a job on a Bimmer would have them wanting to do their best showoff work. I mean, they sure didn't hesitate to slap their sticker on the bottom of the rear window. I leave it there so that people can see who did the crappy work for themselves. Like I said, I am about ready to just pay a different shop to remove the current tint and do it over again. I think I will take it in and just ask, "Can you do a better job than this? If not, don't waste my time.". Anyone who is at Pubdawg tonight can see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by pseto View Post
    its not rocket science on how to eliminate a bad tint b/c of the dot matrix. there is NO way to successfully tint OVER the dots. you need to tint UP TO the dots and put a black vinyl overlay to cover the dots.

Really? I never heard of that before.
    When I had mine done at LA Tint in Manassas they put it over the dots and I pressed it down really well with my finger while it was still wet. It's not perfect, but looks acceptable. The tint really does make a difference. The car sits all day in the VRE parking lot. I just added one of those silver sunscreens and the car stays reasonably cooler throughout the day.
    2004 325xi
    1990 Porsche 944 S2 - Track Car
    1983 Porsche 911 Targa
    1980 BMW R65

Quote Originally Posted by Swooz View Post
    After reading all the posts on this topic it appears that getting a great tint job the first time is never a guarantee. I've already made an appointment with Driven Dynamics next weekend to have them retint my rear passenger window. It doesn't matter that much to me that the tint doesn't extend into the dot matrix, but it DOES matter that I can see where they didn't tint to the window trim next to the door post. It bugs me even more that I have to drive all the way back there and they won't take any money off the price I paid. We are not going to use them for tinting our new 535xi, but will probably go to Performance Window Tinting in Columbia and cross our fingers they get it right.

It isn't rocket science, especially when the other three windows were done correctly. I think it's just laziness and lack of pride in what these guys do for a living.
    I just had my windows done at performance in Columbia. I went with the carbon tint and will post pics when the film drys out. They did cover the dot matrix on the driver and passenger side windows and they look fine so far. The dot matrix around the rear window so far appear to be more noticeable and may change when they dry out.

They do use machine cut film.

Quote Originally Posted by slick230 View Post
    I just had my windows done at performance in Columbia. I went with the carbon tint and will post pics when the film drys out. They did cover the dot matrix on the driver and passenger side windows and they look fine so far. The dot matrix around the rear window so far appear to be more noticeable and may change when they dry out.

They do use machine cut film.
    As promised...

http://gallery.nccbmwcca.org/showgal...hp?ppuser=3305

Thread Information