Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
Can anyone suggest a good front control arm?

Thread: Can anyone suggest a good front control arm?

Can anyone suggest a good front control arm?

I had replaced my front control arms a little over a year ago and decided to go with OEM parts. This time around I'm thinking I need something more durable. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

I drive a 99 328is on the street and autox it so it is a dual purpose vehicle. Thanks in advance.

-- Adam

EDIT: To clarify, I want to know if anyone has used a different compound bushing then OEM.
    Last edited by adam; 04-22-2009 at 12:14 PM.

So you're talking about front control arm BUSHINGS, not control arms? For bushings, Bimmerworld sells solid rubber Motorsport bushings for $60. These are the best solution.

Stay with centered.

If you need control arms, I'd just buy a pair from them too. They're very cheap.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    So you're talking about front control arm BUSHINGS, not control arms? For bushings, Bimmerworld sells solid rubber Motorsport bushings for $60. These are the best solution.

Stay with centered.

If you need control arms, I'd just buy a pair from them too. They're very cheap.
    I only need the bushing, not the entire control arm. I realize my first post was a little imprecise. How do those bushings compare to the Delrin's that turner offers?

EDIT: oh and Nick, why not the offset ones? I'm running coilovers and camber plates so I don't necessarily need the extra camber/caster offered by the offset bushings (that's what I understand them to do when compared to centered ones)
    Last edited by adam; 04-22-2009 at 12:50 PM.

Dude, on your car just give up. You're still slow

I'm running the Delrins from TMS since last year, and they aren't noticeably louder, but I'm also not expecting them to last forever either.

OEM meaning who? There are lots of OEM, and some of them really suck.

I tend to agree with Nick that you should just buy the solid BMW bushings and install them since you do drive the car all the time. My old ones lasted 5+ years of autox abuse before I went with the delrin.

oh well look who it is! are you planning on showing up at all this year or am i going to get first place out of 1?

I had the OEM M3 bushings on there, so they did not suffer from that 'web' design. I thought they would last more than a year... but my caliper was seizing so that kinda made it wear more I'm guessing. I'm looking at the Delrin right now - is that too stiff for my daily driving use? I'm also looking at the PowerFlex urethanes from bimmerworld.

I'm betting the installation is what caused the problem. If you don't load them up properly by letting the suspension settle fully before they dry into place on the arm, the torsional loads will eat them up.

Delrin doesn't have the torsional issue, but it is harsher, and street use will eat them up since there's virtually no flex.

Stay away from the powerflex is all I've ever heard.

If you're insisting on doing something other than stock, also look at the Treehouse eyeball arms or the UUC CABs.

I might show up for a few events, but I've got too much going on right now to be able to commit to running 3 series.
    Last edited by hoyabmw; 04-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I only need the bushing, not the entire control arm. I realize my first post was a little imprecise. How do those bushings compare to the Delrin's that turner offers?

EDIT: oh and Nick, why not the offset ones? I'm running coilovers and camber plates so I don't necessarily need the extra camber/caster offered by the offset bushings (that's what I understand them to do when compared to centered ones)
    Because it throws the wheel forward. It a) looks like crap, b) can cause clearance issues, and c) did i mention that it looks terrible?

Because it throws the wheel forward. It a) looks like crap, b) can cause clearance issues, and c) did i mention that it looks terrible?
    a&c: Adams driving looks terrible, so the car might as well look the same

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    a&c: Adams driving looks terrible, so the car might as well look the same
    LOL

thx for the replies every1, I think I'll try the M ones again and hope they last longer

I have offset LCABs. Is that why I have a clearance problem with my brake duct hose? It's really cramped in there.
    ...steven
    BMW CCA #146825

318ti.org | bmwcca.org/forum

Quote Originally Posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    I have offset LCABs. Is that why I have a clearance problem with my brake duct hose? It's really cramped in there.
    It moves the wheel about an inch forward, so it certainly won't help.

Thread Information