Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) NCC Autocross - June 13 @ MD State Police Training Center, Sykesville, MD - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: (2009) NCC Autocross - June 13 @ MD State Police Training Center, Sykesville, MD

I know it's only Monday but, any pictures from Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    You shouldn't go above 38 psi hot. If you're still having problems, you're probably over driving the car. Adding even more air than that just makes the problem worse.
    Going above 38 psi is not necessarily a bad thing.

It depends on the car and tires, but if the tires feel like they are rolling over, you are pushing too much, over-driving, or doing something wrong. BACK OFF. Adding more air helps, and may make the difference, but it mostly boils down to your driving style. In a FWD car the front tires have to do all the work, acceleration, braking and turning. If you try to do too much at once, they can't take it. Do one thing at a time and the tires will have more grip. When I used to run my VW's autocrossing, Mark 1 and Mark 2's, I remember running 45-50 lbs. or higher in the front tires, COLD. It's not going to hurt them. In fact, running too little WILL hurt them, but over-driving will hurt them for sure, plain and simple. If they lack grip, adjust your driving accordingly. Or get some stickier tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ea-sport View Post
    Tonight at the absolute earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by forrealb50 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you think a larger diameter wheel and lower profile tire would help the problem? Right now I'm running the 16" rims and I think 205x45x16 tires so there's definitely room for improvement.

I really need to get this problem taken care of ASAP. I would plow into every turn and fight to get the front end pointed in the right direction.
    WHY would you plow into every turn? Carrying too much speed and turning the wheel hard sharply while braking or accelerating is too much for most tires to handle. Physics.

That course was very technical, with most of the turns being very tight and slow. Remember, SLOW IN, FAST OUT. Even in a FWD VW with 195's... it can be done. Changing tires or air pressures might improve the situation, or you may get the same results. But changing how you drive the turns will make the biggest difference.

Quote Originally Posted by forrealb50 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Do you think a larger diameter wheel and lower profile tire would help the problem? Right now I'm running the 16" rims and I think 205x45x16 tires so there's definitely room for improvement.

I really need to get this problem taken care of ASAP. I would plow into every turn and fight to get the front end pointed in the right direction.
    I highly doubt your tires are 205/45/16. They're probably 205/55/16. If you wanted to stay on the same wheels, there are much better options in the 225/50/16 size which is what I run.

I'd focus on driving a bit smoother. Try your pressures at 40f/40r to start and adjust from there.

Class change

Hey Jonathan,

Not a huge deal but my results are in wrong class. Dave Denbow white M3 should be T2 ... not M2. Havent got that turbo .. yet!?!

Had a blast though.

For anyone else,
    Im looking to get another set of wheels for AutoX and wondering for recommendations for tires. Not looking to get COMP tires but something a hell of lot better than those crappy falkens I have right now. I was all over the place without putting the foot down far at all. Anyone used the Dunlop Direzza SPECs? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Look fwd to pics too!

Dbow
    Last edited by denbownium; 06-15-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    DENBOWNIUM - 1997 ///M3
    Mods Include: AA Gen3 Exhaust, AA 3" CAIS, AA EPROM, Bilstein Sport Suspension with H&R Sport Springs, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, FAN Delete, Euro Ellipsoid Lights w/Angel Eyes, Clear Corners and Markers

Mods Coming: 3.5" CAI & 3.5"HFM from EHP(Sharked), 3.5"TB (Dinan), Exhaust Headers(AA), UUC Lightweight Flywheel, UUC Clutch, UUC Gen3 ShortShifter

Quote Originally Posted by denbownium View Post
    Hey Jonathan,

Not a huge deal but my results are in wrong class. Dave Denbow white M3 should be T2 ... not M2. Havent got that turbo .. yet!?!

Had a blast though.

For anyone else,
    Im looking to get another set of wheels for AutoX and wondering for recommendations for tires. Not looking to get COMP tires but something a hell of lot better than those crappy falkens I have right now. I was all over the place without putting the foot down far at all. Anyone used the Dunlop Direzza SPECs? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Look fwd to pics too!

