Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
EMERGENCY HELP - Richmond VA

Thread: EMERGENCY HELP - Richmond VA

Exclamation EMERGENCY HELP - Richmond VA

Time is 5:40 PM on Saturday ----

Members in 1999 540Ci need mechanic help.

Cell is 443.974.2964

Need to know where CAM SENSOR fits.

Can Someone call them

posted by Sponge Bob
    Bob Stern
    MD BMW CLUB TAG # BMW 0868

Senior Moment - 2003 330Ci (gone)
    Blue Tang O - 2013 135i (now in her bed)

V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

Thumbs up Thanks

Called them. They are in a motel. Gave them the info to our site and your link.

I'll let you know......
    Bob Stern

Smile 8:11 PM Update

They (Mike Pate) have the link and photos. Will do it tomorrow AM and then head home.

Thanks. Mr. Pres.
    Bob Stern

Cool

No problemo, glad I could help!
    V/R Zachary Pullins Sr.
    Florida Suncoast Chapter BMWCCA
    2006 E90 325Xi & 1999 E39 540i M-Sport
    " Vision without resources is just hallucination"

This is what NCC is all about!!!!!!!

Thanks for helping us get home

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Robert;

Its been a week since my son (Jameson) and I arrived home from North Carolina with my son's car. Jameson purchased a beautiful '98 540i from an attorney in Winston-Salem who (for years) took the car to Flow BMW every time he felt the Bimmer's feelings were hurt. Consequently most all of the usual e39 quirks were taken care of prior to our taking possession. Lower control arms, water pump, radiator, overflow bottle, Cam Sensor (several), thermostat (several), valve cover gaskets, intake manifold, valley pan gaskets and sun roof guides top the list of replaced items among other things. So....with some confidence, we headed home in a car that drove like new, until we were 20 miles south of Richmond. It could have been worse, but for the help and assistance of BMW club members and a resolute determination to find our way home. Upon hobbling into the first available autoparts store, Saturday at 2:30, we bought the only (and most expensive in town) CanOBDII code reader on the store rack. With MAF, cyl-7 misfire and "multiple" (or a similar reference) misfire codes, I first went for the most upstream device on the suspect list; the MAF. Only the dealer had one in stock, and they were a painfully shaky ride up the highway in Richmond. After installing the gold-plated, highwayman special, dealer item MAF, two things happened; 1) the MAF code evaporated, and 2) the shaking and misfire codes persisted. Focusing now on the "multiple" misfire code, I bought the Cam Sensor as a possible common denominator. We have not installed it yet, as the sensor physical profile didn't exactly resemble that which is in the car. Further, the pictorial that you had provided supports that the cam position sensor that I have from the dealer is likely incorrect (possibly a crank position sensor?). This information saved us some unnecessary aggravation. Using forums, and advise from members, we figured out the access to the coil packs/spark plugs, and isolated the most egregious misfiring to the #7 coil pack. A last-minute-til-closing-purchase-on-Sunday of a coil pack resolved the physical misfire manifestations and the car seemed at peace again, so we ventured on home. No codes are showing, so it looks like we can plan preventive maintenance at this point, rather than necessary repairs. Thanks ever so much for taking the time. Help and advise from owners and members saved us a (possible) 2 day delay getting home plus a considerable expense at the hands of an unknown dealer quantity. My son and I are members of the national and regional club and are looking forward to events and get-togethers.

Kind Regards;

Mike
    Bob Stern

Thumbs up Membership has it's privileges, 101:

This is a great story and proof positive that a membership in BMWCCA and especially our largest chapter (National Capital Chapter) is time and money well spent! Bravo Bob and Zach for your lightning quick response in getting some stranded members unstuck!
    Last edited by ///MARINE; 05-11-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: New York Educational System
    Brooklyn Taylor - Member # 354954
    Chief Marketing Officer at NCCBMWCCA
    Garage: M3, M5, M6, 635CSi/5 & 850I/6

Thread Information