Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Problem with Battery/Alternator confused....

Thread: Problem with Battery/Alternator confused....

Problem with Battery/Alternator confused....

Hello All:
    I feel really paralyzed with the position I am in right now.
    I have 325i 2005 with 53k on it.
    I changed my battery recently with an Autozone battery as I was not able to start my car for 2 days in a row in morning.
    The autozone battery ran well for 6 days but the small pipe which was connected to the original battery was crushed as the autozone battery was big, I got the battery indicator in the panel and then my car broke down on the highway, I got it towed to my cousin's place in DumFries.
    I took the battery to Autozone and they said that Alternator was bad, I have a strong feeling that this Autozone battery ruined my Altrernator, any way I returned the battery and bought a new one from BMW, this one doesnt have the facility to connect the pipe which was there, all these time the car is just sitting there I am scared to use it.
    I contacted some people to buy the alternator but they say they need the Amp value which I can't get, I am very new to working on car and couldnt identify anything possibly not even the alternator on my car.
    PLease answer my questions and suggest me something.

Do I need to change the Alternator?
    How do I know it is the problem do I have to run on new battery again?
    If I have to replace Alternator how can I buy the right one?
    Or is there any other problem?
    PLease help I cannot live without my car.

Thank you,
    Krishna Balam

OK.

1) The autozone battery did not do anything to your alternator. Period. I thought we went over this already?
    2) Where have you been trying to buy an alternator from?
    3) You need to take the car some place and have a mechanic look it over. There is a point at which DIY is neither practical, helpful, nor cost effective. I think we've reached it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Do I need to drive it or tow it?

You won't damage anything by attempting to drive the car. When you run the battery down, the car will cut out. You should be able to go 10 miles or so. Just turn everything unecessary off (a/c, stereo, etc.).

Worst case scenario, if you don't make it, you can call for a tow then. If you have access to a battery charger, making sure the battery is fully charged before you go will maximize the chances of making it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Found a nice guy very near to my car and dropped it at his service center today.

Thread Information