Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(576) : eval()'d code on line 11

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php(441) : eval()'d code on line 2

Warning: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in ..../showthread.php(2406) : eval()'d code on line 27
(2009) Tire Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: (2009) Tire Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I've always been impressed with Toyo!
    I love Toyos as street driven tires. They all seem to be great in the rain no matter the model. I love the Proxes 4 as an everyday tire. I hate to generalize, but I think the streetish Toyos/Nittos are more geared toward Japanese and lighter cars (E30) as Nick seemed to infer. Their only exceptions would be their r-comp offerings, but I'd only use them for track events.

I'm currently on the Dunlops, but if I had to buy another set (which I may very well do) I'd like to try the Kumho XS or Bridgestone RE-11.

Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    I've always been impressed with Toyo!
    I've had several sets of Toyo street tires and liked them a lot. I have never once, however, been impressed with the level of ultimate grip offered. Mediocre at best is my view.

According to durometer readings (10 points softer than, say, R888s, with a big change in the reading over a short period of time), the Toyo R1R is an ultra, ultra soft compound without much structure to back it up. (I will not claim to be an authority on this, I'm just regurgitating here.)

The R1R is still a good choice for a lot of folks. But they come with their downsides.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD Duramax LBZ/Allison 6-speed
    2002 BMW M3 - Alpinweiss III/Black
    1999 323i KP/GTS2 - Alpinweiss III (Black Hood, other stuff)
    1990 325is - Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 325is - Alpinweiss II/Black (S50B32)
    1989 M3 - Alpinweiss II/Black (S62B50 in progress)

Thanks for making this easier for me. NOT.

Sounds like Dunlops (Z1 star spec) are still the darling tires if I can make them a dedicated set, and perhaps the Kumho XS if I'm going to be doing street / auto-x duty with them.

Tangentially, something about the tread pattern of those NT-05's makes me irrationally want them.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Tangentially
    thats too big of a word to include in this forum Reach lol ...i had to go look it up since its obviously not a part of my vocabulary.
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

Autoxers rarely deal with tangents.

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Thanks for making this easier for me. NOT.

Sounds like Dunlops (Z1 star spec) are still the darling tires if I can make them a dedicated set, and perhaps the Kumho XS if I'm going to be doing street / auto-x duty with them.

Tangentially, something about the tread pattern of those NT-05's makes me irrationally want them.
    No. I would not recommend the XS if you're concerned about street comfort.

Quite to the contrary, tangential best describes the line I took at the TSP when my ass started coming around my nose on the curve through the big circle.

Grammar aside, the lack of clear cut tire winners is what caused me to regretfully buy another set of PS2 last year. This year I hope to add grip, if I can ever make a decision. Thanks for the continued notes from Nick and biggins, I do rely (too much?) on reports from others on this topic.
    Mike R.
    2002 M3 - ultimate driving excuse
    formerly: 2005 Z4 3.0i

Quote Originally Posted by BradMW View Post
    Autoxers rarely deal with tangents.
    i tangent all the time
    Paul Seto - NCC Board Member & Social Chairman

2011 Mineral White M3 Coupe ZCP
    2000 Titanium Silver M Roadster
    2011 Space Gray 328ix Sedan

Check out our NCC Facebook Page

I drive on the Dunlops everyday March-October on the very rough streets of Baltimore City/County. They are not a comfortable tire on the street, but it's a compromise for the better performance. They are pretty good in the rain too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
    The RE01R was never well regarded (except as a nice compromise for comfort as well as price). It wasn't even close to the AD07.
    Nick, that may have been true for the BMW crowd, but the RE01R was definitely a front runner in ST on Minis.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyabmw View Post
    Nick, that may have been true for the BMW crowd, but the RE01R was definitely a front runner in ST on Minis.
    The complaint with the RE01R was similar to the complaint with the R1R - it flops around and can't really handle the weight. I'm not that surprised.

It looks like Brian Hair may be driving my car this weekend too, so I will a) actually show up, and b) might have a competent driver to compare notes with. I look forward to getting some data.
    Last edited by Nick325xiT 5spd; 04-20-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Nittto-Invo

Ok Nick, you sound like you've been around a tire or two. Let me clarify my statement before. When I was shopping for tires, I wanted a good balance of performance and comfort as this is a pleasure car. My car is not a race car and I don't want it to be, buying tires that are barely listed as street tires made about as much sense as putting a fart cannon (catback or version of) on. What's more, I need to keep this car in Showroom class to even compete in autox. The Nitto NT05 has a treadwear too low for my needs, 200, according to the Nitto website. I need a 210 or higher. Speaking of the website, when I stated the Invo and NT05 were similar I was basing this off the chart that is given. Both of their wet and dry performance indicators are very close with the Invo scoring higher than the NT05 in the wet performance. You can look for yourself to see the comparison in the ride comfort and quietness categories. Then you'll understand why I tried the Invos instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Zcruizer View Post
    Ok Nick, you sound like you've been around a tire or two. Let me clarify my statement before. When I was shopping for tires, I wanted a good balance of performance and comfort as this is a pleasure car. My car is not a race car and I don't want it to be, buying tires that are barely listed as street tires made about as much sense as putting a fart cannon (catback or version of) on. What's more, I need to keep this car in Showroom class to even compete in autox. The Nitto NT05 has a treadwear too low for my needs, 200, according to the Nitto website. I need a 210 or higher. Speaking of the website, when I stated the Invo and NT05 were similar I was basing this off the chart that is given. Both of their wet and dry performance indicators are very close with the Invo scoring higher than the NT05 in the wet performance. You can look for yourself to see the comparison in the ride comfort and quietness categories. Then you'll understand why I tried the Invos instead.
    All that I said is that Nitto's web site does *not* claim that the Invo and the NT05 can be seriously compared. I never said anything about your choice of the Invo over the NT05 - it's irrelevant to the discussion.

You stated "according the the Nitto web site these are as good as the NT05." That is flat out wrong. They are not comparable tires, the web site does not claim they are the same, and you should not be reviewing the Invos and then claiming that the NT05 is equivalent.

You're right Nick, I misspoke. That's why I tried to clarify what I meant. I was trying to respond to "Reach" and his tire hunting experience.

Results from Grassroots Motorsports' test

From a Bimmerforums post (note this was on an autocross course with 15" tires on a Honda Civic. Your heavy BMW on 17 or 18 inchers on a track may have different results.):

I'm not sure this really tells us much, tested in 15" sizes on an ST civic, and so not including any Yoks and on a much lighter car, but here are the results copied from miata.net:

For the June 2009 issue. Just got my Grassroot motorsports where they did some Extreme tire testing. Tires were tested in 15 inch sizes on a hond civic.

Here is a summary of times from worst to first.

6th - Falken RT 615 Mean time: 35.302 Sec Quick time 35.125 Sec.
    5th - Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec Mean time: 35.209 sec. Quick time 35.061
    4th -Toyo Proxes R1R Mean time: 34.522 sec Quick Time 34.452 sec
    3rd- Bridgestone RE-01R Mean time: 34.478 sec Quick Time 34.430 sec.
    2nd- Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Mean time: 34.266 Quick time 34.238 sec.
    1st - Kumho ECSTA XS Mean time :34.170 Quick Time 34.030 sec.

All tires were shaved to 3/32 nd and test performed on an Autocross set up.
    Woody
    96 328is, 99 M Coupe, 04 330Ci

Thread Information