Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Help with crank rotation during head gasket install

Thread: Help with crank rotation during head gasket install

Help with crank rotation during head gasket install

I need a little help. I'm in the process of changing my head gasket on an M54. The Bentley manual says to rotate the crank via balancer clockwise the achieve TDC. DO NOT rotate counter clockwise.

Pretty explicit.

Now here's the stupid question (yeah I know there are no stupid questions...)

Is it meant that looking at the engine from the front of the car clockwise should be determined, or as you would be sitting in the car facing the other direction clockwise should be determined?

I ask this due to the left & right nature of the car is set by sitting inside. I'm just not sure. Maybe over thinking it a bit too.
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

I am with you I can never figure out the right left thing! and unfortunately I do not know the answer,

but here is how I would think about the answer. figure out the name attached to the way the engine normal turns when it is running, (for example Clockwise) then look at the timing marks, and hopefully they will have a tdc and something like 5 degrees BTDC (before TDC) then from BTDC to TDC is clockwise

it seems (operative word) that you should be able to turn it the regular direction with no issues. but that is just a seems like right answer

Steve

Thanks for you support. Let's me know I'm not a complete nut job
    Supercharged '03 530
    Thinking about tracking down an e28 535is

Thread Information