Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Which Car?

Thread: (2009) Which Car?

(2009) Which Car?

I am fortunate to have a choice two (old) cars to bring/take to the Autocross, and I have to decide which.

One is small but is fairly softly sprung, and does not have a limited slip. It does not like 180 degree sharp turns; it just spins the inside wheel.

The other is much bigger with more power, and does have a limited slip.

So which car do the autocrosses in Sykesville favor? Are they first and second gear, very twisty, courses, or are they more open and allow the use of higher gears?

Thanks very much for your input!

PS. I did not see my name on the entrant spreadsheet, but I believe it has been added to since I sent in the registration. Right? :-)

What are the choices?

Jim,

We can assist you better if you tell us the year, make and model of each car.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

I picture an '80 320i and a '67 Ford 427 LTD.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Choose the car which is more nimble.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Arnett View Post
    ...first and second gear, very twisty, courses, or are they more open and allow the use of higher gears...
    Pretty much all auto-x (at least in this region) falls into the first bucket. That said, I haven't been to one at MSPTC yet so I cannot speak from direct experience there.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Pretty much all auto-x (at least in this region) falls into the first bucket. That said, I haven't been to one at MSPTC yet so I cannot speak from direct experience there.
    There's a line between autocross and time trials. We need to make sure that we are autocrossing ...

That being said, MSP is a smaller lot, so third and above will not be necessary.

Which Car

The choices are a 300ZX TT or a 62 Mini Cooper. Neither is stock, but the Mini's suspension is soft (for a Mini) so it spins the inside tire on hard corners.
    Thanks for the input folks.

i personally woudl go with the 300zx TT, but the mini's run damn good times at autox's

It would be pretty cool to see a 62 Mini out there.

That 300 TT sounds like fun tho... Not too bad of a choice to have.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Either way I go with this, there will be a classic Mini there.

My pal Don will be there with his ex-race '74.

Thats easy, put the 300z drivetrain in the Mini!

Man, wish I could bring our mini out. "76" Austin Mini, auto, RHD, BRG.
    V '87 535is (FE2O3): (sigh)
    V '86 325e (GRN HLL): 6 quarts of oil in the Patuxent River
    ^ '04 x3 3.0i : Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
    V '76 Austin Mini
    Check out my blog! www.335bmws.blogspot.com

I would take the 300ZX TT.
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    It would be pretty cool to see a 62 Mini out there.
    At the PM session there was a really old Mini. Coulda been around 60's

Thread Information