Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Grand-Am / Koni Challenge weekend in NJ

Thread: Grand-Am / Koni Challenge weekend in NJ

Grand-Am / Koni Challenge weekend in NJ

The Rolex Grand-Am series will headline the weekend on the Thunderbolt track at New Jersey Motorsports Park. At just about 2 1/2 hours from DC, this is a great opportunity to see some professional sports car races in a variety of classes. The Grand-Am race will feature Daytona Prototypes and the GT class cars. The current entry list does not show the two BMW-powered DPs that finished 4th and 9th last weekend at VIR.

The Koni Challenge series for production-based cars has 19 Grand-Sport entries including 10 M3s, 7 Mustang GTs and 2 Porsche 997s. The Street Tuner class has 26 entries including four E46 330s, two E90 328s, and one Z4. Ted Giovanis (highland, MD) /Mike Halpin will be in one of the 330s, and Barry Battle (Dulles) / Michael Dayton (Culpepper) will be piloting the new 328i built and entered by RRT.

In a rare appearance on the same card as the rival Koni Challenge will be the Speed World Challenge series with races for both the GT and Touring Car classes. Several BMWs including 3 Bimmerworld E90 325s will be in the Touring race.

The Mustang Challenge is for identical Mustang GTs.

Practice for all classes starts early Friday morning, and will continue on Saturday. The qualifying and race schedule is:
    Friday
    Qual - Koni ST 4:15
    Qual - Koni GS 4:40
    Qual - WC Touring 5:55
    Qual - WC GT 6:15

Saturday
    Qual - Mustang Challenge 8:00 am
    Race - WC Touring 10:30
    Race - WC GT 12:30
    Qual - G-A Daytona Prototypes 1:45
    Qual - G-A GT 2:10
    Race - Koni Challenge (both classes) 3:10 (2 1/2 hr race)

Sunday
    Race - Mustang Challenge 10:30 am
    Race - Rolex Grand-Am 1:00 (2 3/4 hr race)

If any of you saw the Grand-Am weekend last August, you should know there have been many improvements to the spectating. More shuttle buses, grass in place of dust, and five grandstands.
    And if Mother's Day, local autocrosses, or the Deutsche Marque Concours d'Elegance keep you from going, the Rolex race is televised live by Speed at 1 pm.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Look for me in the crowd!

I'm leaving downtown Baltimore at 8am on Sunday after autocrossing Saturday. I'm really hoping the BMW DP cars will be there. I can't imagine they'd bail on one of the biggest spectator events on the G-A schedule after each having successful performances last week. Also, the Rolex entry list hadn't been updated since Apr 21 (before the VIR) race last I checked. I would have gone for the whole weekend, but I didn't want to miss the NCC autocross.

Hopefully, all of the Koni and WC cars/people will stick around on Sunday to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
    Look for me in the crowd!

Hopefully, all of the Koni and WC cars/people will stick around on Sunday to chat.
    Two of the Koni drivers, Derek Whitis and Tom Long (MX-5), will be flying out to Ohio Saturday night to meet up with their One Lap of America entry (Nissan GT-R).
    Woody

This is the album of photos I took... I'm still using an archaic digicam, so please forgive the quality.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3095102...57617682074550

Woody

Thread Information