Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Regular maintenanceand harsh sound

Thread: Regular maintenanceand harsh sound

Regular maintenanceand harsh sound

Hey All:
    I have 2005 325i (e46) with 54k on it.
    I am planning to do a regular oil and filter change in the next DIY also need input on what other fluids I have to replace or change (brake, coolant, transmission etc). I see a small shiver in the car when I turn the AC on will that need any maintenance or inspection.
    More important than the changes these days my engine is a bit harsh with more sound when accelerating, what can be the possible problem, please suggest.

Thank You,
    Krishna Balam

If this is your first DIY, a very realistic list is:

Oil and oil filter
    Transmission fluid (for a manual transmission)
    Differential fluid
    Fuel Filter
    General underside inspection (suspension bushings, tie rods, brake lines, etc)

These are simple and compatible things to work on, can all be done in about an hour, and will give you a good introduction to doing your own work. Unless you have actually done these things before on a BMW, it's probably best to leave the cooling system or brakes for another day. (Martin is a smallish garage, and we'll only have four lifts to play with.) A good project for your next DIY could be the cooling system:

Drain coolant
    Replace thermostat
    Replace water pump (if necessary)
    Replace radiator hoses
    Refill coolant

A bit of vibration when the A/C is turned on is not necessarily a sign of trouble. The load is increased on the engine when the A/C is on, because it is driving the A/C compressor. So the engine will usually sound and feel like it is working harder, even when the car is standing still (this is why the A/C decreases your gas mileage). But it certainly won't hurt to take a look at it when the car's on the lift.

Not sure what to tell you about the engine sounding harsh on acceleration- it could be a number of things, and is easiest to diagnose by actually hearing/experiencing it. But a good thing to check related to it at the DIY might be your exhaust system. Make sure the exhaust line from the engine to the tailpipe is in good shape- no leaks or loose elements.
    Last edited by MPWR; 05-29-2009 at 02:30 PM.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3
    1997 Alaskablau 318ti M Sport

That was nice informative reply, Thank you very much.
    This will be my first DIY working under the engine, replace control arms couple of months ago.

Also please give me the details on quantities of the fluids to be bought and a suggested place if you have one.

I really appreciate your help.

-KC

Get over to http://forum.e46fanatics.com/ and look through the various topics in the DIY forum, or perform a search there. You'll find the fluid capacities there, or in the owner's manual in your glove box.
    Usually you'll be able to buy parts and fluids at the shop hosting the DIY - check with them. If they allow you to bring your own parts, check with your local dealers offering club discounts.
    John in VA
    NCC concours program

'74 2002tii
    '85 535i
    '86 535i
    '03 530i
    '06 330ci ZHP
    '15 228i M Sport

If this is your first DIY and you'd like some assistance, I'd be happy to help you. Caroline will be doing the cooling system on her new 318ti, but she's happy to manage it herself. I'm really just coming along to assist/interfere/observe, so I'll be free to help other people. You of course get to do all the work yourself, but these things are easier (and you will learn more) with a bit of guidance.

I strongly recommend that you either bring your supplies (oil, filters, etc) yourself to a DIY, or arrange with the shop ahead of time to have what you will need there for you. It's extremely frustrating to get your car up on the lift only to discover that someone else just grabbed the last filter in your size or the shop is out of the oil you need (it's even worse when you've already drained the oil, and you're ready to put things back together). Gary Martin is an extremely helpful guy- I'm sure if you called or emailed him ahead of time and told him what you were planning to do, he'll be happy to recommend the quantities and varieties of fluids you will need, and have them waiting for you there on saturday.

All of my shop guides are for the E36. I expect that most fluid capacities for the E46 are close, but I can't really be sure. E46fanatics (or other forums) should tell you, or you can ask Martin. But if you need to order parts/fluids, it's best to do that a week or so in advance. You could also pick up parts/fluids at your nearest BMW dealer parts counter- but be sure to ask for the CCA discount if you do.

Did you do the control arms yourself, or have someone else do them?
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3

Thank you for nice advices here, I will look into e46 fanatics and Yes I did control arms myself at a DIY in convenience car care. I will post more details..

If you managed control arms yourself, you should have no trouble at all with fluids and filters. We did the control arms on the ti monday morning. Seems like that could be an ambitious little project for a first time DIY.
    Andy Miller
    1995 Avusblau M3

Thread Information