Dbow
    The Dunlops are an excellent tire choice. I'd also recommend looking into the D-Force LTW wheels. It'll be tough to beat them for a well priced, light weight, and strong wheel.
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/d-fo...es-e364690.htm

The APEX ARC-8 is another inexpensive, lightweight wheel. It's new on the market, so I don't know how well they hold up.
    http://apexwheels.blogspot.com/

17x9 is a great fit for the E36.
    T2

You do 17X9 all around? Not staggered?
    DENBOWNIUM - 1997 ///M3
    Mods Include: AA Gen3 Exhaust, AA 3" CAIS, AA EPROM, Bilstein Sport Suspension with H&R Sport Springs, TMS Underdrive Pulleys, FAN Delete, Euro Ellipsoid Lights w/Angel Eyes, Clear Corners and Markers

Mods Coming: 3.5" CAI & 3.5"HFM from EHP(Sharked), 3.5"TB (Dinan), Exhaust Headers(AA), UUC Lightweight Flywheel, UUC Clutch, UUC Gen3 ShortShifter

You do 17X9 all around? Not staggered?
    Yep, same size wheel and tire on all four corners.
    T2

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I was leaving you in M4 so that you can use the event to qualify for year end awards

There's no rule against upclassing. I can move you back to T4 if you'd like ...
    That works. Thanks!

There's some talk here about different tires, pressures etc. Remember at this level it's probably 80% driver, and most of us have a long way to go before we are good enough to start looking too much into the other 20%, the car. My suggestion is to get a decent setup and leave it stable. Too many variables makes it harder to learn how to drive consistently and to improve your driving. You'll get more results from improving your driving. I believe most instructors will agree with me on that.
    Last edited by Scany; 06-15-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ea-sport View Post
    Yeah...as Jonathan said tonight at the earliest. I took 1500+ pics and it takes time to watermark and sort through them. They're looking pretty good though - not enough blur but still decent.

~Katie

Anyone used the Dunlop Direzza SPECs? Any suggestions?
    I use 245/40 star specs ($160-ish at TR) on TR Motorsport MT-1R 17X9 wheels on a 95 M3, and I believe the T2-winning Z3 was running them as well. I don't have much to compare them to since I'm still pretty new to this, but I have nothing bad to say. I'd say that they're definitely holding up their end of the bargain in autocross and track days so far.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Scany View Post
    That works. Thanks!

There's some talk here about different tires, pressures etc. Remember at this level it's probably 80% driver, and most of us have a long way to go before we are good enough to start looking too much into the other 20%, the car. My suggestion is to get a decent setup and leave it stable. Too many variables makes it harder to learn how to drive consistently and to improve your driving. You'll get more results from improving your driving. I believe most instructors will agree with me on that.
    Oh I hear you on the driver vs. car. And I plan on attending as much as I can to get the experience built up and learn as much as I can!

But I do want to get a set of stickier tires though as my falken FKs are slippery even in standard driving conditions. Just put these on and compared to the Bridgestones I had before they arent even close ... almost scary. Went on a receommendation from other bimmer owners who went cheap on rubber. Maybe matched with my suspension setup they just dont get the traction I am used to.

But autocross .. as someone said ... prbably will become an affliction! So looking to get a good setup to start with and band away at my driving skillz from there! Thanks for the info!

-Dbow

I'm running 225/50R16 Dunlop Z1 Star Specs and I've been very happy with them. I had them shaved to 5/32nds and they've held up really well over a good number of races. I routinely datalog 1.15g's on them.
    Paul P.
    <del>1996 318ti M-tech</del> - Messing around in FSP until the CP Camaro is done.

Help Stop Lung Cancer
    Maryland's Premier Autocross Team

Thanks for the info guys! Dunlop Star Specs it is.

Now just gotta get another set of wheels to put em on. That'll be the fun part ... the kinda shoppin that dude's like!

-Dbow
    DENBOWNIUM - 1997 ///M3

Thread Information